Wahey, they are here!

Underdog

The woodcock have arrived, think we are the last to see them in the land this year. Seen five today.

The foggy damp day started with a squirrel. Tia worked a rabbit around and around for me but I had a real bad flint in the cock, it just would not go off. Shame really, it was a bonnie rabbit!

I ditched the flint and fitted a hand knapped one I made, what a difference! Instant ignition on a passing pigeon, still missed it though!

I was nearing a set of wooded pools that get teal on them so dug out of my bag a vial of steel shot and some card cut to the correct size. I developed a steel load in September, a card wrap protects the bore from the steel, it is only a short rang proposition. Now I only do this once a year with a flintlock before you all go nuts at me, I had to sneak in real close and shot just as they were about to lift, in fact a few did lift but with one shot I got three birds. Kind of punt gunning without the punt.

Tia was worn out by the thick mud retrieving them. As I mentioned, a once a season event for this flintlock, any more of this and it would spoil it! No wounded birds, I can live with it!

DSCN1060_zps56bc8086.jpg

On the way back a woodcock emerged from a wood side hedge and flew away from me, instant ignition from my flint and through the smoke I saw the bird bounce of the ground, Tia missed the action but with her nose and my guiding we found it, it was a runner! It must of been close to thirty yards when I shot!!

DSCN1063_zps2d72ef7c.jpg

Todays bag consists of a squirrel, a pheasant, a woodcock and three teal.

Not bad considering the poor results I have been having with this trade gun, my frizzen spring broke two weeks ago and funny patterns that I narrowed down to the powder! I used a different batch today and done better. I made a frizzen spring from an old wall hangers hammer spring! Works so far!

U.

The woodcock have arrived, think we are the last to see them in the land this year. Seen five today.

The foggy damp day started with a squirrel. Tia worked a rabbit around and around for me but I had a real bad flint in the cock, it just would not go off. Shame really, it was a bonnie rabbit!

I ditched the flint and fitted a hand knapped one I made, what a difference! Instant ignition on a passing pigeon, still missed it though!

I was nearing a set of wooded pools that get teal on them so dug out of my bag a vial of steel shot and some card cut to the correct size. I developed a steel load in September, a card wrap protects the bore from the steel, it is only a short rang proposition. Now I only do this once a year with a flintlock before you all go nuts at me, I had to sneak in real close and shot just as they were about to lift, in fact a few did lift but with one shot I got three birds. Kind of punt gunning without the punt.

Tia was worn out by the thick mud retrieving them. As I mentioned, a once a season event for this flintlock, any more of this and it would spoil it! No wounded birds, I can live with it!

DSCN1060_zps56bc8086.jpg

On the way back a woodcock emerged from a wood side hedge and flew away from me, instant ignition from my flint and through the smoke I saw the bird bounce of the ground, Tia missed the action but with her nose and my guiding we found it, it was a runner! It must of been close to thirty yards when I shot!!

DSCN1063_zps2d72ef7c.jpg

Todays bag consists of a squirrel, a pheasant, a woodcock and three teal.

Not bad considering the poor results I have been having with this trade gun, my frizzen spring broke two weeks ago and funny patterns that I narrowed down to the powder! I used a different batch today and done better. I made a frizzen spring from an old wall hangers hammer spring! Works so far!

U.

Excellent, really enjoy your write ups and pictures, how did you train that dog of yours to take such good pictures :lol::/