Car insurance

Gordon R

Just got my renewal notice from LV - price had increased by 33%. No claims in last 30 years, nor any endorsements. 

Checked the usual - Go Compare, Compare the Market and Money Supermarket. Only one company, I had never heard of, was cheaper. Tried Direct Line, who aren't on price comparison sites - I now see why, double my current quote and 275% of what I paid last year. 

Any suggestions? It's not really the money - I just object to a truly massive increase. I'm sure the war in Ukraine will be their excuse.

I recall reading in the money columns that most insurance products were increasing in price. 

I think if you have trawled the comparison sites then you have done all you can. 

I too have noted some of the ones not on comparison sites are way way north of anything I had seen. 

on a side note one year one of the big insurers refused to quote of the same vehicle we had insured with them for a few years. 
it was stated they were shifting their risk and our demographic and vehicle did not fit in with their new model. We were late 30s with what would be deemed an ‘executive’ car. 

I’m with direct line and like you went on the comparison sites , almost all were cheaper until you added on what I get as standard, then they all went through the roof on price , it’ll always go up and never come down even with years of no claims , as I was told they only count NCD up to a certain number of years , I think it’s called legalised robbery , got to have it by law but they’ll do anything they can to not pay out 

Sam triple is correct on the no claims most companies only count it up to 9 years and a few I’ve seen between 9 and 12 years but few and far between. 

have you tried Adrian flux?  They have always been reasonably priced with a good standard package for me. 

This is being reported all over - lots of people are receiving massive renewals and indeed when looking on the comparisons, are not receiving much better offers. A buddy who drives a yank truck, his went up from just over £600 to £2300 but he has been able to get that to just under £1k with limitations on his mileage.

Another thing that I have seen is that a lot of cars are now being written off with very minor damage. This will have an impact on all policies.... One I saw today was an insurer wanting to write a car off for a scuff on the bumper...

The AA was slightly HIGHER than my 'basic' fully comprehensive Hastings renewal but it included things like legal cover, lost keys, breakdown, windscreen, courtesy car and others I can't remember which I thought offered better value, however, once I had the new cover and cancelled my renewal, Hastings were on the telephone saying they would match any quote but out of principle I declined, this was in January. Good luck

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Tried NFU - double what I paid last year, although the lad I spoke to was very helpful.

Just got off the phone from LV - gave me 5% discount which I took.

I renewed with a subsidiary company of LV, who are on line only, no telephone access,  just emails. Saved around £50 on my LV renewal. I expect my Insurance to take a jump next year, I will be 80  ! A shooting pal has just had a shock increase in his insurance,  he is now 80   ?? 

FLOW Insurance is the Company that is the 'on line' bit of LV.

Edited by Westley

On 05/07/2023 at 12:02, Gordon R said:

Just got my renewal notice from LV - price had increased by 33%. No claims in last 30 years, nor any endorsements. 

Checked the usual - Go Compare, Compare the Market and Money Supermarket. Only one company, I had never heard of, was cheaper. Tried Direct Line, who aren't on price comparison sites - I now see why, double my current quote and 275% of what I paid last year. 

Any suggestions? It's not really the money - I just object to a truly massive increase. I'm sure the war in Ukraine will be their excuse.

What are you insuring 

I think I got lucky when I renewed my Opel Mantas insurance this year. They wanted £230, up from £200 the last year. I was able to switch products (for a club based policy with the same insurer) and added my 1986 Carlton to the policy. Came up at £240. That’s £10 to insure the Carlton! Cheapest I’ve ever payed.

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

I think I got lucky when I renewed my Opel Mantas insurance this year

Is this yours?? I nearly bought one (a mate had one in Germany that I drove as he didn't have a license!!) but I got a phone call from my Chief Tech telling me not to as my posting to Cyprus had come through. I will post a picture my lad sent me from the Ring a couple of months ago

59962F56-F0B4-4972-AF6C-0D8281387244.jpeg

8 hours ago, discobob said:

Is this yours?? I nearly bought one (a mate had one in Germany that I drove as he didn't have a license!!) but I got a phone call from my Chief Tech telling me not to as my posting to Cyprus had come through. I will post a picture my lad sent me from the Ring a couple of months ago

59962F56-F0B4-4972-AF6C-0D8281387244.jpeg

No but I wish I had that guys skills. My coupe needs that same arch doing but I have mechanical skills not body work! 

• 2 weeks later...