Best band front men/women (excluding solo acts)

chrisjpainter

As The Ashes hit fever pitch and my nerves got ever more shredded, I found myself listening to Pulp, including some of their live performances. We started taking wickets just as I put them on, and got the job done simply because I refused to listen to anything else, so I am the unsung hero of Sunday.

But it got me thinking. Who are the best front men and women - excluding solo artists? I'm not a massive fan of Pulp, but Jarvis Cocker knows how to command a crowd. Their gig from Reading in 2011 and in particular Common People was a thing of wonder.

Any others? Regardless of whether, as in my case, you love the band or not

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like a lot of bands but Can't think of any better front man than Freddie

BTW I also saw the recent BBC Pulp concert, amazingly I'd never seen them before and I thought they were really good

Thumbs up for Jarvis cocker (I met a lady who's spaniel was called Jarvis which I thought amusing)

20 minutes ago, martinj said:

I do like a lot of bands but Can't think of any better front man than Freddie

BTW I also saw the recent BBC Pulp concert, amazingly I'd never seen them before and I thought they were really good

Thumbs up for Jarvis cocker (I met a lady who's spaniel was called Jarvis which I thought amusing)

No I hadn't paid too much attention to them as a live act until recently; I was always an Oasis fan, but they're boring live. I then stumbled over Common People from Reading Festival and thought yeah, that's how good music live can be! I'd forgotten I had actually heard that gig live...from over 4.5 miles away. Where I used to live was up the hill on the other side of the Thames from Reading festival site. If the wind was in the right direction you could hear the festival pretty well. Some bands, like Pulp that year, didn't need the wind.

image.png.636955cdfe30bf3511808532bdfcc62c.png

Site to house, as the Pulp flies

Oh c'mon people,,,, it's got to be Alice Cooper !!! 🙄

The voice of an angel,,,,, who has eaten the crown of thorns 🤪🥳🤣

Seriously though,,,, I've always liked the WHO, so Roger is up there,,,, IMHO [plus I met him once and he's a very genuine chap 😁]

Dave Gilmour or Roger Waters, depends how many tipples I have had.

Thom Yorke comes in a close third.

Listz!

If he was alive today I bet would be amazing and by historical accounts he was somewhat of a virtuosic pianistic rock star of his day when accompanied by operatic singers.

I could see the ladies of the day swooning and chucking their petticoats on the stage.

5 hours ago, Jega said:

I was fortunate enough to have seen a lot of the previous nominees ,but for me it has to be Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy .

If any one was born to be the front man of a rock band it has to be this guy .

+1 & Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) & Brandon Flowers (Killers)

:shaun:

For me, it’s Rammstein. Lead singer Till and the rest of the band are fully qualified pirotechnitions. There is a story on it, but it’s a long one. Till was a typical East German kid pumped full of steroids and drugs to make him strong for competition but his music is brilliant. I went to see them in 2019 and loved it so much I saw them last year again. Even took the wife, who never thought she’d like it but she loved it. 

D0C10E70-C20F-4E87-8F33-8346285FA264.jpeg