Pup bit my daughter accidentally while playing.

We recently got a GWP puppy, a bitch, she is approximately 13.5 weeks now and is a fine little pup.

However this evening my daughters (10 and 14 years old) were playing with her in the kitchen. They were giving her a belly rub, the pup loves this and she stretches out back her legs and kicks them in the air.

However they were sitting on a kitchen chair and the pup stuck her hind leg through spars on the back of chair and got her leg caught. The pup got a fright and started screeching in pain and clamped down on the youngest daughter’s hand and of course the two girls also got a fright and were screaming their heads off to add to the chaos/excitement…. Anyway the pup didn’t break skin but she did bite my daughter’s hand multiple times. It was just an accident and everyone is okay and luckily nobody got bitten in the face or anything…. The pup does like chewing and play biting and I find when she’s tired she can get a bit cranky and start chewing hands, but I don’t leave her get away with doing it to me. Prior to this happening this evening she was having a sleep by the fire with me as I was watching telly.

what would you do next in that situation? 

I’m going to keep them all apart for a bit and re-establish boundaries… any other ideas?

Please and thanks?

Edited by deeksofdoom

Its a puppy, it bit because it was under stress and panicked and most likely in a little pain. 

Doesn't sound like it was an aggression action towards the kids at all. 

Very much like when you wack your thumb with a hammer. 

dog was frit  and lashed out...........

im going to be very brutal now...and i apologise in advance

the GWP is a working dog ..bought by you to work with you...your family had no buisness playing with it..........when my kid were at home and my step kids visited ...they were under extreme orders not to play or coach my dogs whilst under training....

once they were trained and working... folk were allowed to touch them and interact with them...under strict rules and using the same commands i used.....my dogs lived in the kennells but were allowed to come in the house and they were very settled.....

Dogs fine and probably won't even remember the incident in a few days much less be damaged goods because of it. 

Ditchman is right in what he's saying. You should probably curb the excessive interacting with the kids until such a time that the dog knows what it's purpose is, has a level of training under it's belt and the kids are aware of what is expected of them given that the dog is a part time pet and working dog. 

Near pointless trying the train the dog if the kids are going to be throwing balls, chew toys etc about the place while your not around. 

Nothing wrong with having a well rounded and adjusted dog but it's very easy to go too far and end up with a dog that just wants to **** about and isn't interested in working. 

Edited by Poor Shot

I totally agree with ditchman and London Best comments.

My GWP is 18 months old and is a cracking little bitch.

She is my first GWP, after having working dogs all my life.

She was a real handful as a pup, as she was out of a litter of 12 pups.

All my dogs are kennelled and she does come into the house during the day.

Supervise the kids and family with the pup.

My daughters when younger would, bring friends home from school and would take them down the kennels to show their friends the dogs, under the understanding the dogs were not allowed out the garden with screaming kids.

They were allowed out under my supervision, and well behaved, unlike some of the kids they brought home.

IMG_2595.jpeg

Difficult to judge your pup from afar, but most pups will play bit, some harder than others, but in your case it sounds like your pup reacted to being in pain and not understanding who/what was causing it, as the pup shown any aggression (snap biting) for no reason to you or anyone else?

Working dogs as pets, there must be hundreds of such dogs up and down the country and I do not see a problem with this, there is nothing wrong with a working dog being the family pet/plaything, but it must be made clear to everyone, including the dog, that play time and training are not to-be mixed, it maybe a case of training the kids/others as-well as the dog.

Any dog, let alone a pup can bite out if in pain and frightened I wouldn’t blame the pup and I wouldn’t assume it will happen but…My concern is the pup is being wound up and not allowed enough down time on its own. If you aren’t already I would have that pup crate trained I.e it spends most of its time in there and treats it as its safe space. Out for food, toilet and a little stimulation.

49 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

If you aren’t already I would have that pup crate trained I.e it spends most of its time in there and treats it as its safe space.

Interesting comment. and I entirely agree.

My present Labrador was the first I have had as a pup (8 weeks old) for many years - and for the first time I used a crate from day one.  She is now 2 years old and still uses the crate (door very rarely closed since she was maybe 6 months) - and it is 'her space' as you say.  She sleeps there, rests there, and it is where she can see me much of the day.  When we go away, she has the crate and still has 'her space'.  Been a real success.  This is taken from where I am sitting typing this.

7266FD4B-D084-4903-8239-D14CD3DEDB27_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by JohnfromUK

IMG_2511.jpeg.c866fc0c0a1b9bd509d906390e871582.jpegThanks for the replies, I do have a crate and I do put her in there when she is tired.

I have had plenty of experience with dogs before, I have a GSP bitch who is 7 yrs old and they are kennelled together. But this is the first pup that the family have had because all of my other dogs were out of puppy stage when we had the kids, including the GSP because I got her when she was a year old.

Problem is this pup is such a novelty to the family now and they don’t understand what goes into training a gundog or any dog for that matter.

I do have a crate and I do use it, but it’s hard when they all want to be playing and petting the pup. I think I can read the pup pretty well, because they are a bit like children where they are tired they are cranky and I just calm her down and met her have a sleep either in the room with me or I put her in the crate, I’ve only started teaching her to go into the crate with treats I have her sitting and she knows her name.

The kids are the problem the wife is fine. I think the main thing now is to sit them down at home and tell them this is the way we are going to do things from now on or the dog will end up biting someone and will have to be put down, extreme talk.... but that’s the only way that they are going to listen. Might even organise going to puppy training so that they can get familiar on how to handle the dog and enforce the whole idea of being consistent with commands and following through on corrections and brush up on my skills otherwise it’s going to be a nightmare.

Edited by deeksofdoom

Just an accident i got bit by a GSP who jumped a fence and caught its back leg between the barbed wire fencing and the sheep wire fence all it knew was i was the one  trying to lift off and it was in pain so it thought i was the culprit for its pain  

Edited by Rim Fire

Sounds like a combination of issue. 

Kids allowed to wind the dog up, not clear if the kids were left alone with the dog. 

Also the breed. Not a breed I would be leaving around kids regardless, they’re high energy powerful dogs that can and do kill big game by themselves. 

Yes I understand yours is just a pup but we can only hope it’s not now learned that when there’s an issue / in pain etc biting out is the way to way. 

Didn’t a GWP kill a child in the UK last year or so? The breeder came out and said they should never be kept as family pets 😬

You don’t get second chances with kids and dog bites. 

The dog has bitten out of pain and fear, many dogs would do the same, Talk about mountains out of mole hills!

That said, going forwards it is important boundaries are set and the children and dog learn what they can and can't do. I'd also put a stop to the play mouthing, as it's fun when they're a pup but not so funny when fully grown and tearing holes in your teashirts.

Definitely not the pups fault. Like with your kids they need boundaries and not unrestricted access to you and your family.

At that age the best thing to do is as soon as the pup gets over excited and starts jumping up or mouthing at anyone is to firmly say no, stand up and turn your back on it. Ignore it until it shakes it off (they will literally shake it off as if sodden wet) then praise the dog calmly when it's relaxed. Constancy on the dog has to remain calm at all times will also do you the world of good when out in field. 

Start building steadiness of not chasing around after or being chased by the children and keep the focus on you. Hard task but you'll thank me later when it's default is to be steady to flush and ground game. 

On a side note don't give the dog unrestricted access to toys etc. HPR's can become self serving/ self employed very quickly. He only has toys to play with when your interacting with him. You are the start and end of all fun.