Boris

mel b3

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is doing a sound job so far out of a really **** situation.

The media accusing him of 'u-turns' (e.g. over upping the test kit purchasing) are talking ********. He has surrounded himself with very competent people which is what a leader needs to do. Also it has been made clear from the start that this will evolve and strategies will change quickly. So people should lay off and let them do their jobs.

Edited by margun

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

look at this way.......................how would we be answering to this question...

"do you think Prime Minister corbyn and his Deputy Abbot....are managing the covid-19 chrises well.............."

WOW! Can you imagine how we would be right now.

22 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I love the "we should have closed the schools earlier" brigade. Who will be looking after the children? Parents, who can't go to work to earn money? Grandparents - the vulnerable group? 

Simplistic stuff, without thinking anything through.

^^^^^^ This. 

why is it we are hearing next to nothing about the improving situation in china ...and i think one of the EU countries the death rate has started to fall.................

if we had a bit of that then folk would be saying to themselves...".what the **** am i going to do with 4oo bog rolls and 1400 tins of beans..............i better stop over buying ...":w00t:

I am not sure that any government could really prepare for something like this, war gaming scenarios and using computer models is one thing, but the reality is something very different and constantly evolving.

There is unprecedented demand on global supply chains in a really narrow area that has impacted on all the major economic nations and we as a populace with our own individual responsibilities are woefully unprepared.

I think that BoJo and the wider team are doing OK, i'm impressed that the leaders of the devolved administrations are also not playing politics either.  Before this happened I would have wagered that Sturgeon would have been an agitator against the UK government, but by and large she has been absolutely on message, as have the advisory team surrounding her.  I rather think that is because she gets the reality of it all as well in that there is not a perfect answer, no matter what choice is made it is trying to find a balance between different types of bad outcomes.

The most noise has come from opposition figures who don't actually have to make a decision and stand by it.  It is easy to ask challenging questions and throw rocks, but right now the government has to ask those questions of themselves and come up with answers that can be implemented in jig time.  

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

I am not sure that any government could really prepare for something like this, war gaming scenarios and using computer models is one thing, but the reality is something very different and constantly evolving.

There is unprecedented demand on global supply chains in a really narrow area that has impacted on all the major economic nations and we as a populace with our own individual responsibilities are woefully unprepared.

I think that BoJo and the wider team are doing OK, i'm impressed that the leaders of the devolved administrations are also not playing politics either.  Before this happened I would have wagered that Sturgeon would have been an agitator against the UK government, but by and large she has been absolutely on message, as have the advisory team surrounding her.  I rather think that is because she gets the reality of it all as well in that there is not a perfect answer, no matter what choice is made it is trying to find a balance between different types of bad outcomes.

The most noise has come from opposition figures who don't actually have to make a decision and stand by it.  It is easy to ask challenging questions and throw rocks, but right now the government has to ask those questions of themselves and come up with answers that can be implemented in jig time.  

Totally agree with everything you say, with one caveat, the way the western world is run, with greed being rewarded and every penny being squeezed out of the system and the working masses, it has led to people with no money saved who are unable to self isolate, small businesses looking at closing, some permanently.

If we'd learnt the lessons from the last financial crash and sorted greedy banks and corporations, the country and the wider world would be alot better placed to deal with something like this.

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

Totally agree with everything you say, with one caveat, the way the western world is run, with greed being rewarded and every penny being squeezed out of the system and the working masses, it has led to people with no money saved who are unable to self isolate, small businesses looking at closing, some permanently.

If we'd learnt the lessons from the last financial crash and sorted greedy banks and corporations, the country and the wider world would be alot better placed to deal with something like this.

I'm not going to argue about the greed, or lets say cynical ways of making/retaining money, by banks and large corporates, but i'm not sure that i agree every last penny is squeezed from working folks.

We have extraordinary levels of consumerism/materialism and an often far too disposable outlook, that is a product of individuals, albeit we could have a good philosophical discussion of whether demand drives supply, or whether a culture of "want" is created artificially in order to drive demand.

11 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I'm not going to argue about the greed, or lets say cynical ways of making/retaining money, by banks and large corporates, but i'm not sure that i agree every last penny is squeezed from working folks.

We have extraordinary levels of consumerism/materialism and an often far too disposable outlook, that is a product of individuals, albeit we could have a good philosophical discussion of whether demand drives supply, or whether a culture of "want" is created artificially in order to drive demand.

Yes true, I guess the blame doesn't lie in one place.

Boris could cure cancer tomorrow and he'd be criticised for not doing it sooner. He's doing a decent job in hard times and doing it better than that Marxist could. By next year this will be another case of seasonal flu. What makes it unique now Is that no one has had it before.  2 of my close friends (couple) have had it and they are doing fine. Neither reported anything other than flu like symptoms for about a week. I have no reason to doubt either account.  

Edited by GingerCat

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

look at this way.......................how would we be answering to this question...

"do you think Prime Minister corbyn and his Deputy Abbot....are managing the covid-19 chrises well.............."

That doesn't bear thinking about 😢.

7 hours ago, grrclark said:

Graham, please stop being quite so level headed and sensible, it really does not fit in with some peoples agendas on PW!

9 hours ago, grrclark said:

This.  What drives the cynical profit-driven greed of corporations is the general trend amongst the western populace of wanting more and more without thinking through the consequences. Values have changed and not for the better in my view. The banks didn't wreck the economy last time, we did.

33 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Hind site is a wonderful thing but I think that Jeremy Corbins answer would be first tax the rich secondary nationalise it thirdly make Diane Abbot chancellor 

Dianne Abbott is of no use whatsoever  other than acting like the canary did down the mines. Stand her outside parliament and when she starts to show symptoms, time to move out.

10 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Boris could cure cancer tomorrow and he'd be criticised for not doing it sooner. He's doing a decent job in hard times and doing it better than that Marxist could. By next year this will be another case of seasonal flu. What makes it unique now Is that no one has had it before.  2 of my close friends (couple) have had it and they are doing fine. Neither reported anything other than flu like symptoms for about a week. I have no reason to doubt either account.  

I don’t think Boris is doing anything, he’s leaving it to the experts to make the decisions, which is as it should be. When the plans are affected by politics is when things go wrong and decisions are made just to please the public.

I am by no means a Boris fan..but, I think so far he has handled this in the best way he possibly could.

it seems the 2 possible paths are, herd immunity, risky as you are basically sayImg let’s rip the plaster off and those that die, die. Though I can see the argument for let’s let the majority get infected and therefore kill off the virus.

the other option is lockdown. Again it has its pros and cons, pros slow down infection rate, and ease pressure on the NHS,  and if the lockdown is long enough, those infected would have isolated long enough to have become immune and virus free. The cons are, once the lockdown is lifted the spreading starts again and we are back to square one ( length of lockdown is important)

increased testing may hold the key to which scenario is chosen.

this is just my view on things, I’m a 55yr old Londoner with an underlying health condition that is absolutely crapping my pants that this thing will kill me!!

on a side note, I’m making my own hand sanitiser, ingredients are, acetone, aloe Vera gel, and tea tree oil (to make it smell nice) google for quantities.

make no mistake people this is not a London thing, this WILL find your communities.

stay safe and look after the most vulnerable amongst you.

It’s of my opinion over the years of viewing this forum that is quite patriotic.

There have been many threads when Remembrance Day comes around or any major war ‘Anniversary’ really poignant ones, and some very moving.

I always get quite emotional when I see fewer and fewer Veterans, of WWII each year as have watched this Parade from my younger days with my late Gran on telly.

I have read many books on the bravery and sacrifice that is awe inspiring and almost reads like fiction as so un-believable.

These increasingly frail veterans have so many medals of bravery that it is almost a burden to carry.

I remember a while ago a post about basically “should we just move on about the war and forget it” well needless to say PW majority annihilated OP, I remember it stirred up some passion in response.

And I totally agree, we would not be in our very cushy lives if not for these people so agree with the PW collective for sure.

Yet you all seem clearly to be majority Tory, and therefore have a bone on for Boris and anything he does and defend his actions.

Dr. John Campbell seems like a pretty switched on guy and knows what he is talking about regarding Corvid 19, I know some will be familiar of him already.

So every county that has locked down immediately has prevented the spread of virus by containment – fact?

But not Boris, he knows better, he decides to keep everything open, My Postman, says it basically business as ususal at RM, but like permeant Christmas lots of mail lots of parcels.

24 hour 3 days contamination on paper/plastic surface – fact?

RM then, pretty good distribution for virus – fact?

People self-isolating catch it from introducing contaminates into safe space-Fact? – Like mail than.

Or am I being conspiracy loon?

But he admits to “herd mentality” so wants this distribution to happen wants it to peak and overwhelm the NHS with a potentially and likely massive mortality rate.

So knows he is liable to now kill of a huge population of older and vulnerable people, but hey so what?

There are only old and not productive anymore, weak members of our society a burden on resources, so survival of the fittest –What! -What!

Now if you wanted a Eugenics program that killed of the least productive members of society, which has been going on since Victorian times up until 1970’s with the rapid onset of Anti-War and CND, equal rights explosion into people conscious meant IMO these theories have now, much like DNA science has been largely hidden due to ethics.

You got to admit, this virus then is pretty handy for any Capitalist county?

No-one’s fault but Virus mate really sorry about grandma dying- more like really damn handy thanks covid-19 :)

Problem is all the war veterans that you apparently love so much and are so patriot over will likely die with you mans ‘Gamble’.

But the man you all voted for and love so much has thrown these veterans to the Lions without a care in the world.

I think that is massively hypocritical, these people are not insignificant, but in fact way more worthy than most to try and protect as they  have earned it, most of us haven’t- fact?  

My question is if you are all so patriotic, why do you think Boris so great?

11 minutes ago, jonny705 said:

From Royal Mail themselves;

"Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Can customers catch coronavirus from the mail?
Public Health England has advised that there is no perceived increase in risk of contracting the new coronavirus for handling post or freight from specified areas. From experience with other coronaviruses, we know these types of viruses don’t survive long on objects, such as letters or parcels."

I cannot comment on whether this is correct, but that is directly from a email from Royal Mail to their customers.

17 minutes ago, jonny705 said:

But he admits to “herd mentality” so wants this distribution to happen wants it to peak and overwhelm the NHS with a potentially and likely massive mortality rate.

Actually it is "herd immunity" and the whole idea was to reduce the peak by delaying as much as possible and therefore NOT overwhelming the NHS.  The LAST thing he or anyone else wants is "overwhelming the NHS and high mortality"

23 minutes ago, jonny705 said:

It’s of my opinion over the years of viewing this forum that is quite patriotic.

There have been many threads when Remembrance Day comes around or any major war ‘Anniversary’ really poignant ones, and some very moving.

I always get quite emotional when I see fewer and fewer Veterans, of WWII each year as have watched this Parade from my younger days with my late Gran on telly.

I have read many books on the bravery and sacrifice that is awe inspiring and almost reads like fiction as so un-believable.

These increasingly frail veterans have so many medals of bravery that it is almost a burden to carry.

I remember a while ago a post about basically “should we just move on about the war and forget it” well needless to say PW majority annihilated OP, I remember it stirred up some passion in response.

And I totally agree, we would not be in our very cushy lives if not for these people so agree with the PW collective for sure.

Yet you all seem clearly to be majority Tory, and therefore have a bone on for Boris and anything he does and defend his actions.

Dr. John Campbell seems like a pretty switched on guy and knows what he is talking about regarding Corvid 19, I know some will be familiar of him already.

So every county that has locked down immediately has prevented the spread of virus by containment – fact?

But not Boris, he knows better, he decides to keep everything open, My Postman, says it basically business as ususal at RM, but like permeant Christmas lots of mail lots of parcels.

People self-isolating catch it from introducing contaminates into safe space-Fact? – Like mail than.

Or am I being conspiracy loon?

So knows he is liable to now kill of a huge population of older and vulnerable people, but hey so what?

There are only old and not productive anymore, weak members of our society a burden on resources, so survival of the fittest –What! -What!

Now if you wanted a Eugenics program that killed of the least productive members of society, which has been going on since Victorian times up until 1970’s with the rapid onset of Anti-War and CND, equal rights explosion into people conscious meant IMO these theories have now, much like DNA science has been largely hidden due to ethics.

You got to admit, this virus then is pretty handy for any Capitalist county?

No-one’s fault but Virus mate really sorry about grandma dying- more like really damn handy thanks covid-19 :)

Problem is all the war veterans that you apparently love so much and are so patriot over will likely die with you mans ‘Gamble’.

But the man you all voted for and love so much has thrown these veterans to the Lions without a care in the world.

I think that is massively hypocritical, these people are not insignificant, but in fact way more worthy than most to try and protect as they  have earned it, most of us haven’t- fact?  

My question is if you are all so patriotic, why do you think Boris so great?

Yes to the bit in bold.

Your post is littered with half truths, assumptions, supposition in order to get to a pre-defined conclusion.