Lockdown

DazAllison

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is that the authorities are trying to bring in to line the people who are still carrying on as if nothing's happening, by using these scare tactics suggesting our liberties may be restricted for months to come.

This is where a "one size fits all" policy breaks down because it's very much a game of two halves.  You've got the big centres of population where people are quite frankly taking the mickey by going out for their "exercise" resulting in masses of people descending on parks and public spaces.  Then you've got the rural areas of the country where everyone's so spread out you'd be unlucky if you crossed paths with another dog walker under normal circumstances.

In Northamptonshire where I live there's 120-ish recorded cases of Covid-19 as it stands today, and a handful of deaths - out of a population of circa 750,000.  Compare that to London, then tell me I should be sat in my home 24/7 quaking with fear.  Tell me I should expect the army at the end of my street pointing guns at me if I try to drive away.  F off.

A couple of weeks ago on Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show, one of his resident consultants Peter Bleksley, an ex-Met Police officer, stated his worst fear if we entered lockdown was domestic violence.  The resident doctor also aired concerns over mental health issues.  I can absolutely concur that after only 7 days of this restriction on our civil liberties I have personally felt the same concerns!

My other half is a bit precious at the best of times.  It doesn't take much to set her off.  She expects everything yet delivers very little herself which frequently results in a frank airing of my opinions as to why the boat is going round in circles.

We've got 3 dogs, 2 of which are springers and one of which is an absolute fruit loop if his mind and body aren't exercised enough and he barks constantly when he's not happy.  They spend all their time bar walks cooped up in the kitchen except the odd treat of being allowed into the living room on the occasional evening, after the kid's toys have been put out of reach of the ****head spaniel who will chew and destroy them.  Warmer months are a bit better with the back door open, apart from if next door's ASBO yorkshire terrier is out, barking up and down the fence at us in which case we all have to just go back inside and shut the door.

We've got a 3½ yr old son who is "a bit of a handful".  We have decided we don't want to put him or us through the extra stress and worry of intervention from the authorities so there is no official diagnosis, but he is definitely displaying all the signs of what nowadays they'd label as ADHD or such like.  Just the simple task of getting him dressed in the morning or sitting down for dinner can be impossible.  Forget about washing hands or dare we even attempt to apply drops to his eye that has constant conjunctivitis - nuclear apocalypse scenario!

If you've done anything in slightly the wrong order like make his breakfast without him "helping" you can expect an emotional meltdown, resulting - literally - in you having to "reset" the situation back to where it was so he can make it all happen according to what he wants. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't like if you've already fed the dogs and he runs in wanting to have helped but it's too late.  You simply can't get past some of his meltdowns until you've done it all his way, I nearly fed the dogs twice one time just to appease him!! They were egging him on I think...

Anything outside his routine or comfort zone results in an outburst of panic, fear, violence and non-compliance.  Even things within his normal routine can result in temper tantrums and deadlock if just the slightest thing is out of place.  He spits at you, scratches you, kicks you, everything you can think of.  Trying the calm approach, walking away then coming back in a quiet manner etc just has no effect.  I've knocked him on his backside (in a controlled manner) a few times to try and snap him out of it.  This maybe works in the short term but it doesn't change the longer-term mental weariness that results from managing this sort of a child.  There is no escape except the possible hope that with time he will grow out of it.

My government wants me to be locked up with these two emotional defects for the next 6....9....12 months?  I'm not the only one in this situation.  You bet there's going to be some domestic violence and mental health issues!!

Common sense needs to be applied, that's all.  I will continue doing what I've done today.  Leave the dragon at home murdering dinner, chuck the dogs, son and his bike in the car and trundle ½ a mile out of the village to some empty meadows on my shoot where the kid and dogs can go and blast off a bit of energy.  All's good, I can put up with barely edible food in the evening in exchange for a quiet dog and a kid that I can put to bed without World War 3 taking place.

It's the f%&#tards who can't grasp the concept of stopping transmission of a virus that need to be dealt with.  Lock down the cities, leave us alone.

12 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

My personal opinion is that the authorities are trying to bring in to line the people who are still carrying on as if nothing's happening, by using these scare tactics suggesting our liberties may be restricted for months to come.

This is where a "one size fits all" policy breaks down because it's very much a game of two halves.  You've got the big centres of population where people are quite frankly taking the mickey by going out for their "exercise" resulting in masses of people descending on parks and public spaces.  Then you've got the rural areas of the country where everyone's so spread out you'd be unlucky if you crossed paths with another dog walker under normal circumstances.

In Northamptonshire where I live there's 120-ish recorded cases of Covid-19 as it stands today, and a handful of deaths - out of a population of circa 750,000.  Compare that to London, then tell me I should be sat in my home 24/7 quaking with fear.  Tell me I should expect the army at the end of my street pointing guns at me if I try to drive away.  F off.

A couple of weeks ago on Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show, one of his resident consultants Peter Bleksley, an ex-Met Police officer, stated his worst fear if we entered lockdown was domestic violence.  The resident doctor also aired concerns over mental health issues.  I can absolutely concur that after only 7 days of this restriction on our civil liberties I have personally felt the same concerns!

My other half is a bit precious at the best of times.  It doesn't take much to set her off.  She expects everything yet delivers very little herself which frequently results in a frank airing of my opinions as to why the boat is going round in circles.

We've got 3 dogs, 2 of which are springers and one of which is an absolute fruit loop if his mind and body aren't exercised enough and he barks constantly when he's not happy.  They spend all their time bar walks cooped up in the kitchen except the odd treat of being allowed into the living room on the occasional evening, after the kid's toys have been put out of reach of the ****head spaniel who will chew and destroy them.  Warmer months are a bit better with the back door open, apart from if next door's ASBO yorkshire terrier is out, barking up and down the fence at us in which case we all have to just go back inside and shut the door.

We've got a 3½ yr old son who is "a bit of a handful".  We have decided we don't want to put him or us through the extra stress and worry of intervention from the authorities so there is no official diagnosis, but he is definitely displaying all the signs of what nowadays they'd label as ADHD or such like.  Just the simple task of getting him dressed in the morning or sitting down for dinner can be impossible.  Forget about washing hands or dare we even attempt to apply drops to his eye that has constant conjunctivitis - nuclear apocalypse scenario!

If you've done anything in slightly the wrong order like make his breakfast without him "helping" you can expect an emotional meltdown, resulting - literally - in you having to "reset" the situation back to where it was so he can make it all happen according to what he wants. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't like if you've already fed the dogs and he runs in wanting to have helped but it's too late.  You simply can't get past some of his meltdowns until you've done it all his way, I nearly fed the dogs twice one time just to appease him!! They were egging him on I think...

Anything outside his routine or comfort zone results in an outburst of panic, fear, violence and non-compliance.  Even things within his normal routine can result in temper tantrums and deadlock if just the slightest thing is out of place.  He spits at you, scratches you, kicks you, everything you can think of.  Trying the calm approach, walking away then coming back in a quiet manner etc just has no effect.  I've knocked him on his backside (in a controlled manner) a few times to try and snap him out of it.  This maybe works in the short term but it doesn't change the longer-term mental weariness that results from managing this sort of a child.  There is no escape except the possible hope that with time he will grow out of it.

My government wants me to be locked up with these two emotional defects for the next 6....9....12 months?  I'm not the only one in this situation.  You bet there's going to be some domestic violence and mental health issues!!

Common sense needs to be applied, that's all.  I will continue doing what I've done today.  Leave the dragon at home murdering dinner, chuck the dogs, son and his bike in the car and trundle ½ a mile out of the village to some empty meadows on my shoot where the kid and dogs can go and blast off a bit of energy.  All's good, I can put up with barely edible food in the evening in exchange for a quiet dog and a kid that I can put to bed without World War 3 taking place.

It's the f%&#tards who can't grasp the concept of stopping transmission of a virus that need to be dealt with.  Lock down the cities, leave us alone.

That sounds awful. Mind you be careful about saying you drive 1/2 a mile to get some relief. Some on here will stay that is too far and what if you were to have an accident! I wouldn’t blame you if you drove 100 miles for some relief. 

13 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I can only offer you my support Mate in what are trying times.

As you say the reasoning behind a one size fits all attempt at lockdown has to be the way forward as lots of people have already displayed an unhealthy disregard for the measures so far. Keep sane and keep safe.:good:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

13 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Autism? Would be worth finding out. A friends son is very similar and nuclear meltdowns don't cover his outbursts. He is has autism. I feel your pain. 

43 minutes ago, AVB said:

Some on here will stay that is too far and what if you were to have an accident!

I wonder if those same people have stopped using a knife to make dinner, in case they cut themselves, or stopped using the oven or boiling a kettle, in case they burn themselves, or maybe stopped using the shower, in case they slip and smash their head open. Or any other everyday activity that could end badly for that matter.

14 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I wonder if those same people have stopped using a knife to make dinner, in case they cut themselves, or stopped using the oven or boiling a kettle, in case they burn themselves, or maybe stopped using the shower, in case they slip and smash their head open. Or any other everyday activity that could end badly for that matter.

👍

14 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

That was a very heart felt post , hopefully if we all play our part we can get through this way before the experts predict .

17 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I was going to say the same as Gingercat, it sounds far more like being somewhere on the spectrum than ADHD although both can be present.  I would strongly suggest that when this is all over you seek help, as the earlier a diagnosis is given the better for your child and for you as a family.   If he is autistic, so much can be done to help him make sense of his world and for you as parents too. Shout very loud though for that help. 

20 minutes ago, Sian said:

I was going to say the same as Gingercat, it sounds far more like being somewhere on the spectrum than ADHD although both can be present.  I would strongly suggest that when this is all over you seek help, as the earlier a diagnosis is given the better for your child and for you as a family.   If he is autistic, so much can be done to help him make sense of his world and for you as parents too. Shout very loud though for that help. 

This sounds very much like three of my grandchildren - from 3 different couples. There seems to be a rising trend of this, yet I recall some of this was part of my childhood, I sometimes got locked in an attic to stop me running away and sleeping in a barn. :devil:

Edited by Dave-G

57 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

This sounds very much like three of my grandchildren - from 3 different couples. There seems to be a rising trend of this, yet I recall some of this was part of my childhood, I sometimes got locked in an attic to stop me running away and sleeping in a barn. 

Yes lots of children particularly boys have high energy and certain things in our diet can trigger excessive energy but the traits Jim Neal is describing are very much indicators of autistic behaviour.  In the long run it is definitely worth having professional input because the earlier things are put in place the better the outcome for the child.  I’ve worked with many children on the spectrum, high functioning to extreme autistic and all are worth giving a chance to cope with a world they can’t quite work out.  

I think most of these diagnosise are a load of nonsense, there are of course children with mental issues, but the vast majority are nothing more than active kids, or bad parenting. Getting kids labelled with made up disorders is a joke, take ADHD, what's the treatment, other than filling them up with ritalin and drugging them out of their eyeballs, hardly helpful or good for them. 

6 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think most of these diagnosise are a load of nonsense, there are of course children with mental issues, but the vast majority are nothing more than active kids, or bad parenting. Getting kids labelled with made up disorders is a joke, take ADHD, what's the treatment, other than filling them up with ritalin and drugging them out of their eyeballs, hardly helpful or good for them. 

Bad parenting?  Yup, that was us.. before we realised that our child was autistic.

Bad parents for not realising he was wired differently, saw the world differently, and needed to be helped differently...

Bad parents for being embarrassed when he couldn’t deal with situations and had meltdowns in public instead of helping him through whatever he was struggling to process...

Bad parents for getting frustrated with him for not doing things for himself that “normal” kids did instead of realising that his physical and mental development meant he couldn’t... and for not realising that he probably found it more frustrating than we did. 

It’s easy to say it’s bad parenting when there are mental issues involved. Would you blame parenting if a child had a physical disability from birth?  Thought not...

3 minutes ago, SxS said:

Bad parenting?  Yup, that was us.. before we realised that our child was autistic.

Bad parents for not realising he was wired differently, saw the world differently, and needed to be helped differently...

Bad parents for being embarrassed when he couldn’t deal with situations and had meltdowns in public instead of helping him through whatever he was struggling to process...

Bad parents for getting frustrated with him for not doing things for himself that “normal” kids did instead of realising that his physical and mental development meant he couldn’t... and for not realising that he probably found it more frustrating than we did. 

It’s easy to say it’s bad parenting when there are mental issues involved. Would you blame parenting if a child had a physical disability from birth?  Thought not...

Steady on, I said most, not all, I don't know you, your children, or anything about your personal circumstances.

The amount of people I know of who's kids have ADHD, funny enough though, everything they do in life is a disaster, they can't hold a job down, their dogs are nuts and in my opinion they don't know how to, or can't be bothered to put the effort into raising their children properly, it's no wonder the poor kids have issues. 

8 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Steady on, I said most, not all, I don't know you, your children, or anything about your personal circumstances.

The amount of people I know of who's kids have ADHD, funny enough though, everything they do in life is a disaster, they can't hold a job down, their dogs are nuts and in my opinion they don't know how to, or can't be bothered to put the effort into raising their children properly, it's no wonder the poor kids have issues. 

I suspect it’s more the case that most kids with some form of special needs have parents who struggle to understand/cope with them.  When your child isn’t “normal” little things become a big deal and can make many parts of life seem (or actually become) chaotic. It’s not helped by how hard it is/how long it takes to get proper support for them  

The dog’s nuts though, I’ll give you that... 🤪

14 minutes ago, SxS said:

I suspect it’s more the case that most kids with some form of special needs have parents who struggle to understand/cope with them.  When your child isn’t “normal” little things become a big deal and can make many parts of life seem (or actually become) chaotic. It’s not helped by how hard it is/how long it takes to get proper support for them  

😂 A nephew of mine is autistic. As a small lad he struggled with many things, but give him a jigsaw and it was like he could see all the pieces as a completed picture! Amazing to watch. He was ten before he was diagnosed with glu ear also, which by then had effected his speech somewhat. 
He’s 27 now, has a job through a charitable trust, and loves playing snooker and watching westerns. He’s a lovely lad and his dog is crackers too! 👍

22 minutes ago, SxS said:

I can only imagine how tough/worrying life must be when you have children with health issues, physical or psychological, I probably should have worded it better, rereading my post, I'm surprised I didn't get more flak, so apologies if it upset you or anyone else.

And for the record, I love mental dogs 🤣

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

I’m sure there will be but there are plenty of hardworking, responsible parents who have children with ADD/ADHD and other conditions.  It’s not made up, it’s very real and when you are a child who is labelled naughty, negatively received sometimes by your own parents in their ignorance, your extended family, general public and professionals such as teachers who are stuck in their old ways then you don’t stand much chance.   I know several grown men now in their mid to late 20s who who have ADD.   It presents in different ways as you mature but you can still be seen negatively because your disorganised, forgetful, get overwhelmed by too many things at once etc.  Some are lucky and get the help early on which enables them to function being taught strategies.   Imagine your head filled with so many things but not being able to concentrate on one thing at a time.  It can be exhausting many becomes depressed and anxious.  I am actually sick of people just pretending these conditions don’t exist.  I wish disbelievers could spend just one day with these conditions.  Sorry but it’s so easy just to put everything down to bad parenting.

Apologies, I went off on a bit of a rant last night.  Must have been the wee dram of Scottish talking juice I indulged in! 😂

Thanks all for your support, I maybe made it sound like I was about to do something silly but we muddle through day to day without killing each other!  I could explain in a lot more detail his behaviour but that would be WAYYY off topic!  Yes we have already discussed getting some help, and will maybe even try to see if there's any help available immediately if it can be done via video call or something like that.

Let's just hope the idiots who don't care if they get it or not get their act together and don't prolong this torture unnecessarily!

Edited by Jim Neal

47 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Apologies, I went off on a bit of a rant last night.  Must have been the wee dram of Scottish talking juice I indulged in! 😂

Thanks all for your support, I maybe made it sound like I was about to do something silly but we muddle through day to day without killing each other!  I could explain in a lot more detail his behaviour but that would be WAYYY off topic!  Yes we have already discussed getting some help, and will maybe even try to see if there's any help available immediately if it can be done via video call or something like that.

Let's just hope the idiots who don't care if they get it or not get their act together and don't prolong this torture unnecessarily!

Nothing wrong with a vent, you certainly sound like it was needed.

This might already be obvious but try and find a primary school that deals well with autistic children,  not all schools do to the same level, and it will make a massive difference to you all.

9 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I can only imagine how tough/worrying life must be when you have children with health issues, physical or psychological, I probably should have worded it better, rereading my post, I'm surprised I didn't get more flak, so apologies if it upset you or anyone else.

And for the record, I love mental dogs 🤣

Our son seeing the world differently has also made us see it differently too.  It’s easy to be intolerant, what “normal” looks like is pretty hard wired into us, and the perceptions of others are just one set of things that we have to deal with on a daily basis. Most never realise how hard it is or think to apologise for the comments or judgmental looks, so thank you. 

The more people who realise that not every disability is visible, and the more tolerant they are in general, the easier it becomes for everyone...