Best World War 2 Film Ever Made?

chrisjpainter

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, with regards to 'Enemy At The Gates', there's a new film about "Lady Death" - Lyudmila Pavlinchenko - a Russian sniper just released. It has two titles because of the current situation between Russia and Ukraine which did not exist when filming started - it being a joint venture - 'Battle For Stalingrad' and 'Indistructable'

The Longest Day. I was at Pegasus bridge 3 years ago on 6th June & walked the Normandy beaches then to church at St Mere Eglise all sites from film . The atmosphere at Pegasus bride as the pipers marched over had to be felt to be believed.

Also, with regards to 'Enemy At The Gates', there's a new film about "Lady Death" - Lyudmila Pavlinchenko - a Russian sniper just released. It has two titles because of the current situation between Russia and Ukraine which did not exist when filming started - it being a joint venture - 'Battle For Stalingrad' and 'Indistructable'

That sounds like it may be worth looking out for.

My favourite land film has to be A Bridge Too Far. The best scene is when the General asks Michael Caine to spearhead the attack into Holland, and Caine's character replies "Well, I've got nothing else planned for this afternoon". It's what being British is all about! :D

I also enjoyed The Thin Red Line, but some of my friends are military history geeks, and they say it is full of errors. Patton isn't bad either. The first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is class, but I'm not keen on the rest of the film. I like the action in Pearl Harbour, but all the love scenes ruin it for me.

Das Boot is my favourite sea film. The 4-hour extended version is brilliant to watch on a cold, rainy night, and it doesn't half make you appreciate being at home infront of the fire! The atmosphere when they're at the bottom of the sea is unbelievable!

My favourite air film has to be a toss-up between Memphis Belle and The Dambusters. Both are good, but one has a better theme tune than the other! :D