Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Yeah the irony. Or she's thinking "screw this, this is too hard to handle. Am away on the sick to watch TV in the house and let someone else deal with it"

Her mother's 83, living with her, and started coughing yesterday …. I think she's as worried as hell ...

34 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I am just being realistic all 6 that have passed away have all been elderly with pre existing illnesses, on the news last night it was dominated about this virus then the last two minutes they reported that the last makeshifts hospital in Wuhan was being closed Talk about BBC scaremongering 

While i understand you are being realistic, there are more stubble ways of putting your point across and not getting quite a few peoples backs up, remember we all hopefully grow old, a bit of respect to age goes a long way.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

China has had 81,000 cases in a population of 1,400,000,000.  How does that make 40%?

Most of these have been in Wuhan which has a population of about 11,000,000.  So if ALL cases in China were in Wuhan (and most are) - that is still under 1% in Wuhan.

You are quite correct - I missed that the population table was in 10's '000s. 🤐

However the 60% upper range is still realistic based on the data in the Lancet, at least for the time being. China had quite a drastic reaction to quarantine which doesn't seem to be replicated elsewhere (yet). 

Even at 1% the deaths and hospitalisations are quite drastic but probably manageable. 

I missed out on the rush for toilet rolls but now wondering if I should start stockpiling oxygen canisters...

I understand that this is a sensitive topic for the older folk but this age related respect thing works both ways in my book. There are a lot of elders constantly being disrespectful / ignorant to the values and challenges of youth which are far more toxic than the majority of the slights directed at the older people coming the other way.

It was my grandfather who taught me to respect elders and my father who pointed out that this should be the default position until an elder demonstrated that are not worthy of that respect.

This is from someone who themselves passed over from the younger to the older generation in the past month.

10 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I missed out on the rush for toilet rolls but now wondering if I should start stockpiling oxygen canisters...

I understand that this is a sensitive topic for the older folk but this age related respect thing works both ways in my book. There are a lot of elders constantly being disrespectful / ignorant to the values and challenges of youth which are far more toxic than the majority of the slights directed at the older people coming the other way.

It was my grandfather who taught me to respect elders and my father who pointed out that this should be the default position until an elder demonstrated that are not worthy of that respect.

This is from someone who themselves passed over from the younger to the older generation in the past month.

If we are talking about this forum and this topic I think the mods treat everyone the same regardless of age.

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

If we are talking about this forum and this topic I think the mods treat everyone the same regardless of age.

This forum and life in general, nothing to do with the way mods treat everyone 👍

18 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Wait - are congratulations in order here?!?!

Lol, not really, just another birthday. I'm now 32 (hexadecimal) 🙂 

53 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

So, what's your point?

35 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

This forum and life in general, nothing to do with the way mods treat everyone 👍

Lol, not really, just another birthday. I'm now 32 (hexadecimal) 🙂 

I cannot say I have noticed “old people” constantly being disrespectful / ignorant / toxic towards younger posters on this forum but I will stand corrected if you can point me in the direction of such posts.

19 minutes ago, old'un said:

I cannot say I have noticed “old people” constantly being disrespectful / ignorant / toxic towards younger posters on this forum but I will stand corrected if you can point me in the direction of such posts.

You derided my camo painting, and im pretty sure your a month older than me....... Im offended both for me and all the others you have hurt..🙃

19 minutes ago, islandgun said:

You derided my camo painting, and im pretty sure your a month older than me....... Im offended both for me and all the others you have hurt..🙃

Fair play governor you have me bang to rights, what do I need to-do for my penance, don’t be to hard on an Old’un. :P

31 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Looking on the positives, the price of diesel has fallen recently with all that's going on. Every cloud and all that

That's probably more to do with the Saudis declaring an oil price war on Russia than anything else.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'm now 32

I also had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. Exactly twice your age though!

17 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

That's probably more to do with the Saudis declaring an oil price war on Russia than anything else.

True but China's use of fuel fell considerably due to their shutdown so that had a knock on effect with supply and demand. 

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Her mother's 83, living with her, and started coughing yesterday …. I think she's as worried as hell ...

Yes she will be worried but am sure she will be better placed than most to have the care needed to help her mother.

11 hours ago, blackbird said:

For #### sake people want to get a grip, the only people that got to worry are the old farts, all six people that have died are late 70s + with pre existing health issues. Be realistic in my book they have had a good innings anyway.

Youl'l be an old **** yourself one day ( and I'm still having a good innings), you might not get that far👍

Edited by das

As I see it people that keep on about in being no worse that the flu haven't grasped the numbers, yes the flu kills a lot of people and hospitalises a lot more but the health services etc know this and plan for it but if just 5% of the UK get the virus in the next few months that would mean around 390,000 people could need hospital treatment! There are around 170,000 hospital beds in the UK, has your local hospital got plans in place to deal with over twice its normal number of people coming through the door?

Just heard of my mates in the health service and Police force. 

7+ Staff infection cases not yet advertised on the news in Neath / Port Talbot Hospitals. 

He said the Government have briefed him as a Dr and they said they are expecting epidemic to peak in 3-4 weeks. 

He also said that England will bring in special measures from next week, and Wales will follow. Initially banning big gatherings, sports events etc. 

Possible legislation / legal requirement to isolate yourself if you have a fever. 

Their GP surgery has cancelled all physical visits, all appointments over the phone, perceptions to be dispersed to multiple drop off locations so no one coming into surgeries. 

He also said that one of the backup measures used in Italy, due to the lack of oxygen and incubators, was that they didn’t even try and incubate the over 65’s and concentrated resources on trying to save the younger patients.  

You can stand there telling me how the normal flu or some other nonsense kills more people every year, but I think that is very naive. Seasonal flu has been around for years and isn’t spreading like this. 

It’ll be all the people being sick at once overwhelming the system that causes the deaths. 

I do hope however that it’s much more minor than we are all thinking. I pray that I am a conspiracy believer 😬