New Land Cruiser coming next year

Weihrauch17

in the very early 80's i had (when i was abroard) a 6 cylinder straight petrol landcruiser pickup..........loved it ...it knocked spots off the Land rovers.....i would love a short wheel based version of that old model.....the steel panels were really thick

I bet JSO are having a melt down seeing this oil burning monster. :)

With the UK due to ban the sale of new diesel and petrol cars in 7 years, I don't think Toyota will be to worried about UK sales as there will be plenty of countries who will still be buying these types of cars well after 2030.

On 04/08/2023 at 09:50, old'un said:

I bet JSO are having a melt down seeing this oil burning monster.

With the UK due to ban the sale of new diesel and petrol cars in 7 years, I don't think Toyota will be to worried about UK sales as there will be plenty of countries who will still be buying these types of cars well after 2030.

That’s the irony of it. We’re going to save the planet all on our own.

Land Cruiser all the way. Worked in Egypt: we had about 30 land cruisers on the crews.Half diesel and others gas. If the local drivers couldn’t break them they will certainly last for regular driving. I’ve had two and were indestructible. They are getting a little pricy though.

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

Yep, same round my way. All Chelsea tractors though, not a speck of dirt and a lot driven by blondes with big sun glasses.

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yes the same here, what a waste.

5 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yep that sums it up round our way too.

The new defender isn't in the same class as the old one and we should stop thinking of it in that way. In reality is has replaced the discovery which was traditionally bought by the better off horsey type women who may occasionally have to tow a horse box or venture off road to park in a field while watching their young play sports or attend a horse event but didn't want an Evoque or discovery sport as they are a bit council. The big sunglassed blonde would have traditionally bought an RR Sport but the new defender has taken that price range and pushed the RR Sport to where a standard RR used to be. The standard RR has moved up a segment to compete with the Bentayga, DBX, Cayenne or Cullinan. 

Land Rover no longer make a purpose built agri/industrial off road vehicle (outside of the commercial rated defender which has been dropped?). It wouldn't make sense for them as a large core of that market are running about in Japanese or Ford pickups that they can't replicate or compete with. Anyone who wants a true old defender style off road vehicle will have gone down the Grenadier route. Land Rover are a changed beast and not one anyone who owned an original defender would be familiar with. 

Looking at the OP Toyota Landcruiser, that's heading the same way to. What part of the usual Landcruiser market would fork out over £50k (will be well over £60k by the time any options or packs are added) for a vehicle that has no more capability than a Hilux at £30k? It wouldn't make sense to any commercial entity outside of very niche use cases. Expect to see them soon at an M&S car park near you, in the parent and child space with two bratty, Ralph shorn children strapped into the back and an Essex-esque mother up front. 

The new model is a "proper" Landcruiser, a successor to the Prado/Colorado. The chassis appears to be upgraded, and it will probably be a bit tougher than the Hilux we get here or the Tacoma seen in the USA. In the wilder parts of the planet, you can of course still buy a 70 series - single  cab, dual cab or troopie. There is even (or was last time I looked) a Namibia special model with uprated suspension etc. Interesting that they are offering the four cylinder 2.8l in the 70 now, as well as that wonderfully incorrect 4.5l V8. The big 300 series (as used by UN and third world politicians) is still out there too but not in Europe.

2 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

The new defender isn't in the same class as the old one and we should stop thinking of it in that way. In reality is has replaced the discovery which was traditionally bought by the better off horsey type women who may occasionally have to tow a horse box or venture off road to park in a field while watching their young play sports or attend a horse event but didn't want an Evoque or discovery sport as they are a bit council. The big sunglassed blonde would have traditionally bought an RR Sport but the new defender has taken that price range and pushed the RR Sport to where a standard RR used to be. The standard RR has moved up a segment to compete with the Bentayga, DBX, Cayenne or Cullinan. 

Land Rover no longer make a purpose built agri/industrial off road vehicle (outside of the commercial rated defender which has been dropped?). It wouldn't make sense for them as a large core of that market are running about in Japanese or Ford pickups that they can't replicate or compete with. Anyone who wants a true old defender style off road vehicle will have gone down the Grenadier route. Land Rover are a changed beast and not one anyone who owned an original defender would be familiar with. 

Looking at the OP Toyota Landcruiser, that's heading the same way to. What part of the usual Landcruiser market would fork out over £50k (will be well over £60k by the time any options or packs are added) for a vehicle that has no more capability than a Hilux at £30k? It wouldn't make sense to any commercial entity outside of very niche use cases. Expect to see them soon at an M&S car park near you, in the parent and child space with two bratty, Ralph shorn children strapped into the back and an Essex-esque mother up front. 

Pretty much sums it up.

23 hours ago, Penelope said:

Yep, same round my way. All Chelsea tractors though, not a speck of dirt and a lot driven by blondes with big sunglasses

Not wishing to derail this thread (not too much anyway).
I was at the dentist yesterday and this blonde walked into the waiting room with the biggest pair of sunglasses I’ve ever seen. She also had the biggest pair of ….. wait for it…. no, not those… lips I’m talking about.
Do these females who have obviously had no amount of Botox injections really think that they look good?  They look so bloody ridiculous. Look like the a-r-s-e end of a baboon😂

Not sure whether she had a Chelsea tractor parked outside but it wouldn’t have surprised me.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I was at the dentist yesterday and this blonde walked into the waiting room with the biggest pair of sunglasses I’ve ever seen. She also had the biggest pair of ….. wait for it…. no, not those… lips I’m talking about.
Do these females who have obviously had no amount of Botox injections really think that they look good?  They look so bloody ridiculous. Look like the a-r-s-e end of a baboon😂

Not sure whether she had a Chelsea tractor parked outside but it wouldn’t have surprised me.

OB

Agree 100%. Give me a natural looking girl every time.

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

I look at them as parodies.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Plenty of people out there making lots of money. 

Cost of living ‘crisis’ only for the working man. 

Yes, the lower end wage earners with little or no disposable income and some pensioners without private or company top ups living on under £15,000.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks fantastic and should take sales from LR. They have taken a que from the FJ Cruiser, new defender and Bronco which all have retro looks. 

If its the same 2.8 as in the Hilux and current UK prado landcruiser then that will be a bit agricultural compared to what LR offer. 

I'm a big fan of Toyota. It will likely be more reliable than the new Defender and cheaper than the Ineos Grenadier.