Hospital car parks

countryman

I had to take my granddaughter who’s 6 to Guildford Hospital today for an appointment, she has a disability badge , I drove 3 times round the hospital car park and not one parking space was available anywhere, the place is a nightmare, I tried stopping and waiting only for there traffic warden to move me on, what is going on with Hospitals and parking, it wasn’t even visiting time. Missed her appointment and now have another date.

Edited by countryman

Its the same up here our local hospital is for minor surgery so they send you 30 minutes away to Kirkcaldy and when you get there you cant get parked everybody just abandoned there cars its a free for all even the disabled spaces , Then they just extended it and built over the emergency car park why ? they actually made all the local streets permit parking it was so bad but it doesn't stop them folk are lazy and wont walk 

15 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Sadly in some areas near railways or factories  it is commuters who find the cost of a day at the local hospital car park is still cheaper than the railway/ public car park.

This is what I was wondering, we had an early appointment and the place was rammed all ready

Same around here.  I wonder who they all are, as it is quite a big car park and it seems to be full 24 hours a day.  I presume a lot of staff.  I hear that ambulances on blues get stuck in the queues of people looking for spaces as all traffic including emergencies has to use the same entrance road.  The whole hospital site layout seems to have been designed by a halfwit.

1 hour ago, countryman said:

This is what I was wondering, we had an early appointment and the place was rammed all ready

I think you will find that most hospitals are the same , when my wife had to go in Norfolk + Norwich for a few days, the day I took her was night mare , I kept driving around in circles and did at last manage to find a place , so the next time when I went to visit I went to the park and ride my side of Norwich and got a bus to the hospital , dead easy and that much more relaxing , when I picked her up again I waited on a free parking place a mile or so down the road until she rang me to say she was ready and picked her up for free in ten minute drop off places .   MM

Edited by marsh man

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

Scottish Government receives £126 per person funding for every £100 per person of equivalent UK Government spending in England and Wales.

Bit simplistic.

1 hour ago, amateur said:

May be, but true, nevertheless.

As above, over simplified. The damage to the UK economy from loosing Scotland would likely be far more damaging than any potential financial gain and I wouldn't want to see it.

Back on topic!  use Dumfries Hospital on a regular basis and my wife volunteers there. It is not as bad as many hospitals south of the border but it is still a lottery as to whether you get a space. Generally I have to drive around to get the odd one furthest from the entrance and that is a new hospital. Curb parking is common. The issue is that site space is limited and the easy option, multi-storey is too expensive.

Missing an appointment though when they are so difficult to come by is scandalous.

51 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Back on topic!  use Dumfries Hospital on a regular basis and my wife volunteers there. It is not as bad as many hospitals south of the border but it is still a lottery as to whether you get a space. Generally I have to drive around to get the odd one furthest from the entrance and that is a new hospital. Curb parking is common. The issue is that site space is limited and the easy option, multi-storey is too expensive.

Missing an appointment though when they are so difficult to come by is scandalous.

Dave There is room to expand the car parking there , at least the staff don't have to pay thankfully 

18 hours ago, Rupert said:

Too many people needing too much medical assistance driving too many cars.

Er NO,  No available alternative, except taxis. They recently re routed the bus that stopped outside the Hospital, now there is a walk of around 1/2 mile from bus to Hospital.  I got a ticket £40 fine, for not parking in a designated bay. It was that or arrive late for my appointment.  I was not causing an obstruction and there were several other vehicles parked in the same way. I can manage a half mile walk, but I feel deeply sorry for those who can't. 

6 hours ago, amateur said:

No, what you mean is it's paid for by the taxpayer. In this case, us English.

I said what I said , i don't need you put  words into my mouth , the NHS  is a devolved issue. If the scotish  government decided there will be no charges at certain hospital its a devolved issue. And nothing to do with the rest of the UK. 

Why should staff have to pay to park when going to work . 

And I speak as a great hater  for the SNP and all they stand for 

I live pretty much next door to our local hospital ( S.c.u.n.t.h.o.r.p.e. ) and believe me parking around here is an absolute nightmare for both visitors and staff . To further compound the misery this causes ,every street for a good half mile radius is yellow lined ,along with traffic wardens who are abundant from early morning until late after noon / early evening . I have honestly lost count of the number of letters from hospital staff that have come through our letter box asking if they could park in our drive for a fee .Much as i would like to help these good people out  i have to decline their requests as i'm not sure about the insurance situation if any damage happened to their car and if i could be held liable or not . When you consider we the taxpayers actually own the hospitals its a disgrace that anyone should have to pay to use them . 

The staff at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle have their own car park but they pay a monthly fee taken from their wages.

Years ago I’m sure remember that one of the London football clubs gets discounted parking on match days at a London hospital whilst patients paid full price 

(it was Chelsea, in 2012)

Totally wrong imo

:shaun:

1 hour ago, Westley said:

Er NO,  No available alternative, except taxis. They recently re routed the bus that stopped outside the Hospital, now there is a walk of around 1/2 mile from bus to Hospital.  I got a ticket £40 fine, for not parking in a designated bay. It was that or arrive late for my appointment.  I was not causing an obstruction and there were several other vehicles parked in the same way. I can manage a half mile walk, but I feel deeply sorry for those who can't. 

Er Yes! there are too many people on the planet for everything. 

It is simply unsustainable, 

Re Big Bob's point about Kirkcaldy Hospital (Victoria) Bob, are you aware of the large car park at the top of Whyteman's brae?  That is the turn down the junction where the ambulance service is stationed and just opposite them is the overspill car park for the Hospital. If you are mobile yourself and able to walk its quite a pleasant walk down that road and into the hospital itself.  Hope this is of help. Pushkin :good: