SxS,s Are they on the up.?

TONY R

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few of the Serious game shots I know, myself included......use a Spanish made SBS gun!.......I confess to no experience with and have never seen in use one (or a pair?) of the very top priced Spanish SLE's

Well I don't where you shoot or load but every season I see many people using pairs of AYA 1's , Arrietas, Grullas, etc..

I class a serious game shooter as someone who shoots 25+ days, and normally the bags are 200+.

Look ok to me :) But in kind of jellous of the blue, mine looked like that 40 years ago, the old spanish gentleman is going grey these days its not all gone but its going a bit like me i guess, what to do get it blacked or let the pattena of hard work show its worth?

Think ill just keep it well oiled and leave it as it is. :lol:

Ahh.. hopefully a return to sensible height birds and more importantly sensible loads, as I have said many times before, there are loads of people who would enjoy shooting SxS a lot more if they only used loads that suit the gun. If they take the plunge and get a nice side by side for their game shooting I can guarantee, they will be grinning like a Cheshire cat.

How many times have you heard on a shoot day - I cant use a side by side as the recoil is to severe, then you look at their cartridge bag and see 34 /36 gram cartridges.

That aside I have observed over the years the increase in peoples perception of suitable cartridges for game shooting being heavy loads - this without a doubt leads to loads of game which can only be described as mincemeat - It does our image no good at all, remember we should eat what we shoot!!!

Ahh.. hopefully a return to sensible height birds and more importantly sensible loads, as I have said many times before, there are loads of people who would enjoy shooting SxS a lot more if they only used loads that suit the gun. If they take the plunge and get a nice side by side for their game shooting I can guarantee, they will be grinning like a Cheshire cat.

How many times have you heard on a shoot day - I cant use a side by side as the recoil is to severe, then you look at their cartridge bag and see 34 /36 gram cartridges.

That aside I have observed over the years the increase in peoples perception of suitable cartridges for game shooting being heavy loads - this without a doubt leads to loads of game which can only be described as mincemeat - It does our image no good at all, remember we should eat what we shoot!!!

Quite agree!

Personally, I use Lyalvale Express, 6 shot, 28 grams, Special Game (21/2"), in my Engish SxS, I found that these patterned very well and always felt if I missed it was me not the cartridge :lol:

Couldn`t agree more with the above !

Game birds don`t require fox & goose loads.

Edited by matone

http://www.williampowell.com/The-Linhope.htm

This would definitely take the punishment of heavy cartridges on big bag high bird days. If only they did one with a straight stock and a concave rib...

On the other hand, nothing beats a good quality english boxlock or sidelock

Edited by 14Supersport04

One of the best kept secrets in cheap SxS shotguns is the humble BSA , they can be the basic non ejector model or the ejector models in a few flavours in various amounts of sweetness. :lol:

All are very well made of best materials and are strong dependable and reliable.

Jessops fuid steel barrels and decent ergonomics on the wood work if perhaps a little plain in the grain but acceptable given the pedigree. BSAs are cheap for what they are and worth a look no matter who you are.

I use a lovey victor sarasquita sidekick 26 inched with a Churchill rib model 6ec and also a bernadelli sxs 20 bore also a lovley gun

Victor is heavily choked and the 20 both half and half

If someone offered double the money for what I paid I would not sell

For those that like the AyA 25 here are four pictures of mine. It is choked I/C & ½. I didn’t get on with it for some time and had to try really hard to master the sight picture but I have had some really good memorable shots and days with it.
DSCN7338_zpsygknyrg7.jpg

DSCN7335_zpsu5y1vhpc.jpg

DSCN7339_zpsx4omezpj.jpg

DSCN7344_zpsfye84rye.jpg

Edited by fortune