Signed off work with depression

Bigbroon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did what you thought was right, and that is a very important thing , as with depression you can become negative  ,sort of should i or should i not . Get better , the gun will be there waiting for you . One day at a time .get out  in the fresh air as much as you can , find someone to talk to ,someone you can confide in .

Andrewluke if you are looking for an argument you have came to the wrong post. I was given advice and acted on it end of story if you have nothing constructive to say stop posting 

You posted on a public forum. andrewluke has said absolutely nothing wrong. He isn't looking for an argument, he is just trying to understand what has transpired.

I will admit to being at a total loss to explain why the Police have withdrawn your licence, but hope to return it within a month. If we have got the full script, it seems to defy logic. Hence, andrewluke's questions. I share his misgivings.

I sincerely hope you recover from the depression and you get your licence back inside a month. However, I doubt that this will happen. I hope I am wrong.

30 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

You posted on a public forum. andrewluke has said absolutely nothing wrong. He isn't looking for an argument, he is just trying to understand what has transpired.

I will admit to being at a total loss to explain why the Police have withdrawn your licence, but hope to return it within a month. If we have got the full script, it seems to defy logic. Hence, andrewluke's questions. I share his misgivings.

I sincerely hope you recover from the depression and you get your licence back inside a month. However, I doubt that this will happen. I hope I am wrong.

thanks Gordon,i'm glad you can see where i'm coming from?

i'll send you pm

2 hours ago, Bigbroon said:

I consulted basc asking for advice and followed their advice. the timescale of 1 month was stated by the police not myself... it could be well off or it might not be... hopeully the latter. as previously stated I'm in no way a danger to myself or anyone else but after speaking to basc it's a standard protocol by the police. If I never handed them in come renewal time it will flag up I have/had depression and not notified them deeming me untrustworthy 

A month is optimistic in my view as I've already mentioned, I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic, I'll be happy for you if the powers that be have made a positive decision on your suitability to have your guns back after a month.

Regardless of what the police may have suggested I would not get your hopes up!

Get back to us in a month and let us know! :good:

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Bigbroon said:

Well guys today has been a good day  I got my licence and guns back although it took 2 months rather than one but I've got them back all the same 

Fair play mate, hope you feel better.

Did you have to get signed off by your doctor or something? 

On 18/06/2018 at 19:47, andrewluke said:

who told you that?

Some forces seem to be asking for medical info from GP at renewal, if this is the case, and the depression disclosed they may look more closely at the regrant.

I agree with the post above about the positive effects of a wander round the fields with dog and gun, or time spent at the range. Firearms dept are not concerned with that, they guess what risk you are to yourself or the public if they allow you a firearm. It’s all red tape and *** covering. 

I would expect come regrant and lengthy interview and open and honest talk and there wouldn’t be an issue. If there is an issue down the line I am aware BASC have fought for and won cases similar. 

Wishing the OP a speedy recovery.

13 minutes ago, Rossco89 said:

Some forces seem to be asking for medical info from GP at renewal, if this is the case, and the depression disclosed they may look more closely at the regrant.

I agree with the post above about the positive effects of a wander round the fields with dog and gun, or time spent at the range. Firearms dept are not concerned with that, they guess what risk you are to yourself or the public if they allow you a firearm. It’s all red tape and *** covering. 

I would expect come regrant and lengthy interview and open and honest talk and there wouldn’t be an issue. If there is an issue down the line I am aware BASC have fought for and won cases similar. 

Wishing the OP a speedy recovery.

a member of my wildfowling club wanted to get his certificate back after suffering with depression,he took it to court and a member of the BASC team was supposed to meet him at the courts but did not turn up!,he did get his certificate,dont rely on help from BASC

On 16/06/2018 at 20:05, motty said:

It would depress me being without my guns. I am not entirely sure that Basc gave the right advice. Why did your guns need to go?

this is how it was explained to me...................

your medical files are "red stared" that you are a liecence holder..............if you are prescribed a medication which is on the watch list....your doctor by law must inform the pl#olice ASAP....so by doing what he did before the police came knocking...i rekon was the right thing...........

You did the right thing, there is a thing called the road of inevetablity, what that means is one event leads on to another unavoidably. Once you get depression things have to happen and this is a good example.

You want to hear the b0llocking I got from my FEO for not telling him I was getting divorced. I haven't been spoken to like that since I was at school.

Even though I had put my guns in store and informed them I was moving. He tried to make things as difficult as possible for a while.  But he was just being difficult for the sake of it. I wasn't depressed I was the happiest I had been for years. 

I believe a great deal hinges on your FEO, 

I also believe that the greatest risk for a person with depression is to themselves, so no guns is actually safeguarding you.

Edited by Vince Green

I hope your recovery is swift. Having been there, it's not a very nice place to be.

However, i think BASC may be just covering themselves, as you have notified them, and there would be a record of that. I was signed off with depression quite a few years ago now. The Police were aware as i was a Police Officer at the time. "My" Force seized my guns, and the following month revoked my sgc/fac and after they had my guns for 6 months i sold them. It took me 5 to 6 years to get my licenses back. Which conveniently (for them) fitted in with my retirement due to injury. They were unhelpful and difficult all the way. Even after my doctor declared me fit and well, as in no more pills, or visits to a councilor. It still took multiple applications to finally get my fac/sgc back. The best thing West Mercia Police did was form a so called "Alliance" with Warwickshire. Although i've had a long wait at times, since the merger i have been treated a lot more respectfully.

Having said that your health, is way more important than any license! Having been there in a bad way, don't just rely on tablets, get some counciling at the same time. 

Good luck to you! ?

I

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:42, Bigbroon said:

I consulted basc asking for advice and followed their advice. the timescale of 1 month was stated by the police not myself... it could be well off or it might not be... hopeully the latter. as previously stated I'm in no way a danger to myself or anyone else but after speaking to basc it's a standard protocol by the police. If I never handed them in come renewal time it will flag up I have/had depression and not notified them deeming me untrustworthy 

I'm glad that you got yourself sorted out.

However, I still don't see why you had to hand your guns in. If it is/was standard procedure, then I would surely have had to hand my guns in when I started on medication a few years back. I didn't.

Thanks for all the well wishes. The police contacted my doctor for an assessment on me. according to the feo it didn't make for good reading but because I had been open from the start they were satisfied that if I had another episode of depression I would do the same thing and he was happy to give my licence back.

1 hour ago, motty said:

I

I'm glad that you got yourself sorted out.

However, I still don't see why you had to hand your guns in. If it is/was standard procedure, then I would surely have had to hand my guns in when I started on medication a few years back. I didn't.

just out of interest motty ...when did you last renew your liecence/certificate..........just trying to work out the timeline on this "inform the doctor thing" which came in fairly recently .....

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just out of interest motty ...when did you last renew your liecence/certificate..........just trying to work out the timeline on this "inform the doctor thing" which came in fairly recently .....

Last renewal was last year.