Evil Elvis

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Don't mean to pick on u EE but I'm more shocked saddened by ur attitude to it.

There is a wealth of people who definitely write as thou they have vast experience and most are saying it's not a very clever or sporting shot to take.

How u can even compare missing a 30m shot to missing 1 at 167m is just silly. While everyone can miss the odd 30m shot if ur missing many u should be checking ur scope or practising more, u could aim perfectly for the 167m shot and just differences in the bullets flight could make the bullet miss never mind human error

Have a read for urself about MOA, if u shot sub MOA groups at 50m u'd be under 1/2" groups, that same sub MOA group at 100m stretches to 1" and at 150m ur 1.5".

And according to those clips its really pretty much impossible to consistently shoot sub MOA groups past 100m, and u really need to be shooting that to make a clean kill

To shoot sub MOA groups outpast100m can take a bit of doing even of a bipod with factory ammo, so when u start allowing for drop and wind drift at 150m soto shoot that of sticks at nite is really an Olympic achiement

There is a wealth of people who definitely write as thou they have vast experience and most are saying it's not a very clever or sporting shot to take.

so many have said but why? we are there for vermin control, if he can do it and do it consistently then what difference does it make whether is 30 or 150 and long as he is killing them and hes doing it safely? Hes happy with his shooting the farmer is massively happy with the 50+ bunnys hes killed cleanly in the first month of shooting it with rimfire. Ive yet to see him have to dispatch one after by hand. and seen only one miss.

everyone has missed the point on my 30m comment, I have yet to see him balls up a shot at any range except for one miss, I have seen a few people from this board who consistently shoot out of cars at close ranges have to get out and stretch a few necks 

my point was you can mess it up at any range, i dont condone it but it happens to us all: anyone saying it dont is a liar!!

I find that very hard to believe he never misses at those ranges. He really should be trying out for olymipcs if that is the case

If my head keepers caught me shooting at anything at that range with subs I would of got my bum kicked.

If u really can't see the difference and the marigns for error at those distances.

To be honest I probably wouldn't even attempt to shoot a fox at 167m of a single stick (twin sticks or tripod possibly?) in the dark, and that's with a 223 where I don't have to worry about drop or wind drift.

I may not claim to be a brilliant shot but I also don't miss very many and don't have many lamp shy foxes either.

I have also in the past (like many others I'm sure) shot 100 plus rabbits in a night and never had the need to shoot past 80 odd m

I think delwint has made the best most recent post

1 hour ago, Evil Elvis said:

so many have said but why? we are there for vermin control, if he can do it and do it consistently then what difference does it make whether is 30 or 150 and long as he is killing them and hes doing it safely? Hes happy with his shooting the farmer is massively happy with the 50+ bunnys hes killed cleanly in the first month of shooting it with rimfire. Ive yet to see him have to dispatch one after by hand. and seen only one miss.

everyone has missed the point on my 30m comment, I have yet to see him balls up a shot at any range except for one miss, I have seen a few people from this board who consistently shoot out of cars at close ranges have to get out and stretch a few necks 

my point was you can mess it up at any range, i dont condone it but it happens to us all: anyone saying it dont is a liar!!

He does sound like an extraordinary shot. If i was him, I would 100% be shooting competitively.

5 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Just had to, spent the last half hour reading it...:)

For the members who'll be wonder what the 704 thread is about.

704yd hare v-maxed

thanks Joe, only read the first page.

can't comment because I've no experience of shooting at these ranges, not even from my arm chair ? but it is annoying having a mate who can naturally just shoot great.

watching life below zero this week and the lass took three shots at a sheep, free standing shooting up hill, looked a good distance and she didn't get within two feet I would say, if she had of hit it which could have been anywhere I imagine it would have either limped away or rolled down the scree and rocks and nothing would have been left of it.

I just hope none of you that has slated him for not caring about his quarry at distance. shoot at  pheasants because i have seen guns shoot at pheasants that's way to high  and shout leg down and never to be seen again how many shout runner now he meant to kill his bird but he didnt so do  he not shoot at the next one oh yeah he shoots all day long still pricking birds shouting i seen feather come off that one. weather it was luck or fluke i don't know but  he got  it why have some people on here got to turn it into an argument jesus 

Edited by Rim Fire
spelling

Rim fire I fully agree. I too have seen my fair share of pricked pheasants and other birds I've dealt with over the years. But am I also guilty? Honestly... yes I think I would be tbh. Ive hit my fair share of pigeons from bad decisions, and not seen them drop within my eyesight. Not in years but i have done it and i bet most on here have too but cant afford to say it. Its a open forum for the world to see and for a chance for all our sport to survive with the pressure this ****ed up country is under, posting up bragging rites of a shooter taking risky shots is downright due a bit of flak.167yards? ok maybe. fluke more likely. but *** for the sake of everyone who enjoys all aspect of this sport (and hopefully will in the future) keep the bragging stories to the pub or yourself as it does more harm than good.

On 25/01/2018 at 09:21, scotslad said:

Cheers stu.

Sorry for my ignorance off long range shooting.

But is there a limit?

as at some point the rifle barrel will point up throu the scopes line of sight or does it not get quite as extreme as that

That's why you get 24 inch super high scope rings, you can then mount the barrel near vertically and zero the scope according to the wind. 

The seriously long range chaps make some extraordinary kit to deal with exactly the problem you raise. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Rim fire I fully agree. I too have seen my fair share of pricked pheasants and other birds I've dealt with over the years. But am I also guilty? Honestly... yes I think I would be tbh. Ive hit my fair share of pigeons from bad decisions, and not seen them drop within my eyesight. Not in years but i have done it and i bet most on here have too but cant afford to say it. Its a open forum for the world to see and for a chance for all our sport to survive with the pressure this ****** up country is under, posting up bragging rites of a shooter taking risky shots is downright due a bit of flak.167yards? ok maybe. fluke more likely. but *** for the sake of everyone who enjoys all aspect of this sport (and hopefully will in the future) keep the bragging stories to the pub or yourself as it does more harm than good.

As i have said before you don't need  the anties to do the job you doing it for them they are probably coming up with more ammunition to fire at us from this forum than any other i know of we  will shoot ourselves in the foot  almost everything on here ends up in an argument only the other week i put up what someone had typed and got himself into trouble and i got slated this is why myself and others don't put up posts anymore there was some really good guys on here and they just look now like myself i was even asked  do i have a license by one member but if he had looked at some of my posts from the past he would have seen where i used to put up posts of Boar Deer and did a lot of foxing by the way i still do but wont put up on here even the moderators stick up for the selected few

53 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

As i have said before you don't need  the anties to do the job you doing it for them they are probably coming up with more ammunition to fire at us from this forum than any other i know of we  will shoot ourselves in the foot  almost everything on here ends up in an argument only the other week i put up what someone had typed and got himself into trouble and i got slated this is why myself and others don't put up posts anymore there was some really good guys on here and they just look now like myself i was even asked  do i have a license by one member but if he had looked at some of my posts from the past he would have seen where i used to put up posts of Boar Deer and did a lot of foxing by the way i still do but wont put up on here even the moderators stick up for the selected few

Who are the selected few and specifically when have we "stuck up" for them?  Pm one of us if you want but don't just make vague accusations please.

Oh I do like reading these sort of posts, because it is possible to shoot rabbits at 200yds with a scoped  match rifle such as an old BSA or Anschutz that has been set-up to shoot over that known distance. We had a warren in a bank that we knew was 185yds from our shooting hide, and with match ammo, that had been previously sighted in on a target on that bank, we could reliably drop rabbits with some consistency on a nice calm day.

The one I really liked though was the lad on guntrader, who dropped a fox at 700yds with his .22Hornet..........................that he had sighted in at 150yds:whistling:

15 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

As i have said before you don't need  the anties to do the job you doing it for them they are probably coming up with more ammunition to fire at us from this forum than any other i know of we  will shoot ourselves in the foot  almost everything on here ends up in an argument 

This seems to be a recurring theme in your posts. I think it's healthy for people to question what they may think to be unethical. It would give the antis as you call them far more to go on if group back slaps were handed out for every questionable shot as it would imply we all do the same. 

3 hours ago, walshie said:

This seems to be a recurring theme in your posts. I think it's healthy for people to question what they may think to be unethical. It would give the antis as you call them far more to go on if group back slaps were handed out for every questionable shot as it would imply we all do the same. 

Well said Sir :yes: :good: