An Emotional Day

WelshAndy

As some of you know I lost my dad last November. I was given a gun that belonged to my grandfather then passed to my dad.

A 2" chambered Skimin and Wood side by side. As I've shot with an over and under fo the past 20 years I was a little nervous to shoot it.

My dad had a stock of 7.5's and 6's Eley cartridges so I had the 7.5 in the right barrel and the 6 in the left.

We arrived at the farm for 9am and headed off to small patch of beach trees. A grey squirrel presented itself so I had my first kill with the 2".

After the wood is a sloping valley with gorse bushes surrounded by bracken. Several woodcock were flushed but none were shootable.

The lab was working great and flushed a woodcock that broke from right to left which I dropped with the first barrel! It took me a few minutes to compose myself as it hit home that I couldn't phone dad to tell him.

After flushing another woodcock which I thought had gone to far for Ryan, I heard a single shot and a shout of joy! Ryan had shot his first woodcock!! I was in bits by this point!!

After crossing two fields to get to another patch of gorse 'twm' the lab flushed another woodcock which again the 7.5 2" cartridge dropped!

The following had me in stitches!

I'd sent Twm for the retrieve and he flushed another two woodcock on the way. I heard a single shot from where Ryan was stood so I shouted 'what did you shoot?'. His reply - 'just another woodcock dad!!

To say he's a cool kid is an understatement ha ha

E7100D91-96ED-41E2-B129-3947CF5B8E73.jpg

CBAA6145-2D94-457D-8533-8AFC15BA7D8B.jpg

CAC162A6-1812-4BDC-ACB4-F1E7D0F96546.jpg

D67AFEA6-1D5B-4202-AC6D-2DA4C50F8A67.jpg

EF82E824-0920-4C85-8C49-97B0383785F6_1.j

In years to come the lad will look at the pictures of this day and recall the woodcock day with his Dad, the gun of his Granddad and the black lab whose work flushed the woodcock. That gun looks like its got good proportions. Money can't buy days and memories like these.bI envy you.