FINNS LAW...

bazzab

The knife laws are obviously not working, nor have they from day one, unless you're law abiding of course.

While I can agree the petition is indeed a worthy cause, wouldn't it be worthwhile lobbying for a change to knife legislation also, or instead?

Definitely as well but not instead, the weapon could have easily have been a lump of 2x4 and not a knife

Oh and signed :D

Edited by Deker

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This law is a waste of time like a lot of other laws. If you think it through to It's conclusion It won't help the situation of the dogs getting injured and having to live with the injury or having to be put down because they can't be given to anyone to rehome because of the potential danger to the public. Some sort of anti stab protection is the answer. Better that the crim gets a bit of a mauling by the dog than he gets a concurrent sentence that means nothing but the dog has to live with the consequences.

Exactly....the knife laws didn't stop the dog being stabbed and neither will 'Finns Law', if it indeed becomes law, which it seriously has a chance of becoming so because of the way our politicians react to problems ; it is the cheaper and easier route to go down.

No doubt the dogs handler was wearing an anti stab vest; pity they never thought to give the same amount of duty of care to the dog.

The dogs head was stabbed. Anti stab vests won't stop that.

There is a possibility that a dog anti stab vest would impede the dogs freedom and speed of movement too.

Human anti stab vests only cover the top half of the body, not the head or legs and they are often hidden under clothes.

With a dog it would be obvious it was wearing it and the criminal would just aim for anything not covered by it..

Edited by loriusgarrulus

The dogs head was stabbed. Anti stab vests won't stop that.

There is a possibility that a dog anti stab vest would impede the dogs freedom and speed of movement too.

Human anti stab vests only cover the top half of the body, not the head or legs and they are often hidden under clothes.

With a dog it would be obvious it was wearing it and the criminal would just aim for anything not covered by it..

I don't agree with much of this to be honest, but perhaps it's just that dogs are considered expendable. I can commend the goodwill behind the proposal, but it will become just yet another ineffective piece of legislation if passed.

The politicians can pat each other on the back and commend themselves that they have done well by supporting public outrage and are now deemed to have 'done something', while statistics will show sometime down the line that it has done absolutely nothing to combat such attacks. But, as long as everyone's happy it's job done.

I can commend the goodwill behind the proposal, but it will become just yet another ineffective piece of legislation if passed.

The politicians can pat each other on the back and commend themselves that they have done well by supporting public outrage and are now deemed to have 'done something', while statistics will show sometime down the line that it has done absolutely nothing to combat such attacks. But, as long as everyone's happy it's job done.

Sadly, history proves you to be absolutely correct.

Signed

What I don't get is how people get threatened with prison by the RSPCA for shooting squirrels with an air rifle but its only criminal damage to stab a police dog. Maybe they should let the RSPCA deal with it

I thought just having a knife without using it could get you put away on its own.

Signed

What I don't get is how people get threatened with prison by the RSPCA for shooting squirrels with an air rifle but its only criminal damage to stab a police dog. Maybe they should let the RSPCA deal with it

I thought just having a knife without using it could get you put away on its own.

This is part of the problem with the law, if you were done with cruelty to animals the max sentence would only be 6months prison (in reality 3) so they charge with criminal damage instead which is a longer max sentence, although I can't remember the length at present.