Shotgun Refurb - Blue the Barrels, Fix the Action, Repair the Stock

Castle

I was left with a slightly darker grey barrel that, initially, was not entirely uniform. I then started the process again. And again. And again. In total I did 7 treatments, 1 per day each day for a week. Most of that time was spent with the barrels hanging over the bath (my wife was not that pleased.)

image_67.jpg

image_73.jpg

image_71.jpg

When it was dark enough, I cleaned it really thoroughly for a final time then painted it with engine oil. I have heard that people use old engine oil to get a blacker colour but that seemed like a lot of faff. I used new oil, liberally applied. I then left it dripping in oil for 48 hours.

image_74.jpg

After that time I cleaned it up, oiled with gun oil and polished the bores which were looking grotty but not rusted. I attribute this to always taking the barrels out of the water when they were still hot enough to quickly dry themselves.

As a finishing touch I wrapped the threads of the bead in masking tape and then gripped them in the chuck of an electric drill. I put some Brasso on a duster and then spun the bead on the duster until it was shiny and smooth.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your method of blueing is simular to mine which is my own recipe and I have used for more than 50 years known has Birmingham Black ,Always remember when using this methord always plug the muzzle and breech of the barrels once they are decreased. I use artist large brush dipped in the solution and to get a good even rust you need a long strokes of the solution from the muzzle to the breech, short stroke of the brush gives you a patchy finish allow 12 hours for a good rust and cover with boiling water and let stand till black .Remove with a soft coarse cloth and repeat if a deeper colour is needed

Feltwad

PART 10

SHOOTING IT

Once assembled I took it to a range, donned Kevlar gloves, eye protection and a thick jacket. Keeping my face away from the stock (in case it split) I fired off a dozen cartridges and then inspected it for any signs of cracking. Everything looked fine so I carried on. In total I fired 200 rounds that first day with no issues at all.

That was two years ago and I have put thousands of rounds through it since then with everything looking ship shape. I love it more than any other gun I own (probably because of the time invested in it). It shoots PoA/PoI rather than the pattern sitting above the bead like my other guns. This makes it awkward swapping between them but apart from that it’s a blast.

I cannot stress how little experience I have with this but having the gun for free encouraged me to give it a go and I am delighted with how it turned out. If anyone has any questions then please ask.

image_75.jpg

image_76.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

Thanks everyone. I am really pleased with the way the metal turned out and I can tolerate the woodwork. I hope that this thread is of use to people in the future; I certainly spent a long time trawling through the depths of this forum to glean advice from other people that have done things before.

Lovely job! @castle, where did you buy the screwdrivers? I was pondering making a set using cheap screwdrivers, removing the hardening, grinding + re-hardening...

Also, why did you remove the checkering, was it too worn?

The barrels blacking process sounds fascinating tho, however most of the pics don't work in the forum post ! Would you fix that, it's very interesting!

Lovely job! @castle, where did you buy the screwdrivers? I was pondering making a set using cheap screwdrivers, removing the hardening, grinding + re-hardening

You'd be much better off starting from scratch buze, there's no telling what grade of steel "cheap" screwdrivers are made of.

A nice piece of silversteel bar, cherry red and hammered into shape, dressed with a fine file and wet and dry, hardened and tempered. It'll last.