Shotguns stolen over weekend

Pigeonshooter22

Just had a email from our constabulary to make us aware that 7 shotguns were stolen on the weekend in 4 different incidents. A couple were stolen from a vehicle while the occupants were at celebrations (guessing a pub after a shoot by how its worded)

Their licences are going to be removed for this.

Shotguns aren't allowed to be left locked in a car I take it? I pick up, so not sure about this ethics of this but I'm pretty sure every shoot I've been to they leave their guns in the car when going to the pub, no one brings them in or takes them home. :|

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

I was told you could have the shotgun in the car but should always take the forend with you to make it unusable also hide it under a coat or blanket.

Unfortunately most guns will fire with the forend off, but most can't be recocked easily. Most can also be re-cocked with the forends off, though on many designs (but not all) this requires some knowledge.

I agree that this is advice often given, but it isn't actually as effective as many people think. It doesn't apply to semi autos or a few slide forward forend o/u guns either.

Edited by JohnfromUK

The subject of security of firearms when away from home is covered in the "Guidance". I would have expected every gun owner to have read it and fully understand their obligations to comply.

This paragraph seems to cover it well..................

d) If firearms are regularly carried in such a vehicle, provision should be made for securing the firearms to the vehicle’s structure. For example, security cases, cage, cable or clamp.

Ignore it at your own peril !!

The subject of security of firearms when away from home is covered in the "Guidance". I would have expected every gun owner to have read it and fully understand their obligations to comply.

This paragraph seems to cover it well..................

d) If firearms are regularly carried in such a vehicle, provision should be made for securing the firearms to the vehicles structure. For example, security cases, cage, cable or clamp.

Ignore it at your own peril !!

Guidance and Should are the key words and it's something I personally follow.

I may be incorrect on this and someone may be able to clarify. I thought that the gun stolen from car scenario has been tested in court and it was ruled in favour of the licence holder (I assume it was out of sight and the car locked etc.)

It's harder to defend leaving them while in the pub and certainly round here the police view it dimly as it isn't seen as travelling to or from shooting.

Personally when we do it is out of sight forend off and car is deadlocked and alarmed with a gwp sitting in the back. There is usually more to these stories and people have got lapse security wise

Guns in cars after shoots represent easy targets.

I do believe that provided that the gun is stored out of sight in a locked car then it is still covered by most insurance. However I am never sure how to lock my own car when I have a dog in it without setting off the alarm.

Guns in cars after shoots represent easy targets.

I do believe that provided that the gun is stored out of sight in a locked car then it is still covered by most insurance. However I am never sure how to lock my own car when I have a dog in it without setting off the alarm.

Try locking it with the key NOT the button on the fob

All the best

Of

As long as the shotgun is out of sight and all reasonable attempts have been made to lock/ secure it’s unauthorised removal NO law has been broken. No SGC certs will be revoked unless there is more to this story. .

I would hope the above is correct, but nowadays the polis seem very quick to try to take guns off them.

I think in charlies quote it depends wot u class as 'regular'? Once a week, fortnight or 10 times a year over 3 months (every fortnight throu pheasant season)

U have to take reasonable precautions when guns are outside the cabinet. If u often go to the pub after a shoot I would be looking to do something extra for my own piece of mind.

Even splitting the gun up and hiding the pieces separately or running a small chain/cable lock down throu the barrel/trigger guard.

I'd imagine any one stealing a gun in a pub car park is looking for a quick smash and grab not mooching about looking for pieces

The FC rangers have cabinets fitted in there work vans but they could be using firearms most days as potentially leaving in van unattended to wit guns inside (waiting between a morning/evening stalk if at far end of there beat)

Guidance and Should are the key words

Since the College of policing has instructed Chief Constables to follow APP which states that they should follow and adhere to the "Guidelines", I would suggest that, we as certificate holders, are also required to do so and that no longer can we use the excuse "but it's only guidelines" when it doesn't suit our needs.

Firearms licensing departments must provide a service which is consistent nationally. Forces should, therefore:

• align their licensing activities with this APP and the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law
  • work together through the regional leads and stakeholder engagement to meet firearms licensing priorities
  • implement policy issued by the national policing lead.

Now that the "Guidelines" have an "obliged to follow" status, I can't see a Judge upholding an appeal against a certificate revocation based on a "but they are only guidelines" defense.

Edited by CharlieT

Only time my guns are left in the motor is on the petrol station forecourt if I need anything on the way home, always in sight. I wouldn't put my licence at risk for the traditional drink following a shoot, after the hoops I had to jump through to get my ticket.

Gutted for those involved though, probably decades of trouble free after shoot drinks in years gone by, thieving toe rags are obviously getting smarter.

Haha

Sorry,

Its this common sense thing again isn't it. You leave a firearm in a car, therefore you must ensure you take every possible opportunity to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to remove it from you car. Most will be opportunists, seeing inside you vehicle and chancing it. You then have those that target shooters, they will possibly follow you from a clay shoot, or game shoot, or know your movements from previous surveillance.

You can buy cable locks, vehicle safes, plastic coated chains and a padlock for extra security if you not happy with the normal security of you car,van or truck.

Think like a criminal, and act on your thoughts, ie improve your security if you think you need to.

I was once told that more guns are stolen from vehicles at shooting grounds than anywhere else, and I can quite believe it if the clay ground I shoot at is anything to go by. Every time you can see people coming back, depositing their shotguns in the car then disappear in to the clubhouse for an hour for lunch, either solid, liquid, or both. Quite unbelievable. There is no CCTV in the car park, and you never know who is sat in that car with tinted windows or watching from the small hill over the road with binoculars. I ALWAYS take my gun in with me after I've shot, and really can't understand why others don't also.