First time shooting the MILs pond.

sako751sg

First few pics are from yesterday and then some from the past month or so.
Less said about the stalking the better.Have been oot another 2 mornings for a doe for the pie making but unfavourable winds and the odd schoolboy error making it pretty hard.
Yesterday stalking started at first light and finished a few hours later and after trying stalks into groups of 3,3,3 and 4 we once again blanked.Could have taken a beast out of a couple of the groups but tried to get in closer so wont be doing that again.
After that the old fella appeared and we headed away for a day rough shooting.Him and Mac were shooting with me working the dug and after a couple of bad misses they started connecting and we also managed a hare.The old fella wobbled it with both barrels but it held going out of sight but Jake got on the scent and although we doubted whether the hare had pegged it he came ambling back with it from a good couple of hundred yards.Plenty of pheasants in a couple of bits but shots were restricted due to the sheep so will have to work some bits different from now on.
Next was the MILs for a wee walk round the woodcock bit and hopefully to get Mac his first.Hes had so many chances but with the rough ground hes never ready and has never pulled the trigger on one.
First one that rose neither were ready although the old fella said he was waiting for Mac to shoot,but within another 20m another rose to the old fella and that dropped with the second shot wing tipped around 60m away but Jake found it no probs.
Next one rose less than 15m in front of Mac and when i looked at him he was looking straight at me so he got both barrels,verbally.Couldnt believe he hadnt been ready again so from then on i started placing him to the side of clumps of trees before putting the dug in and bingo,the first flush he dropped it with his first shot.I didnt see the bird drop but seen the smile and knew he had it.Fair chuffed and fine to finally get one.Very hard going on that kind of ground and was surprised that the wee dug had lasted so we decided to do the pond there too as it was getting late.Havent shot this in 2 years since dug but its being well used and yesterday morning the bigger pond was just pure dubs so was expecting quite a few to appear.The troot are still doing fine and great watching them when they start to feed on the surface.
Hadnt a clue which direction they were coming in from so just got tucked in and waited.And waited.And waited,and waited some more!
Was near pitch black,and after a lot of conspiracy theories i said sack it,and we started walking across the front of the pond when 2 mallard caught my eye,and then realised there were a few squadrons of them coming diving in.Jumped back into cover but the 6 shots that followed only dropped one bird with another one peeling off from the pack but in the dark we couldnt follow it.Never ever had ducks come in so late but from then the next 15 minutes was a steady stream of mallard but we had to shoot sparingly at the easier birds.Great wee flight and ended up with 6 mallard dropped although we only picked 5.One of the 5 peeled out and dropped into heavy cover you would hardly see a roe in around 150m away but again the wee dug did a great job considering i couldnt judge within 50m where it had dropped.Thought Rab would be a hard act to follow but hes managing fine.
Cant think of many better ways to spend a Saturday.

Also a pic of a stick ive got made for the old fellas Xmas.Cheers to Old Farrier for the recommendation,some great work for sure.

mac%20woodcock%20002_zpswni6llsw.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20004_zps9fdoa9fh.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20001_zps8vovngjh.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20007_zpsxyzwqtjn.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20011_zpsnkic85bp.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20013_zpsccha12n3.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20014_zpsbgcwst8h.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20015_zpstoqxprhq.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20016_zpsitbnxrtc.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20020_zpszf9igypf.jpg

mac%20woodcock%20022_zpsmvdk97ou.jpg

snow%20035_zpsfvhbtqbl.jpg

Edited by sako751sg

Cheers all.

Great pics as always ....

Have you started on your foxes yet ?

Feeding but havent shot the baits yet.Might struggle as the growth is still very high so might have to change tactics at the MILs.

Great photos sako, what camera you using.
Love the spaniels.

Cheers UD.

Its a wee Panasonic DMC-TZ70.Not the most technically minded so just point and press for me.Does the job most of the time and fine and small.

Great write up and photos , they are always worth the wait , well done to the lad on his first woodcock , it took me years to get one !.

Cheers fella.

Long time coming for him after so many chances and fine to break his duck on them.

Wow great pics some lovely ground you have, fantastic stick dogs look good as well . Your son is growing big and what a experience shooting with your dad and son three generations can't beat it.

Cheers.

When i look at the pics when we first starting going out together cant believe he is this big now and still growing.

As you say,a great gig when you can watch them shooting side by side.

Nice report and some excellent photos.

Strange to see your bales still on the stubble with a dusting of snow . down here I have only used my de icer once this late Autumn as you cant really call it Winter yet with the forecast into double figures later this week .

I have seen most of the birds but I have never seen a Dipper , a lovely bird and a superb photo.

Lastly , I have been admiring the walking stick , truly a work of art . Thanks for sharing

A Nice Report and some Fine photos. Well Done your lad shooting his first 'Cock'..He will always remember that one.!

The stick with the "Broon troot" handle looks fantastic. I aint being smart as where i am located has always had a lot of Scotch connections and the lingo is still often heard and used.

Edited by SuperGoose75