6 nations

bumpy22

I don't like all this talk of dropping Italy for Georgia. Glad the 6N are not entertaining it. No disrespect to Georgia, but they could not live with the other 5 countries.

Italy have been investing heavily in the future, they need time. Hopefully not too many more years now.

I think there should be two divisions of 5 each with promotion and relegation. Yes there would be some weakness in the bottom of the second division but would add some spice to finishing bottom of div 1.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be two divisions of 5 each with promotion and relegation. Yes there would be some weakness in the bottom of the second division but would add some spice to finishing bottom of div 1.

There already is 2 'divisions' of 6 each. Just no promotion/relegation.

Unless the ££££ generated by the 6N was restructured and distributed evenly between all 12 teams - meaning the top 6 take a huge financial hit - the relegated countrys Rugby Union would face financial ruin.

Plus as I say, the gulf in class is far too great. Italy can almost compete, Georgia would be whipped.

Edited by Harry Callahan

Hats off to England to grind that result out today and play pretty badly.

Think Billy V was a huge miss today and pretty sure he would have made a big difference as the pack seemed very dis-jointed.

A developing French team that could be the whole package in a few years and some immense runners with a great role model in Picamoles who was outstanding today.

England and Ireland both under performed but a very interesting 6 nations ahead.

Agree Picamoles was world class. I think France just might surprise a few of the other teams. Eddie will be looking for an improved performance versus Wales next week.

Regarding England. I thought Ben Youngs had one of his worst games for a long while. His kicking out of hand was particularly poor and Care made a big difference when he came on. And I I'm not normally a Care fan.

Also when you are playing against big packs you aim to tire them out by playing a wide game. We didn't and fell into the trap of trying to arm wrestle them. Poor decision making from Farrell I suspect.

Just read that SA World Cup winning scrum half Joost van der Westhuizen has died at the age of 45. He was diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease in 2011.

RIP Joost

Yes, very sad news.

Saw him at Murrayfield when SA played Scotland in 2013. Very hard hitting seeing how little movement he had, he was already confined to a wheelchair then, after knowing the player he had been.

True legend of the game. Will never be forgotten.

Yes, very sad news.

Saw him at Murrayfield when SA played Scotland in 2013. Very hard hitting seeing how little movement he had, he was already confined to a wheelchair then, after knowing the player he had been.

True legend of the game. Will never be forgotten.

very true a great player. he certainly new where the try line was. remember watching him in the world cup fantastic player. very sad

One of the few players to take Lomu to the ground

Yea I was there and saw Lomu hit the turf hard

yes you forget how many great player there were at that world cup

Another great during that RWC that unfortunately had a short international career for Ireland also brought Lomu hard to the ground was Simon Geghan (sp ?)

A sad loss to the rugby world. I meet Joost very briefly and got to shake his hand when I was out in SA for the 95 RWC. RIP Joost

Yea I was there and saw Lomu hit the turf hard

Another great during that RWC that unfortunately had a short international career for Ireland also brought Lomu hard to the ground was Simon Geghan (sp ?)

A sad loss to the rugby world. I meet Joost very briefly and got to shake his hand when I was out in SA for the 95 RWC. RIP Joost

do you know that is funny i was trying to think of his name when watching the game at the weekend. blonde haired lad but another great player aggressive runner more than made up for any lack in bulk. did he retire early to take up finance or law? if i remeber right

Edited by bumpy22

do you know that is funny i was trying to think of his name when watching the game at the weekend. blonde haired lad but another great player aggressive runner more than made up for any lack in bulk. did he retire early to take up finance or law? if i remeber right

I believe that he suffered from either a serious ankle injury or something to do with his tendons in his foot that stopped his rugby career. He made a cracking covering defensive tackle on Lomu running from the opposite side of the field after Lomu smashed his way down the left wing. It happened right in front of where I was sitting and I could hear him shout out to the other Irish players , "tackle the ****** he can be brought down" and punching the ground in frustration as Lomu unfortunately made the ball available for his supporting runners as the All Blacks are very good at doing who then went onto score.

I've waited nearly 20 years to see a half of rugby like that from a Scotland team. Seymour and Hogg were dangerous running and so secure under the high ball. Hamish Watson, Sean Maitland and Alex Dunbar were fantastic in defense. Barclay made a difference when he came on,and Ross Ford and Gordon Reid made improvements to the scrum.

Ireland took ages to gell. Thought Best had a howler, but Paddy Jackson did well. SOB, CJ Stander and Rob Kearney seemed the only ones to real turn up. Their scrum was so dominant, but as Jim Telfer once said 'a bunch of cats could've pushed it [scotland pack ] over'.

Ultimately the Scots, with Laidlaw at the helm worked out how to win.

England/France game was much the same as the Scotland /Ireland with each side dominating a half, of sorts. The difference was France couldn't make their dominance felt on the score board, so when England came back they didn't have far too go. Picamoles was at his inimitable best.

The English replacements made the difference. I thought Care was fantastic. Haskell brought something too. It is a difficult trick to learn, to win games when not at ones best but England seem to know how to do this. I still feel that this was a bullet dodged by England. But, the harder you work the luckier you are.

Italy looked like a side defeated before the game began. Conor O shea has his work cut out. Even Parisse was quiet. They just seemed to give up second half.

Wales, by the look of them knew they had been in a test match. Halfpenny, AWJ looked good. Sam Davies looked great at 10 when he came on. I have a question mark against North, very quiet. Yes, he scored a try. Didn't think it was special though. The Italian tackling was terrible. Not sure he'd be in my 15 for this week, but who do you replace him with?

This week, Ireland need a win and BP. Italy need to compete. Seems the only match they think they can win is against Scotland.

Big match in Cardiff, tough to call. I'll hang my hat on a low scoring match just snuck by England. Wales, to me have lacked composure. It's a big occasion, maybe to much pressure?

Scotland in France, hmm. Tbh, before the start on the 6N this would have been a game to target for Scotland. I'm scared already of the French pack, Picamoles and the wingers. So much power. Result?....... To nervous to say 😂

I just hope they are good games.

Edited by Highlandladdie