4x4 choice

So I am getting an itch for a 4x4 again. The last two years I have run a van and been very happy, particularly as I get nearly 55 mpg. I have only once had a problem on a shoot but have had to rely on others for some of my adventures. So thinking of a 4x4 in addition!

Whilst not a lover of land rovers for comfort I have seen some good Defender 90s about at 20 years old. Alternatively an older Isuzu is a possibility and will offer greater comfort. 

Assuming I buy a vehicle in good condition what are the members views on longevity of Defender/pickup? This isn’t my principal vehicle and I will keep the van too.

thanks!

7 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

So I am getting an itch for a 4x4 again. The last two years I have run a van and been very happy, particularly as I get nearly 55 mpg. I have only once had a problem on a shoot but have had to rely on others for some of my adventures. So thinking of a 4x4 in addition!

Whilst not a lover of land rovers for comfort I have seen some good Defender 90s about at 20 years old. Alternatively an older Isuzu is a possibility and will offer greater comfort. 

Assuming I buy a vehicle in good condition what are the members views on longevity of Defender/pickup? This isn’t my principal vehicle and I will keep the van too.

thanks!

what's your budget?

after the beemer coupé my last 4 vehicles have been 4x4's 3 off pathfinders and a navara.

with decent rubber they're as good as owt.

Now have a Mitsubishi L200 after having a Navara for 21 years. Any of the 4x4 pickups are great to drive compared to the Old Landrover Defenders

Edited by RCB56

I use a Discovery 3  commercial.  A van and a car all in one.    240K miles and just wear and tear repairs.

Have to remember it's a van and 10 mph slower in some places.

6 hours ago, wyn said:

I use a Discovery 3  commercial.  A van and a car all in one.    240K miles and just wear and tear repairs.

Have to remember it's a van and 10 mph slower in some places.

Its a car derived van so same speed limits as a car

I have had a few Defenders, my experience is, engine 300TDI, best engine landrover ever had, chassis and bulkhead can be very poor and needs properly looking at, if you can find one that’s been fitted with a galvanised one happy days. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to get hold of and not rocket science to maintain. Every defender I’ve had was going to be my last but here I am again starting to look at 90s. Very addictive once you have had one.

I have a Defender 90.  Bought it when it was 3 years old - and it's now 30 years old and still with me.  Not been welded yet, but getting near on the rear cross member.  200tdi engine and LT77 gearbox both fine despite engine output raised by Allards (bigger intercooler and boost pressure) and running on LWB sized 7.50 tyres (gives higher gearing).  Anything marked Lucas is risky (had a new starter, and various other electricals).  Never let me down yet in 27 years and 100K miles.  Comfortable enough if you are the right size, very uncomfortable for the tall or large.  Some built in features - leaks water in, head linings sag, lights (standard) hopelessly bad by modern standards, wipers poor, heater poor.  Appreciating in value, and still up with the best off road.

Biggest problem these days is stopping it getting stolen.

Isuzu dmax. 

Under 2 ton. 

Doesn't mark its territory. 

32 to 35 to the gallon. 

Comfortable ride. 

Off road really good. 

Loads of space 

Utterly reliable. 

Only downside avoid short journeys the dpf doesn't like them. 

Had mine 7 years from new just a pair of wiper blades replaced. 

And a new set of tyres. 

Edited by mellors
Extra info.

I would get an old Range Rover l322, as long as you get a years MOT on it you should get one for around a grand then throw it away/break for parts if it goes t**ts up. TBH, I've had an 04 4.4ltr V8 for about 8 years now and it's been just about the most reliable car I've had - parts can be dear but shopping around and doing your own servicing (dead easy) will save you hundreds.

If you can find an 80 series landcruiser that doesn't have terrible rust then that would be my choice. No longer as cheap as they were unfortunately. Alternatively a prado (sold here as the Landcruiser) with the d4d engine. The 80 series is built to a different standard than a land rover and like the defender has a solid front axle and can be had with three differential locks, very capable offroad.

9 hours ago, theshootist said:

If you can find an 80 series landcruiser that doesn't have terrible rust then that would be my choice. No longer as cheap as they were unfortunately. Alternatively a prado (sold here as the Landcruiser) with the d4d engine. The 80 series is built to a different standard than a land rover and like the defender has a solid front axle and can be had with three differential locks, very capable offroad.

But will only do 19 mpg.

This could be a factor for many people.

On 16/03/2024 at 18:59, bluesj said:

Its a car derived van so same speed limits as a car

Not 100 % sure in all cases it comes down to rear window fitted ? 

in my case and yes a tad over 2 ton ( laden wait !) But glass in read doors mean I can legally do 60 rather than 50 ! Transit custom 6 seater ! DCIv 

Agriv8

8 minutes ago, theshootist said:

Yes! The 4.5 petrol even worse, I've seen as low as 13mpg on mine! This is why so many were LPG converted. 

I had a V8 110 SW which did about 10.5 on petrol and only 9 on LPG. 

But the price difference made the LPG seem like it was doing 17 on petrol.

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

I had a V8 110 SW which did about 10.5 on petrol and only 9 on LPG. 

But the price difference made the LPG seem like it was doing 17 on petrol.

The G-wagen was around 12-14 on road, but off road could easily drop below 10.  It was a relatively small petrol engine with an autobox pulling an incredibly heavy car and very low geared.