Are you thinking of taking up wildfowling?

mudpatten

Just a quick reminder to those of you who are thinking about taking up fowling for the coming season.

All clubs are different in the way that they operate but now is a good time to start to put out feelers towards your intended club.

The season may be a long way off but too many would - be fowlers leave trying to join a club until it`s too late.

Trying to join in September will be pushing your luck with many clubs who close their books well before the season starts.

If you`re new to shotgun shooting and looking to get a foot in the door, fowling could well be the place to start.

Edited by mudpatten

No other branch of shooting will give you the thrills, experiences and rewards of wildfowling. The anticipation of waiting behind a muddy creek bank while a short distance away a thousand geese are waking with the new dawn, the experience of the beauty of a rising moon with the darting shadows of wigeon moving under it and the rewards of a shot or two while most other shooters are still asleep in bed. Finally the satisfaction of sitting back at the end of flight , a brace of duck tucked into the grass beside you as you sip hot coffee and watch the distant turning tide. There will be days of disappointments , when you wonder what you are there for as the rain slants down and there is not a bird in the sky , but also days of wonder as the fowl criss cross the sky freshly arriving from only they know where , the bag may be light , but the sights are just magic and days when duck pour into your flash at dusk and you can hardly reload your gun fast enough.

Wildfowling is not a sport for those who want to kill large numbers of birds , but it a sport for those who want to sit and stare taking in the natural world around them and take a bird or two home for the pot. I would say to every shooter , just try it once in your life time.

Edited by anser2

Another bonus if you join early is that it gives you time to get to know the foreshore/marshes early before you start shooting there

(usually in dark difficult conditions)

I'm a sucker for reccies, I like to know where the gullies are and how the tide behaves well before open season.

No other branch of shooting will give you the thrills, experiences and rewards of wildfowling. The anticipation of waiting behind a muddy creek bank while a short distance away a thousand geese are waking with the new dawn, the experience of the beauty of a rising moon with the darting shadows of wigeon moving under it and the rewards of a shot or two while most other shooters are still asleep in bed. Finally the satisfaction of sitting back at the end of flight , a brace of duck tucked into the grass beside you as you sip hot coffee and watch the distant turning tide. There will be days of disappointments , when you wonder what you are there for as the rain slants down and there is not a bird in the sky , but also days of wonder as the fowl criss cross the sky freshly arriving from only they know where , the bag may be light , but the sights are just magic and days when duck pour into your flash at dusk and you can hardly reload your gun fast enough.

Wildfowling is not a sport for those who want to kill large numbers of birds , but it a sport for those who want to sit and stare taking in the natural world around them and take a bird or two home for the pot. I would say to every shooter , just try it once in your life time.

This is exactly why i regret not giving it a go before i retired from shooting.

I couldn't imagine not going wildfowling. Pigeon shooting is my bread and butter, but there is something (many things) so special about the pursuit of ducks and geese on the shore. Beats any driven shooting hands down.

It is unfortunate that some folk are put off trying this magnificent sport because they can't bear a bit of cold weather or mud.

Edited by motty

Likewise - apart from the Derbyshire and having a dog bits.

Been thinking about using the BSC Wildfowling Permit Scheme to give it a try. Anyone got experience of using the scheme ? Just wondering if I ought to apply now or wait until nearer the start of the season. I'm in Cheshire so the Mersey estuary is not a million miles away.