Coach bolts for gun cabinet

Lloyd90

Need to fit a new cabinet and have read on another thread someone recommending coach bolts for the cabinet.

These ones came with my cabinet and are about 4" long, the wall is an exterior wall and seems pretty solid. (Will also be inside a cupboard.

Do they look up to the job? How do I check what size drill but they'll be as I don't want to mess up the holes.

C3C82B71-1148-4A56-B903-0BBE22B2E95B_zps

The ones Aga man suggested are slightly better, but the ones that came with safe will do the job. Make sure the drill bit is slightly on the small size to get a tight fit. A good tip given to me by my FEO is to add a large circumference washer so the safe can't be so easily crow barred over the top the nuts.

From the pic/experience of what's supplied with the cabinet then I'm reckoning on a 10mm bit.

What's the wall constructions it's going into?

Rawlbolts if over tightened into porous brick, cinder block or airated blocks can have the tendency to split them- coach bolts would just spin and not overly damage the blocks--- in which case chemical is the way forward, can be easily be cut flush with an angle grinder when you leave.

Thunder bolts are an option depending on the construction

Thunder bolts are ideal in solid brick. Put 6 of those in and you could park JCB on the cabinet. And let's be honest, a crook will have to cut the cabinet open with an angle grinder after forcing it off the wall so anyone with any sense would cut it whilst it's still bolted in place.

Op, the bolts supplied with your cabinet are not up to the job- was it a gdk one? - they are simply bolt headed screws and 10mm rawl plugs. will hold the cab on the wall but will provide little protection to being pried off the wall

your options are rawl bolts or chemical fixings.

I would absolutely use the bolts that came with it. I used expanders last time and it was a sod when the time came to move. I couldnt get the last of the studs out but mercifully the landlord didn't inspect the inside of the relevant cupboard.

This time i used expanding bolts again but tiny ones and big repair washers, in the hope they will budge when its time to hit the road again. My FEO was very reasonable about this. Next time I will be using ones like yours.

I prefer using Rawl Bolts. Once tightened properly cabinet is going no where. I know they leave quite a hole once you extract them but fill it filler, paint over and no one should be the wiser. To be honest when I moved recently I pulled the bolt part out of the wall and left it for the new owner to fill. Even re-used the old bolts in my new house as the bolts came out un damaged and where perfectly ok to retighten in new holes. Cabinet is as tight on the wall as ever!!