Sir David Attenborogh banned

janner

Breaking news,

Its been reported that the bbc has chosen not to show all episodes of Sir Davids new series on British wildlife because themes of destruction of habitat etc will  risk a backlash from conservative m.ps and the right wing press, aparently there is one particular episode where he is critical of government policies and the beeb is too craven to show it

I will await the series and I will certainly start watching it because I enjoy watching programmes about UK wildlife (much more so that watching lions in the Serengeti, or penguins in the Antarctic).  As to "themes of destruction of habitat" - I read that one episode would be on iPlayer only.  I'm at a loss as to how that makes it any 'less of a problem' if indeed it is a problem.  iPlayer is still a BBC funded platform and presumably subject to the same charter and rules?

As to "risk a backlash from conservative m.ps and the right wing press" - in general I would have thought that most rural constituencies where you would expect most wildlife to be resident are represented by Conservative MPs.  In general, I would expect the broad "Conservative" ticket to be more protective of rural and countryside areas than the more urban/industrial areas where Labour MPs would be more likely?

Certainly around my (safe Tory) area large swathes of open countryside are being lost to buildings (mainly housing, but some industrial), but the Labour members of the council have been demanding MORE housing, not less.  River pollution (sewage overflow discharge) is a problem - but due mainly to the huge increase in housing and 'fast run off' areas swamping natural drainage.

3 minutes ago, JKD said:

So where/what has DA been banned from ?! Where has this op info come from ?

The original story was from The guardian here  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

However "A spokesperson from the BBC replied: “This is totally inaccurate, there is no sixth episode. Wild Isles is – and always was – a five-part series and does not shy away from environmental content.

“We have acquired a separate film for iPlayer from the RSPB and WWF and Silverback Films about people working to preserve and restore the biodiversity of the British Isles.”

is what has been said in reply.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The original story was from The guardian here  https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/david-attenborough-bbc-wild-isles-episode-rightwing-backlash-fears

However "A spokesperson from the BBC replied: “This is totally inaccurate, there is no sixth episode. Wild Isles is – and always was – a five-part series and does not shy away from environmental content.

“We have acquired a separate film for iPlayer from the RSPB and WWF and Silverback Films about people working to preserve and restore the biodiversity of the British Isles.”

is what has been said in reply.

Thanks 👍 But the question remains,,,, where/what has DA been banned from ?!

Sensationalist post title ?! 🤦🤷🤗

9 minutes ago, JKD said:

Thanks 👍 But the question remains,,,, where/what has DA been banned from ?!

Sensationalist post title ?! 🤦🤷🤗

Never believe anyone who begins a sentence with 'apparently'. It means the source is probably only one level up from the eccentric in the pub who always brings his parrot in, which talks a lot more sense than he does...

12 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Never believe anyone who begins a sentence with 'apparently'. It means the source is probably only one level up from the eccentric in the pub who always brings his parrot in, which talks a lot more sense than he does...

🤦🤣🤣🤣👍

I'm now waiting for another thread to be started about a certain ex BBC DJ who has also very recently 'stepped down' from his job due to commenting about a woman's breasts !!! 💃👋🤣🤣🤣

Edited by JKD

I went off him when I heard him 'advertising' about how one of the BBC/his programs was unbiased... or words to that effect. The beeb is as left as it gets in my opinion but has recently tried to look like its not. Maybe its just trying to shed some expensive staff that show their left leanings a bit more than beeb wants seeing to be leaning.

The Guardian headline said "BBC will not broadcast Attenborough episode over fear of ‘rightwing backlash’" the implication being that one episode had been made but was not being shown on broadcast TV, only on iPlayer. 

The BBC have a different line - in that all '5 episodes' of the series ARE being shown on broadcast TV.  There is a separate film also from the same team members which will only be on iPlayer.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Regardless of this issue, I watch nearly all wildlife programs but I have stopped watching DA documentaries due to his constant use of climate change, environment, human destruction and other words to that effect.

I enjoy being educated but not preached to.

4 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Regardless of this issue, I watch nearly all wildlife programs but I have stopped watching DA documentaries due to his constant use of climate change, environment, human destruction and other words to that effect.

Good post 👍

50 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

This. 👍

52 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

I'm with you also, but make my own mind up as to the 'hidden rhetoric' "advice" 😉

2 hours ago, Good shot? said:

I'll still watch them because the filming is usually fantastic,  I'll just stop watching when the preaching starts.

I watched his first documentaries 60 odd years ago ,they were about The Wildman of Borneo who were said to be Head Hunters and Cannibals, they not far from being stone age , Tribes fighting and killing each other with stone axes and chowing down on their victims in a way of showing respect to the fallen  , it was in these programs that human flesh was referred to as Long Pig !

I once asked him if he considered he had a good life ? he pondered for a moment and replied Yes he had been very lucky to be in the right place at the right time !

I to think he as now gone to far with his views on climate change ,  but that's my thoughts and he has is !  

Edited by derbyduck

On 11/03/2023 at 10:53, JohnfromUK said:

The Guardian headline said "BBC will not broadcast Attenborough episode over fear of ‘rightwing backlash’" the implication being that one episode had been made but was not being shown on broadcast TV, only on iPlayer. 

The BBC have a different line - in that all '5 episodes' of the series ARE being shown on broadcast TV.  There is a separate film also from the same team members which will only be on iPlayer.

The BBC is correct, only 5 episodes were commissioned. Silverback, the OU, WWF and RSPB decided to make the 6th after the series was commissioned and agreed a release approach separately. The Guardian has been asked to issue a correction, but haven't done so to date