Packham

Velocette

They have him saying, quote,,,, "But we're killing eagles; burning moorlands and damaging that rich environment. Large parts have been trashed by the country set."

Who are the 'we' , and he must be including himself by using that pronoun ?

MUPPET !!!

I have spent time on the moors in Scotland every year for last 33 or 34 years now, walked up grouse where you walk a long way and fire few cartridges.  Fantastic sport, but mainly for the young - a bit hard going for the older amongst us.  Good moorland management is about keeping a range of ages and growth stages in the ground covering plants (mainly heather) and moorland keepers know how to do this safely and effectively such that it supports not only game, but a diversity of wildlife.  These different growth stages are needed both for cover, food, and insect life needed for chicks.

I have watched eagles and ospreys as well as more common birds of prey (there are LOTS of kites there now) and we see mountain hares frequently as well as red deer.

Managed moors in Scotland do have their challenges, but traditional management is proven to work well - and that does not involve any persecution of birds of prey, but does involve control of mammalian predators (mainly foxes) and management of the plant life to give a range of ages of heather to suit what ground living birds need.

2 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

he also said

Glen Coe could be the Yellowstone of the UK. It has the natural structure but its current contrived landscape is not for wildlife.'

Yet

Yellowstone is a super volcano which one day is very likely to go bang.

Yellowstone National Park is a nearly 3,500sq.-mile, which is rather different to Glen Coe at around 22 sq. miles.

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have seen that several times.........very strange....i think he is mentally damaged

He might well be mentally damaged but who have we got in defence with the same amount of clout , he is constantly on prime time television with millions watching Spring or Winter watch which to be fair have some good clips , who else with the help of a couple of others could stop Pigeon shooting virtually overnight and leave our defence in tatters until they regrouped and got it back for the time being , he will be a constant pain and as soon as he win one fight he will then start on another branch of the sport , this is what we have got to get used to as it is not going to go away and it don't help matters where every so often we see ( keepers ) in the paper prosecuted for killing birds of prey and reports come in at this time of the years where a member of the public have found dead game been dumped in woodland or beside a road , true or false ? , maybe some is and some isn't , but I know one thing , we are certainly in for some challenging  times ahead    MM 

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

he also said

Glen Coe could be the Yellowstone of the UK. It has the natural structure but its current contrived landscape is not for wildlife.'

Yet

Yellowstone is a super volcano which one day is very likely to go bang.

Also, as far as I know, the habitat for wildlife in Yellowstone, as a ‘park’ was in vast swathes, created by man. 

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

Also, as far as I know, the habitat for wildlife in Yellowstone, as a ‘park’ was in vast swathes, created by man. 

There is also the small matter of displacement of the indigenous people that had lived there for 10,000 yrs, but surely the rewilders wouldn't do that, would they ? https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/yvo/news/land-burning-ground-history-and-traditions-indigenous-people-yellowstone

Edited by islandgun

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

There is also the small matter of displacement of the indigenous people that had lived there for 10,000 yrs, but surely the rewilders wouldn't do that, would they ? https://www.usgs.gov/observatories/yvo/news/land-burning-ground-history-and-traditions-indigenous-people-yellowstone

Exactly. Didn’t authorities ban burning at one point, only to discover that by doing so when the next fire occurred it burnt very very close to the ground and was therefore much more destructive? 
I also think there was a natural balance between the wolf and elk population until they stopped farmers from shooting wolves and or elk, ( it’s such a long time since I read about this I may have got it completely wrong! 😀) which had a detrimental effect on both flora and fauna, so one or the other was reintroduced! 

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

Exactly. Didn’t authorities ban burning at one point, only to discover that by doing so when the next fire occurred it burnt very very close to the ground and was therefore much more destructive? 
I also think there was a natural balance between the wolf and elk population until they stopped farmers from shooting wolves and or elk, ( it’s such a long time since I read about this I may have got it completely wrong! 😀) which had a detrimental effect on both flora and fauna, so one or the other was reintroduced! 

Wolves were reintroduced back into Yellowstone and have had a marked effect on Wapiti (Elk) habits, distribution and impact within the greater 'Park'.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

He wont be satisfied until one of the rarest habitats in the world [moorland] is covered in scrub trees or overgrown heather, a home to foxes that will prey on ground nesting birds and a wild fire waiting to happen. 

Yes, because that's his version of the natural world?

1 hour ago, Scully said:

When the fires occur with rank heather and scrub, they are much more intense, often during the driest part of the year the fire will ignite the underlying peat, much more damaging than winter controlled burning. I believe/hope that knowledgeable conservationist know this and wont be persuaded by the hysteria that packham generates.