Article 50 ... Good news?

Smokersmith

What we need to do is employ a good divorce lawyer . We want the house the cars the yacht plus child support and maintenance . :)

I also wonder what about Ireland ? As an awful lot of their goods come from mainland Europe through Britain by road we could make things very awkward for our Irish cousins , hopefully not . Britain holds a very good hand and we must not be afraid to use it to our advantage . Changes in attitude may well be coming after Elections in France and Germany and Junkers and co may find their bargaining position weakened if less euro fanatic leaders are elected .

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted out but I work with a couple of 'remoners' who take every opportunity to use every small item of bad news against Brexit so I've had to say get over it you lost, shut up and get a life. One of them is an absolute *** and I no longer discuss football, royalty or Brexit. We have a very quiet day if we are working together.

I voted out but I work with a couple of 'remoners' who take every opportunity to use every small item of bad news against Brexit so I've had to say get over it you lost, shut up and get a life. One of them is an absolute *** and I no longer discuss football, royalty or Brexit. We have a very quiet day if we are working together.

Yes I have someone like that, in fifty years time they will still be blaming everything on Brexit.

A penny on the price of petrol? Wouldn't have happened if we had stayed in the EU.

Petrol goes down? The markets are crashing

I call them Clegg's Boys

Edited by Vince Green

Lets be in no doubt that the EU will do everything it can to make things as difficult as possible

Spot on Vince, Probably very soon we are going to see historic situations where our so called negotiators have slumbered off following copious quantities of free wine and food while the other side concentrated on the small print?

In for a tough ride no doubt?

The idea being that if they knock us about severely it will serve as an indication of what will come to others who want out?

Same tactics historically, intimidate and bully, just in a different order?

Edited by old man

I can't see why we don't look at trade deals behind the scenes with other countries, then go to the EU and tell them what we want and when we want it by, of they try to play hard ball, immediately pull out and go else where refusing to pay them a penny more, their economy would crash and we can laugh at them and put two fingers up to them from across the water like the good old days. (Disclaimer: before anyone starts I jest of course but you get the outline of what I mean)

Dont forget there,s a hell of a lot of Chinese ,Japanese ,American investment here and the world bank is british funded and run,the financials theyre all flapping about isnt theirs to mess about with.Mr Juncker,s european central bank is an empty office block as the Spanish/Greek and Italian basket cases have had it all away and have no way of paying it back anytime soon.

The experiment has failed and only the German bullyboy tactics are stopping everyone else legging it the Greeks wont gone ,even a lot of French want out

.Its going to be a wobbly few years but the end result will be a return to sovereign trade deals and a few thousand unemployable eurocrats with no burocrap to enforce .

Dont forget there,s a hell of a lot of Chinese ,Japanese ,American investment here and the world bank is british funded and run,the financials theyre all flapping about isnt theirs to mess about with.Mr Juncker,s european central bank is an empty office block as the Spanish/Greek and Italian basket cases have had it all away and have no way of paying it back anytime soon.

The experiment has failed and only the German bullyboy tactics are stopping everyone else legging it the Greeks wont gone ,even a lot of French want out

.Its going to be a wobbly few years but the end result will be a return to sovereign trade deals and a few thousand unemployable eurocrats with no burocrap to enforce .

We can but hope.

Banks tend to be cautious, German ones moreso I believe. They have to take this stance as otherwise they would be saying Brexit will be a success which will undermine and create uncertainty within the EU and they cannot even contemplate this situation. I do accept their bearish position on the £ but only in the immediate to short term but in the medium term not so. I've put my money where my mouth is.

UK to EU: "We don't want any tariffs, do you?

EU (A1): "No."

EU (A2): "Yes."

UK: "Where do you want them? The car industry?"

German car manufacturers to Merkel: "No!!!!"

UK: " So that will be no tariffs there then."

(Repeat as necessary).

Simplistic I know, but.

Edited by yod dropper

Lets be in no doubt that the EU will do everything it can to make things as difficult as possible

Therein lies the conundrum.

The more difficult the EU makes it for a 'big' country like the UK to leave, the more it makes itself seem like the big, German controlled bully boy it really is.

Other countries might actually be fearful of the repercussions.

Strong words you might say, but ask yourself this, If Greece wanted to leave, what would its 'divorce deal ' look like ?

The fact that we have had to 'ask' to leave, and are tied into at least 2 years of negotiations (and payments) should tell you something.

So does the EU negotiating team go all in, and tell us how its going to be (as the rumblings would suggest) or try to at least make it seem that a friendly break is at least possible?

But then, other countries considering leaving might think, that didnt hurt much, Im not so scared now.

Time will tell, but the way I see it, the EU is between a rock and a hard place, and its performance after today will be closely monitored, and not just by us.

The fact that it is old and sick will not help, and I dont think Im alone when I say that the fight seems to have gone out of the EU machine.

Ive said it once, and Ill say it again, the project is dying, and now I think it KNOWS its dying.

Think Kidney transplant, We are the kidney thats being removed but there,s NO new kidney bringing any ,yes any of the billions we contribute in so the bleed will be terminal .If you let 1 of your biggest organs leave the blood loss<MONEY notcoming in> is fatal,where is all the money promised says Romania ,Hungary,et al .

We dont have any says the E.U central bank Britannia cleared off and took her purse with her ,well tough tittty says they here,s a few million refugee,s we kept out as we dont want them know we cant feed them all yours help yourself

I see the EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager has blocked the merger between the London Stock Exchange and the Deutsche Boerse, partly because of us leaving the EU and partly because it was felt it would create too large a monopoly on financial services. it will be interesting to see how the LSE's involvement with the Italian stock exchange will evolve after Brexit.

A great day.

The DeutscheBank letter is bordering on hilarious. Most of the problems/compromises it hints at ARE already a fact of EU membership.

QUOTE "Basil Fawlty"

Don't mention the war.

I did once but I think I got away with it...

Sour grapes & long memories being brought to the table, no doubt.

HOW the Remoaners KNOW Brezit WILL be Negative is AMAZING!

THEY CAN ALL PREDICT THE FUTURE!!!

Are they all going to apply for new jobs as weather forecasters, racing pundits, insurance agents, stocks & shares brokers??

Selling their houses as collateral so they can put their money where their mouth is?

Er, no. As they DON'T know WHAT will happen once we regain full sovereign status again & we aren't tied to making decisions that have been approved by a faceless unelected bEuroCrat, working in a system that WE NEVER VOTED FOR.

30 minutes & 2 years away!

Interesting times ahead.

The UK may be the first to leave. I'd be surprised if we're the last.

A great day.

The DeutscheBank letter is bordering on hilarious. Most of the problems/compromises it hints at ARE already a fact of EU membership......

The UK may be the first to leave. I'd be surprised if we're the last.

Totally agree.

If Deutsche Bank said they are bearish on Sterling then a) you can bet the opposite and b) they should talk to (Steady) Eddie George - not that implanted biased Canadian Remoaner?

The Irish called their pre-Euro currency the Punt because it rhymes with Bank Manager.

Edited by Eyefor

The Irish called their pre-Euro currency the Punt because it rhymes with Bank Manager.

Any Independent Scotland should similarly adopt the punt, rather than the Pound...while they're withering on the vine as their pending EU application is passed from pillar to post (realistically filed "pending - ignore")

Turns out that the potential NewScottish currency also rhymes with Sturgeon.

It's a winner, as is she!

(first past the post in the 4.30 steeplechase @ Musselburgh)

Scotland already has its own currency so I don't see what the problem is. They would have to be madder than a box of frogs to go into the Euro

The euro, the currency that the UK is about to stop propping up with the uks working population's hard earned money, I wonder what it'll be worth after we've pulled out.

The euro, the currency that the UK is about to stop propping up with the uks working population's hard earned money, I wonder what it'll be worth after we've pulled out.

Probably much the same, as the UK, being outside the euro was not obliged to support it as part of our membership of the EU, only the part of being a member of the IMF, which we still will be obliged to do!

Edited by MrM

Scotland already has its own currency so I don't see what the problem is. They would have to be madder than a box of frogs to go into the Euro

The problem is it's backed by the BoE and when the question came up at the last referendum every single political party said that if Scotland left the union that arrangement would cease. So, nothing to stop them tying the Scottish pound to Sterling, but in the event of a major financial crisis there would be no BoE help or guaranteeing of loans.