Are shotguns overpriced on this forum

ChrisAsh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have missed numerous bargains on this forum, most recently an Mosin M38. I have also sold a number of guns that have been neither cheap or expensive for the model but the deal has always been pleasent with lots of tea and biscuits! Quality will always command a premium hence older Berettas etc still fenching good prices.

The whole of the UK gun market is hideously ovrrpriced if compared to the US for example.

Quite a lot of popular but quite old (+10 years) fairly basic shotguns (68* and similar other makes) offered for sale on this forum, many 28inch or less

Not one person at my shoot uses 28inch these day all either 30 -32 inch

Seconhand guns dont have a guarantee and no idea of how much use

Now these are not english best guns by anymeans so why the silly high prices when you can but new guns for not much more

This is a strong post.

The prices asked do not necessarily reflect the prices achieved. Market value will determine the true values.

I rarely see guns with barrels longer than 28''. All of mine are of that length. As for usage, one of my guns, a Miroku, was over twenty years old when I bought it and as it was used for the whole of that period on a regular basis for clay shooting it must have fired over 500,000 shots. It has never let me down and I consider the £500 I spent on it very worth the money.

you do see the occasional post where some one will advertise a Hatsan or Winchester secondhand for the same price as new or near as dam it, equally you see some great Browning's, Miroku`s etc at really good prices, the PW member who advertises more budget older guns which have been refurbished are great value,

Guest cookoff013

I put up a gun for sale ages ago (not through PW)

I put it up as a reserve of £750. Near mint Beretta 686s.

I got 2 serious people looking at it, and many people telling me its overpriced. I had some offers of under £100, got told to cut my losses and let it go for "ready money" -£150. I declined.

Sold 2days later - full price.

Once sold a beretta 303 semi great condition under two hundred quid , desperate attime needed the money just been laid off had to pay the mortgage , he got a right bargain , had a mate try and buy it back with out him knowing I was in volved wouldn't let it go for less than 480 said he had it from new ,was gutted to see he was like that

I put up a gun for sale ages ago (not through PW)

I put it up as a reserve of £750. Near mint Beretta 686s.

I got 2 serious people looking at it, and many people telling me its overpriced. I had some offers of under £100, got told to cut my losses and let it go for "ready money" -£150. I declined.

Sold 2days later - full price.

There's always a few comedians.

I sold a Browning Medallist 12bore a year or 2 back. Put it up on here for £300, had 2 stupid cheap offers. I pointed out to them that a RFD had offered to buy it off me - straight cash purchase, not as a part-ex - for £270, and he'd obviously be looking to retail it out for a fair bit more than that.

It went after a couple of weeks, for the full price.

strange that a person will start a post and after 34 replies , still has not taken any further part in the post............

Actually just keeping in the background

I do believe that Guntrader and star both offer true realistic market prices with a bit of room to negotiate on, and most on this forum are great prices just the others that seem to loose reality

Sorry for confusion I was talking about sporting and clays when I mentions shoot not game shoots

I was looking for a Miroku High Pheasant 20bore recently. On GunTrader prices had a £400 difference between the cheapest and most expensive for no real reason. All the same grade all brand new, all had nice wood. I called each dealer up asking why there was such a difference but didn't get very far. Some people are looking to make more money from people who do things the old fashioned way coming into the store, at least the internet and RFD's ability to send guns opens up the market.

On Gunwatch, a 6 month old SP is available for £1,150. Get a bit off that by haggling well, and you are going to buy a gun that will lose £200 over the next 20 years. £10 a year : the same as it costs for your SGC !

I wonder if they loose anything at all after the initial few years. How much was the sp equivalent 20 years ago? My guess would be in reasonable condition they will hold their value? Anyone got receipts for a 20 year old 686?

I wonder if they loose anything at all after the initial few years. How much was the sp equivalent 20 years ago? My guess would be in reasonable condition they will hold their value? Anyone got receipts for a 20 year old 686?

Well for a 687 EL if that's any help

Should I take vat dealers mark up in to account if I sell it and lake a loss or consider it was a usable investment and inflation and ask a bit more as they seem to have gone up a bit

Ask what your happy to get for it most will try to knock you down so put a bit on if it's to dear bony buy it simple

All the best

Of

Got a receipt from 1986 for a 687 20 bore for 510 pound .first dealer I went to quoted 550 got it from another .Next time I was in. First dealers shop he asked me if I was still looking told him price I paid .He said you should have come back for a better deal.Dipper.

Got a receipt from 1986 for a 687 20 bore for 510 pound .first dealer I went to quoted 550 got it from another .Next time I was in. First dealers shop he asked me if I was still looking told him price I paid .He said you should have come back for a better deal.Dipper.

Whats it worth now? More than it cost i bet?

I paid £600 for my 687 sporter in 1989, if it was tidied up a bit I could possibly get that back for it now?

As has already been said by most. For example, a new Beretta SP1 has a list price of £1600, though you can get a discount on that of £200 or so. So it costs you £1400.

An old Fixed choke 686 is at least £800 (on guntrader), with more modern ones from £1000 on there (again, I assume that you'd be able to get a bit off those prices).

On Gunwatch, a 6 month old SP is available for £1,150. Get a bit off that by haggling well, and you are going to buy a gun that will lose £200 over the next 20 years. £10 a year : the same as it costs for your SGC !

I've just bought a brand new sp1 for £1200 from elderkins in Spalding with it fitted to me being left handed

Barrel length is all to do with fashion!!

I personally think its a pile of nonsense with 32" full and extra full chokes on game shoots,that all seems alien to me - each to their own though, and good luck to them.

I shall quite happily stick to shooting my side by sides 26" & 28" barrels, open chokes and sensible loads.

Just for the record I pick up on a local seriously high bird shoot, and had the pleasure to watch Digweed standard shooting just two weeks ago, standing behind this particular gun was a joy to behold, after the second drive I had the chance to congratulate him on his shooting prowess, I happened to enquire upon his set up. He handed me his gun - a 28' side by side Arietta fixed 1/4 and 1/2 !! I noticed his empty shells too 28 grm 5s Lyvale supreme game. Its where you point it he said,