Expanding ammunition

ninja_fox

Just got back from the local gun shop and they have had a letter from Essex police saying that from the 2nd May there will not be a specific allowance on FACs to differentiate between expanding and target ammunition (except for some specific pistol calibers that will still need to be conditioned).

So looks like after next week there's going to be one less piece of beaurocracy and almost all expanding ammo becomes S1 instead of S5.

I think you have to stick to your allowance but you can have either expanding or fmj. If your a target shooter you could use expending in theory. And you could also buy online :)

Ya think?

For clarity.

As IT PRESENTLY stands, any "Section. 5" type bullets count towards your FAC ammunition allowance irrespective of loaded status. They cannot be bought mail order & you need a specific entitlement on your FAC for such bullets, in addition to the ammunition allowance.

From the change date.

No restrictions on how many sporting type hollow point/soft point bullets you can own. (same as fmj or target bulets)

No separate FAC permission required.

No need for face to face sales or RFD involvement..buy through the mail for delivery to your home address.

The only totals that go toward the FAC allowance will be loaded rounds....NOT the loose components irrespective of type.

The only totals that go toward the FAC allowance will be loaded rounds....NOT the loose components irrespective of type.

That makes perfect sense. It was always thus when I reloaded for handguns.

I could never understand what purpose was served by making expanding anything other than S1.

Just got back from the local gun shop and they have had a letter from Essex police saying that from the 2nd May there will not be a specific allowance on FACs to differentiate between expanding and target ammunition (except for some specific pistol calibers that will still need to be conditioned).

So looks like after next week there's going to be one less piece of beaurocracy and almost all expanding ammo becomes S1 instead of S5.

Hold on there boy; before you all ring up your dealership and order 10,000 of your favourite bullet where's the proof behind all of this? Where's the statement from any of the orgs. Is this nationwide or is it just Essex? One random post on here doesn't necessarily make it official. Not that I disbelieve the op. it would be really good to go back to just ringing up, ordering what you want, paying by card and the stuff arriving in the post.

I wonder how Gloucestershire firearms will digest this, from reading the info you can stock up on how many of whatever calibre you want, as long as you don't put them in a case. Does this mean that Aldi will now be selling bullets. :yes::yes: Worth stocking up with enough bullets to see me through my shooting days and not having to count every darn bullet in case of an inspection, may even start importing em and selling em from my shed, you could make a killing when ammo is in short supply.

I have just purchased 200 what was classed as section 5 bullets from Kranks. No problem.

As I understand it you can now purchase what you will, in however much amount you want, in what ever calibre you want.

The onus is still on you not to have loaded cartridges in your possession in excess of what you are conditioned to have on your FAC.

At last some common sense.