Marriage question for you all

mattyg1086

My wife and I have been together since we were teenagers but the last few years I guess we have been slowly changing. She smoked weed at the weekend with her friends and I am disgusted with her for it I never thought shed do that and I liked the fact she hadn't and was inoccent of these sort of things. I've been on the sofa since and wondering wether to leave or stay I cannot stand women who smoke it's so unattractive. Am I being stupid? Should I stay? I'll always love her but this has turned me right off her now oh and just to make it more complicated we have two children together

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I have been together since we were teenagers but the last few years I guess we have been slowly changing. She smoked weed at the weekend with her friends and I am disgusted with her for it I never thought shed do that and I liked the fact she hadn't and was inoccent of these sort of things. I've been on the sofa since and wondering wether to leave or stay I cannot stand women who smoke it's so unattractive. Am I being stupid? Should I stay? I'll always love her but this has turned me right off her now oh and just to make it more complicated we have two children together

Blimey, a post and a half. What was her reason for doing it and her attitude towards how you feel?

Are you disgusted because she took drugs or are you disgusted because she did something she knew you wouldn't like?

If its the latter and you make a point of telling her what you expect from her she might be trying to tell you to back off and let her make her own choices.

My wife smokes, I dont we get on fine.

Should she not do things that you don't like? She's an individual, not a mirror image of you?

Do you ride a motorbike, kill live animals / birds with guns - maybe she hates them all.

Do the maths. If she scores 5/10 and above - stay. If not, part as friends and get on with your life. Just remember, she might start doing the maths also?

Eyefor (43 years married).

Is that your only worry? She had a toke? Or was it who she was with? Where she was? Time she got home? Etc etc

I don't disagree that it's not the best thing to be doing, especially with kids in the mix.

Talk to her. If you can't discuss this like adults then you have deeper issues as a couple.

If you're on the sofa and she hasn't asked you to come to bed, then again there are deeper issues.

To throw a marriage down the pan over a smoke is daft. Doesn't matter what your moral compass is, hers may be different and she may have her own reasons. We can't like everything our partners do, not sure that utopia exists in any relationship.

Talk, talk some more, then talk again.

There are far worse things than having a bit of weed, get over the 'drug' thing ,it will be legal in this country very soon.

Do you drink ? Go out with the lads ?

2 kids ,and youre thinking about leaving them because she had a spliff ?

Get over it, quicktime.

Another 'blimey' from me too.

On a serious note, there will be nothing that PW members will be able to help you with unfortunately.

On a lighter note, and you seem to need lifting in spirits, put up a picture of her and we will have a vote on it.

If your basing your decision solely on the fact she smoked weed then your being ridiculous, I hate drugs to, but that would mean having a chat and asking her what's going on if it were me, it sounds to me your already not happy about something with your relationship, if your thinking of leaving her for doing drugs once.

Grow up and deal with it or ship out but don't use that feeble excuse to justify it because it simply doesn't. If she's had to walk on eggshells to avoid offending you in more tangible ways she might welcome the idea.

Edited by Dave-G

it sounds very much like youre just fed up with the relationship , and youre looking for an excuse to leave(welcome to married life), shes probably just as fed up with you . marriage isnt great all of the time , sometimes you just need to get your head down and slog on until things are right again.

Well sorry but I don't feel like I've got anywhere to turn to and this seemed like as good a place as any as it's kind of impartial and we don't really know each other do we. I think it's time we went to marriage councelling. The problem is I never though she would even consider smoking weed untill her friends started on about it what if they suggest she try something else next. The stupid image I had of her as a sweet and innocent wife has gone now and that was something that I really liked about her among many other things. And I just saddens me. I have tried to provide a good life for them all but we don't do hardly any of the things that we used to.

something is amiss.............whats said is said....and difficult to undo...

edit........

had a think about this....and auntie ditch say's..

"its been 40 years since i had a joint....so it is not catching......why dont you sit down with the mrs and share a nice fat joint together ?....you well get really mellow....slag each other off and laugh till you both cry.....then get really hungry and have a mega BBQ"

that will do a darn sight more good and sense , rather that an hour at the marrige guidence office............. :good:

this is said in all seriousness and not jest...

Edited by ditchman

Maybe youve completely misunderstood her and have been projecting your idealised expectations on her and she has had enough, this being her way of kicking back.

It sounds like you're resentful of her friends and fearful that they have more influence than you do.

The biggest risk I can see is that the more you freak out on the basis of the person you wanted her to be the faster she will disappear over the horizon.

Well sorry but I don't feel like I've got anywhere to turn to and this seemed like as good a place as any as it's kind of impartial and we don't really know each other do we. I think it's time we went to marriage councelling. The problem is I never though she would even consider smoking weed untill her friends started on about it what if they suggest she try something else next. The stupid image I had of her as a sweet and innocent wife has gone now and that was something that I really liked about her among many other things. And I just saddens me. I have tried to provide a good life for them all but we don't do hardly any of the things that we used to.

OK, fair enough. It's probably just a 'small thing' to our minds being a symptom of other more serious/deeper things. Get professional help eg marriage guidance pronto. Don't let this get any further as the longer it goes on - ie you feeling like this - the more difficult it will be to solve. A marriage like you've had ie with kids, is precious so do all you can to save it. Good luck.