Jump to content
AdamSouthEast

What cartridge will you be using for this pheasant season?

    Recommended Posts

    4 hours ago, stevo said:

    Game shooters hahahaha , every year same old **** . 

    98% of you couldn’t hit a barn door if you were stood in front of it ! 

    I love to hear the story’s about how you had a fantastic day ,  12 guns finished off with 86 for 798 shots . ... 

    😂👍👍👍👍🤔

    Just like the clay shooter I watch regularly who can’t hit the clays as 

    its the wrong colour

    got the wrong lenses 

    wind blew them off line

    ref didn’t see that chip

    its a Thursday 

    it’s ..............

    when they mean their rubbish shots. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

    Just like the clay shooter I watch regularly who can’t hit the clays as 

    its the wrong colour

    got the wrong lenses 

    wind blew them off line

    ref didn’t see that chip

    its a Thursday 

    it’s ..............

    when they mean their rubbish shots. 

    I couldn’t agree more. There are ONLY ever two out comes when you pull that trigger ...... hit or mis .

    nowt else matters . 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, stevo said:

    I couldn’t agree more. There are ONLY ever two out comes when you pull that trigger ...... hit or mis .

    nowt else matters . 

    Like the man said; "what is hit is history, what is missed is mystery".

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have seen some great game shooters in action and some poor ones.

    I would say the poor ones are the ones who dont do much practice and only turn out for occasional driven shoots.

    The very good ones are doing woodys throughout the year and when there's no pigeon about they're hammering the high tower or the one's lucky enough to a attend a phenomenal amount of shoots August onwards.

    I will be using 29g Express Pigeon Power and 30g Express Supreme Game this season, probably no better or worse than any other cartridge but I  did very well with them last year and I have extreme confidence in them.

    Edited by Robertt

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Express Pigeon Power 29g No 6 is one of my favourites. Total confidence in it.

    BTW there is a 'Perfect loads for the pigeons' review (page 14) in this weeks (11 July) Shooting Times. Tallk about inconclusive as to which load is the best !!    

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    30g 6s for everything, might move to 32g 5s late season but only because i think i should not because i need to 😉

    Funny how things get into your head 😛

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, ips said:

    30g 6s for everything, might move to 32g 5s late season but only because i think i should not because i need to 😉

    Funny how things get into your head 😛

    Don't quite get that one.

    Why not use 32g 5's from the outset ?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    George Young 28 g 6s .........no need for anything else ........ to most peeps a high pheasant is only 30 yards lol 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I am only an average shot at best and rarely shoot driven game but I believe the Gamebore super game that the op has bought will be plenty good enough. I have got lucky on the odd occasion in the past and killed some high stuff with those shells.

    Any pheasants I shoot nowadays are on small walked up farm type shoots and I find 1oz of no 7 does the job fine.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    30 gram 6 for pheasants. It a fad about larger and larger shot size a chap I know insisted on 34 gram 5 or 4 for roosting pigeons. I shot just as many with a fibre 28g 7.5. 

    I'm only shooting good average height birds. I've also shot the odd corker with 6 shot. It's done many shooters for many years. so has the pheasant suddenly been bred with armour plating. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Robertt said:

    Don't quite get that one.

    Why not use 32g 5's from the outset ?

    30 is comfier through the sxs....plus our syndicate birds are not that high, later in season i shoot a few paid days and beaters day so birds are higher for those shoots

    Edited by ips

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:15, stevo said:

    Game shooters hahahaha , every year same old **** . 

    98% of you couldn’t hit a barn door if you were stood in front of it ! 

    I love to hear the story’s about how you had a fantastic day ,  12 guns finished off with 86 for 798 shots . ... 

    😂👍👍👍👍🤔

    My favourite is the one about killing 80 yard pheasants stone dead. All the time .With 24grm of 7's and skeet chokes. Then you look up their cpsa sporting average, and if "d" class existed they'd be in it. :rolleyes::whistling::lol:

     

    30 or 32 grm 6,s

    Edited by jasper682

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    36 minutes ago, jasper682 said:

    My favourite is the one about killing 80 yard pheasants stone dead. All the time .With 24grm of 7's and skeet chokes. Then you look up their cpsa sporting average, and if "d" class existed they'd be in it. :rolleyes::whistling::lol:

     

    30 or 32 grm 6,s

    I've seen the reverse of this, a bloke who said he shot well on clays could never do well on the pheasants, really did beat himself up over it.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, jasper682 said:

    My favourite is the one about killing 80 yard pheasants stone dead. All the time .With 24grm of 7's and skeet chokes. Then you look up their cpsa sporting average, and if "d" class existed they'd be in it.

     

    30 or 32 grm 6,s

    I know what you're saying, but shooting clays is different to live stuff. I have seen many a good shot that struggles with clays.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, motty said:

    I know what you're saying, but shooting clays is different to live stuff. I have seen many a good shot that struggles with clays.

    Yep Agree seen this before. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, Robertt said:

    Thats some story Jasper.........is it true ?

    A little tongue in cheek.  But yes there are people out there that 

    1.Think  wounding an 80 yard pheasant is in someway good.

    2.Cant hit a barn door on 35 yard clays.

    3.Post it all over Facebook. Then you see there average on average clays. Is less than 60%. 

    Sorry guys . If you can shoot , you can shoot regardless of the quarry. 

    Jasper.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, jasper682 said:

    A little tongue in cheek.  But yes there are people out there that 

    1.Think  wounding an 80 yard pheasant is in someway good.

    2.Cant hit a barn door on 35 yard clays.

    3.Post it all over Facebook. Then you see there average on average clays. Is less than 60%. 

    Sorry guys . If you can shoot , you can shoot regardless of the quarry. 

    Jasper.

    Clays do not behave in any way similar to a bird. Clays are thrown at certain angles (also different sizes used) to deceive the shooter. This is what can catch the "occasional" clay shot out, who is otherwise a very good live bird shooter.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×