Beretta SP1 Fallin' to bits

MuPPeT_ON_TouR

A slight exaggeration but after only 350 shots fired and 4 outings I was a bit disappointed to see this on my 1 year old SP1

The silver coloured plating has started to peel off the receiver. After the last outing I cleaned it and noticed what looked like a bubble, rubbed it with my thumb nail and it flaked off.

It can't be seen when the gun is assembled but I'm pretty sure it want take long for it to get around the edge onto the engraved sides.

d7e35bb8-c3fc-4fcf-92fb-8804a0c0e1de.jpg

A bit ****** off with that I removed the chokes to complete the clean up and found a tiny bit of weld missing from the muzzle.

38f97d4c-32a1-46ad-9fb1-75b482b1fbeb.jpg

GMK have transferred the reminder of the warranty across and I have shipped the gun back to their workshop. I have to say GMK were spot on and after I sent them pics they wanted the gun back straight away. I'm just not sure how or what the workshop will do to fix the problems.

Edited by MuPPeT_ON_TouR

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 686 eve brand new lasted 4 Sunday mornings got sent back as gun was jamming

12 weeks later got it all sorted changed a few thing went clay shooting second stand jammed again gun would not open sent back again could be another 12 weeks I was told

So had to fight for it But got my money back

gone back to browning

If they redo the brazing on the muzzle will the heat effect the blueing, or is it not that hot? and will re doing the plating **** up the engravings, Is it plated then engraved or engraved then plated?

Also anybody got any tips on how to finish of the inside of the fore end, It is just ruff wood, I want to sand it as I could already see marks on the bluing where it rubs the barrel but also want to seal it, it seems a good spot for water to gather if I get caught in the rain.

All built to a price.

My old silver pigeon from 1980 with chrome barrels was built like Grandpa's tool shed.

The new gear is shiney and everything but strikes me as a bit "flimbsy"

Have to agree with this;know quite a few lads who have had issues with 'new' Berettas,namely the lack of finish on the woodwork and off centre locking pins.

Rushing to meet demand?

Should the inside of the fore ends be finished? Have they just missed this step out? Mine is just dry ruff cut wood which struck me as a little un finished but I don't know how it should be.

The other thing I forgot to say is the safety switch has made a right mess of the finish where it slides back and forth on the receiver, I forgot pics of that but my OCD went nuts when I seen it. GMK said they will sort that too though.

Edited by MuPPeT_ON_TouR

Hi

I had a teknys gold sporter a few years ago , bought it used off Pete Starley, though minted .

Had it a few months and all the 'stonecoat' flaked off the receiver, though never damp wet etc.

Contacted Beretta , they in a round about way admitted the problem was with the coating .

Offered to re coat receiver for free via RFD , but up to a year wait !

So traded it in instead , not good though as was most expensive Auto at the time.

Good mate of mine - Mark - had the metal flaking off the receiver of a Teknys Gold auto. Beretta replaced the receiver, but sent him back a brand new set of chokes. He gained 4 extra chokes and a ding in the stock. <_<<_<

Took about 9 months from memory.

Edited by Gordon R

I have to say my ten year old sp111 was in a different class to my new sp1 20 bore. that said the old one lost the solder at the muzzles and my new one is the same as the pic above! Shame as the Beretta feels right to me over Brownings but not impressed with either of them for these reasons. My Daughters Bettinsoli is better made!

atvb Paul.

I have several beretta's some new some old must admit I have never had any problems with any of them.i think that all manufacturers are under great pressure to keep prices down especially on the lower grade guns the bread and butter model's.i wonder how much a rigeon 1 would cost today if they were made the same way as thirty or forty years ago.as with all mass produced items you are bound to get some problems but I don't think they do to bad really.

I had a similar problem on a 686E with the muzzle soldering which was quickly & easily repaired by a gunsmith. Being an engineer I was interested, and watched him fix it with the soft solder and acid flux that plumbers used to use 50 years ago. There was no damage at all to the bueing and the finishing of the muzzles was better than new. The purpose of the web of solder is to prevent ingress of moisture so it needs to be properly dealt with.

The finish problem at the knuckle is more worrying. Have you have been using grease and if so which type?

Think iv'e had every Beretta auto made up to the last few models no a prob with any of them. Had 686's 687's and had my EELL 20 + years and never had a prob with any of them either.

The EELL has fired thousands and thousands of carts and still work fine. :yes: Bought a 687 sporter a long time ago great on clays but i could not shoot game etc for all the tea in China. :lol::lol::lol: had to go :yes: atb Terry