Why aren't we building spaceships?

lord_seagrave

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short to expensive and to many problems to overcome today but it will come I tend to think we should concentrate on unmanned missions in fact the way that computers are progressing with AI it is just so much simpler to send machines as they do not need air food exorcise etc etc then perhaps some time in the future when we have developed more advanced craft then perhaps we can try again.

6 months to mars on 1 way trip..... Until some sort of either ram scoop or faster than light drive is developed return journeys won't happen.

+1

Interstellar journeys, even at speeds orders of magnitude faster that we are able to currently go, would take many decades to even the closest stars. It would cost trillions and would have a high chance of failure.

Until we understand the true physics of the universe we won't have a hope of covering such vast distances easily.

Just out of curiosity, what's stopping me from building a spaceship and leaving this planet,is there a law or something that would get in the way?

I suppose you would have to let the local air traffic controller know that an object would be appearing on radar for a minute or two.

I presume I have to wave my passport through the window as I pass the ISS,

I must be bored lol

Vulture

Just out of curiosity, what's stopping me from building a spaceship and leaving this planet,is there a law or something that would get in the way?

I suppose you would have to let the local air traffic controller know that an object would be appearing on radar for a minute or two.

I must be bored lol

Vulture

Isn't there a movie about a farmer who builds his own rocket ?

Just looked it up - The astronaut farmer

The reason for no interstellar flight is simple : time.

The quickest Jupiter probe took just over a year to travel there.

Jupiter is roughly 380 million miles from earth.

The nearest star (not counting the sun) is roughly 24,925,371,500,000 miles from earth.

Which is 65,000 times as far. So at current spacecraft speeds, the trip would take about 70,000 years. Each way.

What I can't understand is back in the late 60s they transmitted live TV from outer space from a planet . And in colour. I think it was the clangers ???

Surly they could build a space ship that could travel to the moon with a load of building materials and knock some houses up.

I must be bored lol

Vulture

Newton's Law

Can we get the A14 upgraded first please?

Our biggest problem when we try to leave this world is..gravity.

Although most on here will say that they understand how gravity works, that is not the full picture,gravity is a theory,even our best scientists dont really understand it properly.

Once we can overcome its effects,or even reverse it, so it repels (Think 2 magnets ,south to south,or north to north) we are wasting resources on trying to escape it.

The drive system for whatever craft you would use is then the next obstacle.

Photon,anti matter/matter ,fusion or solar sail !

Whichever,you need to be pushing for something approaching light speed,otherwise your crew are going to have to pro create.

Because as robbiep said ,time is your greatest enemy out there.

The final conundrum ,why ? Resources ? The solar system is full of them,if you can find a way of getting them back home.

New Earth ? To me the only sensible reason,but any colony would need a planet so much like this one (atmosphere,gravity,weather ect) it would be highly unlikely to find one in a neighbouring system,you might have to travel 30+ light years to get there.

The answer to future space travel is a very, very, large space station (city in the sky) with centrifugal gravity which is possible, part of the experiments carried out on the space station are with this in mind, a moon base is no good because the lack of gravity, mind you it is possible for man to live on the moon but its unlikely after being there for a number of years he could return to earth because gravity would certainly kill him.

It's already been done - surely Stanley Kubrick had already built a space station in 2001 and I'm sure that the USS Enterprise was travelling at warp-speed to meet the Klingons, or was that the Klangers