Worst Gigs..

PPP

Worst or rather most disappointing was "blue oyster cult" best was possibly "hawkwind" or "tangerine dream" or "Fairport convention" oh hang on no, best was "AC/DC" at donnington rock festival 1984 ? i think

Edited by ips

A bit before most members time, but we went to see Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon - he had about four big hits and had a great voice. We saw him at Blighty's Farnworth - early 1970s. Compere announces "Johnny Johnson Crown Prince of Soul". Johnny leapt onto the stage and fell over. He got up - fell down again. Compere goes to help him up and both fell down. When he eventually got to the front of the stage, he was drowned out by a garbage drummer. Sound man made many adjustments - people at the front were leaving in droves. It continued - couldn't tell what song he was singing. We left. I spoke to one of his roadies years later, who said he was permanently legless.

I saw Geno Washington in 1968, when he was the biggest live act in the country - brilliant. Had to wait about 40 year before I saw him again in Kendal - Brewery Arts Centre. He complained that there were no black people in the crowd and that he was going to move in next door and devalue the house prices. He was on auto-pilot and just went through the motions. We left after 15 awful minutes - image shattered.

Edited by Gordon R

Dock rock in the eighties, a multiple band rock concert over a couple of days. Pure cack.

Been to a few where all you can hear is the drummer or guitars and some screaming, 

if the drummer is front and center I’m out. 

The best gig, no that’s for another thread :lol:

Peter Gabriel I got me and the Mrs 2 tickets to see him and he was just atrocious anyone that knows me must know if I left half way through after I had paid for the tickets it must have been bad the only reason I didn’t leave after 15 mins is because I kept thinking it must get better   It didn’t 

Blind Melon, they were just stoned and couldn't get it together, I went to see Brian May too and he was great (after Freddie died but pre badger days) but he had some odd switch to live uplink to a South African group in the middle of his set that was just odd and it just didn't fit.

This is a twist to the thread.

Early 80s i saw Alice cooper at manchester Apollo, he was ok but it was too theatrical for me. Anyway the support act was "alien sex fiend" i thought they were brilliant but everyone else thought they were cack and they got hassled for the duration.

I fell asleep at a Paul Weller gig at the Colton Hall once, I did have glandular fever at the time and wasn't a big fan (girlfriend at the time persuaded me). 

Just now, ips said:

This is a twist to the thread.

Early 80s i saw Alice cooper at manchester Apollo, he was ok but it was too theatrical for me. Anyway the support act was "alien sex fiend" i thought they were brilliant but everyone else thought they were cack and they got hassled for the duration.

I used to know someone who was a roadie for Alien Sex Fiend (in the 80s). 

19 hours ago, ips said:

Worst or rather most disappointing was "blue oyster cult" best was possibly "hawkwind" or "tangerine dream" or "Fairport convention" oh hang on no, best was "AC/DC" at donnington rock festival 1984 ? i think

hawkwind brilliant seen them six times best by far pink floyd 8  August 1988 main road will never forget that night :good:

1 hour ago, Thunderbird said:

I fell asleep at a Paul Weller gig at the Colton Hall once, I did have glandular fever at the time and wasn't a big fan (girlfriend at the time persuaded me). 

I used to know someone who was a roadie for Alien Sex Fiend (in the 80s). 

Wow, 

Very odd stage act as lead singer seemed to be supping vodka and eating what looked like mints ? music seemed to get gradually more weird...i got it.... Don't think many others did.

I wonder what happened to them they certainly never went main stream

1 hour ago, davewh100 said:

hawkwind brilliant seen them six times best by far pink floyd 8  August 1988 main road will never forget that night :good:

Was at preston guild hall,  Hawkwind were probably the loudest band i ever heard. ?

Saw the Pogues in 2005, An unheard of (for me) Dropkick Murphys opened for them, apart from being Irish that’s where the similarities ended, totally different music wise. They started up and everybody just sort of looked at each other and headed for the bar. They seem to have quite a following now but were terrible then. The Pogues however were brilliant, except Shane, he was by far the drunkest man for miles around, he did get better as the night wore on though, maybe he was sobering up!. 

Saw Billy Bragg at around the same time, had some local poet type on before him, guy stood there and droned some ramblings protesting about a new flyover they had just built in Blackwood, again everybody went back to the bar.

Been to loads of fantastic gigs though. Saw Tom Petty in Hyde Park last year and going to see Roger Waters this year, might even sneak The Cure in too and maybe Clapton, missus may not be too impressed with the “romantic” weekend in London though lol.