Panic buying

The Heron

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Try Aldi,  they had plenty of nappies where I was today.

That's a bonus 🤢 I'm a tea drinker but not Yorkshire,  had a brew in the Lakes last month from a tea shop, simply the best brew I've ever had.  Just said special tea, supposed to go well with the local water, it was heaven 

Got the last packet of nappies  in a size 3 and one in a size 4 the wee man might be moving up faster than he needs too lol

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I was buying coal today from the local hardware/has everything shop. We were joking around about panic buying and bog roll when he looked me in the eye and in a whisper asked “do you have enough bog roll?” It felt like he was offering me heroin. To be offered the secret bog roll stash I believe I have now made it to some sort of “local” status after a couple of years. I expect to be mayor in the coming weeks.

Where abouts are you? We have nappies of varying sizes stocked up for when ours is due in July (Not bought, given). If you’re really in a pinch let me know the size you need and I will have a gander.

Thanks a day spent trawling round Adli, lidil , asda, tesco. waitrose and the corner shop we got enough for us and enough nappies , wipes, milk  and teething powder for the wee man for two weeks so hopefully there will be supplies in by then ?

20 hours ago, ditchman said:

i went into our local co-op this morning.............i am ashamed and sad at what i saw.........none local people had come in and cleaned it out............there are 25 "bins" for fruit and vedge and usually 5 sacks of just lifted spuds.................every single item gone...........also 98% of tinned vedge gone..........

i picked up one bottle of cooking oil and left the other ....then a woman dashed in and snatched the other one.....i picked up the 2nd from last milk and left the other one and the same person lunged forward and took it .....she then looked at me as if i was stupid.........i felt very sorry for her....as she was in a heightened state of panic or disgustingly greedy

i despair of most of the human race................but it does my soul good to log onto pigeonwatch and read the little random acts of kindness........that PW members do on a regular basis...............

(thought i would just say this now before i get banned again...for something else)

Yep, but if you ain't too naughty you can always do an Arnie and come back? Tesco last night, no bread and just a few tins. I had the last corned beef.

On 18/03/2020 at 15:46, Jim Neal said:

I've got enough malted barley, hops and yeast to make over 200 pints of ale so I won't be panic buying anything important in the foreseeable!

We're down to our last 6 bog rolls.  The mrs gets through ONE per day on her own.  Yes ONE ENTIRE bog roll.  When I was single I could make one last for a few weeks, it used to be quite a novelty changing the roll.  Words have been said!

The cure for that is to squash the cardboard roll to stop it spinning?

I've just been into ASDA only for some milk.Wow 7am and nothing, why are they letting people buy everything? Manager's should be at the tills making people put stuff back.Do a weekly shop and no more,its pathetic they need to bring the army in to stop this.

hello, its getting out of hand, mums and dads who work and lots of NHS etc people cannot get to the shops in normal hours so when they do get to the supermarket/s the shelves are empty, a young lady on bbc news in tears, its like one of those hollywood movies, i read a food bank in Yorkshire had all the contents stolen,

8 minutes ago, Davyo said:

I've just been into ASDA only for some milk.Wow 7am and nothing, why are they letting people buy everything? Manager's should be at the tills making people put stuff back.Do a weekly shop and no more,its pathetic they need to bring the army in to stop this.

As an old Zomerzet mate says. They like it on your shelf more than theirs.

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

i see this on the  news Trussell Trust warehouse broken into all goods stolen,

What a shower?

The Asda here is open 7am-9am today for old and vulnerable only which is fair enough, found out at 6:55 when I got out the car after waiting since 6:30 and saw the sign - hadn't stopped a lot of people who didn't seem to fit the bill lining up in the queue - but that's their business - all I needed was some bog roll and milk for a disabled relative. Told the missus to take the Power of Attorney letter next time. By 7:01 the sainsbury "express" on the way home had been emptied of loo rolls and pretty much anything else useful with the queue out the door, it's beyond stupid... 

33 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Add a government legal limit on toilet roll quantity in possession with police having house searching rights of suspects and a £5000 fine to be paid at once.

At a time like this the police have better things to do.  Putting a limit on purchase quantity is more practical ....... as we are assured that there is no 'shortage of goods' - only a distribution problem due to people being greedy.

hello, i just cannot understand why there is a shortage of Toilet rolls, looking on google we have quite a few manufactures in uk and even more importers, a German firm  Wepa based in UK supplies most of the big supermarkets with an estimated 80 plus thousand tons per year, if every one only bought enough for there needs instead of stock piling there would be enough for all, 

I am fed up of hearing of a so-called distribution problem. There's nothing in the shops. And if it is being grabbed by dole-wallahs and/or social reprobates then bring half a dozen squaddies into each store, inside and out and enforce society's will. Forcibly. 

But such sensible logic doesn't work on a sizeable proportion of our population. We need to begin a harsh regime and make examples of these scabs.

The big issue is that people don’t think they are panic buying, if you go to one shop and cant get what you need, then try another and another with the same result, by the time you do find anything it is natural behaviour to want to buy more then your immediate needs in case you cannot get it next time.

I would wager that a lot of folk posting on this site about it have bought a bit more than they might actually need as well, for the reasons above.  People are still also buying on the basis of getting stuff to last a week or so.

A lot of the people emptying the shelves today are the people who didn’t buy yesterday or the day before, not necessarily hoarding and buying excess stock, but they are still buying to last a week.

I had to go to Sainsbuys in West Norwood last night with my wife, I selflessly waited outside with the dog. 

I saw our local crack head shoplifters come outside take a bottle of wine out of a bag, hand it to a mate and go and get another 3 times.

Panic shoplifting?

3 minutes ago, grrclark said:

The big issue is that people don’t think they are panic buying, if you go to one shop and cant get what you need, then try another and another with the same result, by the time you do find anything it is natural behaviour to want to buy more then your immediate needs in case you cannot get it next time.

I would wager that a lot of folk posting on this site about it have bought a bit more than they might actually need as well, for the reasons above.  People are still also buying on the basis of getting stuff to last a week or so.

A lot of the people emptying the shelves today are the people who didn’t buy yesterday or the day before, not necessarily hoarding and buying excess stock, but they are still buying to last a week.

Absolutely.

When I did manage to get some toilet roll earlier in the week people ahead of me were trying to shame people buying too much, when I got to the checkout I declared I was buying 8 toilet rolls for a household of up to 6 including 2 teenage lads. I can only dream of a comfortable week supply of toilet roll at the moment and some would have me lynched for trying to procure them.

We went out to a CO OP in  a small market town in Norfolk during the week and you could only buy two of the same items throughout the store , yes they did have some empty shelves but you could still get most of the items you wanted , a bit more civilised than the scenes you see in some of the bigger supermarkets . 

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Absolutely.

When I did manage to get some toilet roll earlier in the week people ahead of me were trying to shame people buying too much, when I got to the checkout I declared I was buying 8 toilet rolls for a household of up to 6 including 2 teenage lads. I can only dream of a comfortable week supply of toilet roll at the moment and some would have me lynched for trying to procure them.

Get your lads to use socks rather than toilet roll. We all know what they are using it for and it isn’t for no.2’s! 

Aldi have implemented a max of 4 items throughout the entire store, it seems to be working. My local had about 30% of the shelves stocked as opposed to 3 days earlier when it was completely empty. I was at the till behind a bloke who had 24 cans of tomatoes and the lady on the till advised him he could only have 4 and took the others away. She was then subjected to lots of swearing and ranting until myself and another bloke advised him to calm down. Speaking as a current serving military member, we need a military presence in supermarkets at the moment, the lady on the till should not have been subjected to the abuse. Most of us have rhino skins and have been abused/spat on and worse over the years so we couldn’t care less what some ranting imbecile says to us.

17 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Aldi have implemented a max of 4 items throughout the entire store, it seems to be working. My local had about 30% of the shelves stocked as opposed to 3 days earlier when it was completely empty. I was at the till behind a bloke who had 24 cans of tomatoes and the lady on the till advised him he could only have 4 and took the others away. She was then subjected to lots of swearing and ranting until myself and another bloke advised him to calm down. Speaking as a current serving military member, we need a military presence in supermarkets at the moment, the lady on the till should not have been subjected to the abuse. Most of us have rhino skins and have been abused/spat on and worse over the years so we couldn’t care less what some ranting imbecile says to us.

This!

15 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Well done , the staff are working hard enough as it is without getting verbal abuse .

48 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Well done , the staff are working hard enough as it is without getting verbal abuse .

Quite agree but all the person concerned had to do is walk outside and then return go to a different till I have seen it happen . There is only one way to solve the bulk buying it is not panic but greed is for the Government to issue a WW2  type of ration  coupon book  then everybody will get a fair share it worked then so it should work now .

Feltwad