Temu

30-6

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

The stuff comes direct from China. Its an attempt to drive out of business the UK retailers with prices nobody can compete with.

Again, it comes down to cost and "fair" margins.

With many brands now owned by investment houses looking for abnormal profits, I feel no obligation to them as the OEM product comes out the same factory.

I can order a pair of Simms waders for £500 from  the brand UK retailer or I can order direct from the factory for £100 for the exact same waders.

There is nothing stopping UK retailers from doing the same and selling said waders for £200. (Fishing Mad Bison Waders).

Temu is the new Argos (mainstream high volume products) but nothing new or niche.

6 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Again, it comes down to cost and "fair" margins.

With many brands now owned by investment houses looking for abnormal profits, I feel no obligation to them as the OEM product comes out the same factory.

I can order a pair of Simms waders for £500 from  the brand UK retailer or I can order direct from the factory for £100 for the exact same waders.

There is nothing stopping UK retailers from doing the same and selling said waders for £200. (Fishing Mad Bison Waders).

Temu is the new Argos (mainstream high volume products) but nothing new or niche.

Yes but they don't employ any staff in this country, they don't occupy any retail buildings or warehouses in this country.  Neither do they probably pay any tax in this country. 

This is the dark reality of the Internet. And believe me, those prices are only temporary to enable them to get a foothold here.

On 09/07/2023 at 09:39, Vince Green said:

Yes but they don't employ any staff in this country, they don't occupy any retail buildings or warehouses in this country.  Neither do they probably pay any tax in this country. 

This is the dark reality of the Internet. And believe me, those prices are only temporary to enable them to get a foothold here.

So when all other suppliers have been forced out of business due to not being able to compete, Temu starts putting up its prices and buyers have no option but to use them. 
Sounds like a good business plan to me; we reap what we sow.  🙂

50 minutes ago, Scully said:

So when all other suppliers have been forced out of business due to not being able to compete, Temu starts putting up its prices and buyers have no option but to use them. 

The Stagecoach buses model, worked extremely well for them.  When they started in Perth they ran a timetable where their buses arrived a couple of minutes before the existing service and for a while they ran for no fare.  Took over the world!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

But they are not manufacturers are they?

They are traders, middlemen, sourcing the cheapest they can find, adding the largest mark up they think the market will sustain and banking the profit at the cost of the consumer.

Consumers having more money to spend is a good thing!

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

They are traders, middlemen, sourcing the cheapest they can find, adding the largest mark up they think the market will sustain and banking the profit at the cost of the consumer.

Absolute twaddle. They pay their employees a pittance and fail to disclose the real  value or marking it as gift. Therefore avoiding import tax and VAT. How about it if they were allowed free reign to import workers and do your job for £5 a day. How happy would you be then ? China is slowly tightening it's stranglehold on western economies and we are letting it do so unopposed.

23 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Therefore avoiding import tax and VAT.

Right because all that lovely tax revenue will be spent wisely.  Have you seen the rate of inflation recently?

If people feel that getting what they need through this means then crack on.

The average Temu customer is unlikely to be buying, say, a bespoke Savile row suit.

Personally I find Wish/Aliexpress/Temu suppliers too much of a lottery in terms of product quality, and the lead-times are usually too long.  If I find I need a widget, usually I need it tomorrow.  So I end up helping to buy Jeff Bezos another yacht ("not enough yaaawwts!").

1 hour ago, Rem260 said:

Absolute twaddle. They pay their employees a pittance and fail to disclose the real  value or marking it as gift. Therefore avoiding import tax and VAT. How about it if they were allowed free reign to import workers and do your job for £5 a day. How happy would you be then ? China is slowly tightening it's stranglehold on western economies and we are letting it do so unopposed.

Not forgetting their Belt and Road Initiative, too. 

6 hours ago, snow white said:

I have brought a few items of them and the price and quantity is very good I can’t see why I should pay double the price for items in this country when the people you are buying of don’t give a fzzzzz about me so I will buy from the cheapest supplier 

Do you think we should also do that with steel?

9 hours ago, Stonepark said:

I’m assuming they’re just another Amazon? If people consider that a good thing, then fine. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rem260 said:

Do you think we should also do that with steel?

Presumably @snow white isn’t  building anything requiring steel certification to BS EN 10025 or similar!

But Im not sure I understand your point.

Temu is a retail platform - nobody is buying steel for critical applications via it.

Plenty of the world is built with Chinese steel, that ship has been literally built and sailed. You need to ensure a robust QA/QC process. But then, you need that with any steel regardless of origin.

Why do you think I am buying steel where did you get that idea some people I am buying house hold it’s like I said I don’t give a fzzzzz what people think if I can get a discount on items I require I will buy them there is no body on here that will turn a discount down I have seen people trying to blag things of this site for peanuts