Bank holiday fun

WalkedUp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Zapp did you used to frequent Yonny's homebrew shop in Burton Latimer when it was open?  Some of your kit and fittings etc look very similar to his, and similar to mine! He helped me loads when I wanted to get myself set up for all grain brewing!

My kit has been sat around in various states of decay for a few years,.  Since having a kid I've just not had time to get back into it again 😐

Keep saying I'll do it tomorrow but never do!  Naively I thought the lockdown would allow me a bit of time to get stuff done at home but in reality I've got less time than normal with a hyper 3 year old to contend with.

Enjoy your brew in a month or two's time, maybe call it "Oat of Lockdown" 😀

13 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

@Zapp did you used to frequent Yonny's homebrew shop in Burton Latimer when it was open?  Some of your kit and fittings etc look very similar to his, and similar to mine! He helped me loads when I wanted to get myself set up for all grain brewing!

My kit has been sat around in various states of decay for a few years,.  Since having a kid I've just not had time to get back into it again 😐

Keep saying I'll do it tomorrow but never do!  Naively I thought the lockdown would allow me a bit of time to get stuff done at home but in reality I've got less time than normal with a hyper 3 year old to contend with.

Enjoy your brew in a month or two's time, maybe call it "Oat of Lockdown" 😀

Yonny and I used to brew together commercially.  Fantastic bloke and one of the nicest and most generous guys I know. I've been chatting with him all day on Facebook messenger as he was brewing too.

He is doing well himself, he's massively into the craft beer scene and has won awards. Look up the Boot Town Brewery.

Ah!! Yes I saw his facebook post earlier, made me laugh!  "New job driving lorries at night, playing havoc with my alcoholism!"

I've been following the new venture, yes he's really done a great job with Boot Town.  I'm personally not into the really funky craft stuff (I'm an ale drinker on a budget!l) but have tried a couple and it's at least as good as, if not better than a lot of the Brewdog stuff.  Agreed he is a superb bloke, always got time for you and I spent a lot of time in the shop with him chatting carp and sampling his and other customers' brews.  He basically made my kit for me, whilst I helped out and did a few little parts like screwing fittings together, he even drove me over to the plumbing merchants one day to get the right bits of copper pipe and fittings!  You just don't get that from most people who run a business.  I felt really sad when he shut the shop down, almost guilty for not brewing any more and spending money there.

Right that's it, I'm getting all my kit together tomorrow, cleaning it up and doing a brew in the next few days ☺️

My son and I are rebuilding a trailer, great spending time with him showing/teaching him different workshop practices: welding, grinding, tapping, wiring the lights etc. Told him he can have it when it's done. Loving the time spent with him.

2 minutes ago, Ricko said:

My son and I are rebuilding a trailer, great spending time with him showing/teaching him different workshop practices: welding, grinding, tapping, wiring the lights etc. Told him he can have it when it's done. Loving the time spent with him.

Great stuff.  Number 2 son was helping and learning earlier.

Post some pics up, would be great to see the progress.

4 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Zapp that looks like a proper pint, dark as pitch, it's got me salivating.

atb

7diaw

It's as black as blackness, and not just black and sweet like some muck I could mention. 

There will be an update once it's ready, so steady your tastebuds!

12 hours ago, Zapp said:

Here's what I did.

20200410_103419.jpg

20200410_103425.jpg

20200410_170127.jpg

Is it too early in the morning to say that I could murder a pint of that right now? .

I stopped drinking for many years (after years of being a beer monster), but I started drinking again about 18 months ago . I only drink beer when I'm thirsty these days ,and my god does it taste good when you have a thirst . My taste in beer has changed these days , I wouldnt drink carling etc , even if it was free , but a pint of real ale is a thing of beauty , the darker and tastier the better 😊.

Been insulating my thick brick wall workshop with 6 inch composition wood fibre panels and then cladding it  over with OSB sheets for the last week as it is far too cold to use during our winters.                                                                                                                                                 

Second job is untangling a german leopard panzer camo net that I found for free dumped in our local recycling centre.                                 

Third job is taking phone calls from family & friends as I hit the big 70 today.

Edited by bavarianbrit

16 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Been insulating my thick brick wall workshop with 6 inch composition wood fibre panels and then cladding it  over with OSB sheets for the last week as it is far too cold to use during our winters.                                                                                                                                                 

Second job is untangling a german leopard panzer camo net that I found for free dumped in our local recycling centre.                                 

Third job is taking phone calls from family & friends as I hit the big 70 today.

Is the workshop now much smaller? Or did you put the insulation on the outside?:w00t:

How did you know it was from a German Leopard Tank?

Happy Birthday!:good:

25 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

:birthday:

7 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Is it too early in the morning to say that I could murder a pint of that right now? .

I stopped drinking for many years (after years of being a beer monster), but I started drinking again about 18 months ago . I only drink beer when I'm thirsty these days ,and my god does it taste good when you have a thirst . My taste in beer has changed these days , I wouldnt drink carling etc , even if it was free , but a pint of real ale is a thing of beauty , the darker and tastier the better 😊.

You'd be very welcome to one Mel.

Parts of this thread have touched me to a certain aspect, one being that I do enjoy a good occasional stout! Stout reminds me of my dear old Dad as he loved the stuff! 

Other aspects are of a cousin in Stanley, who brews beer for the Beamish Mary Inn at the museum of the same name. He had his own micro brewery which became so popular the museum employed him to make theirs. He suffered a heart attack ( only 61 and as skinny as a lat ) late last year and was due back to work when this virus struck, so being one of those at high risk has been isolated from the beginning. 
Another is not being able to spend time with my kids like others on this thread are doing, as they live with their Mother. But that’s my problem; others have more pressing problems. 
Hopefully we’ll all come through this relatively unscathed. Best of luck everyone. 👍

Just now, islandgun said:

Jeez any thicker and you could spread it on a flat roof..😁 could that be described as a whole food ? 

Looks a proper set up BTW

😆

It's certainly not lacking in flavour.  I'll post a pic in a couple of weeks once its ready to go.

Nothing. For once in my life. I received a letter from Boris Johnson this week telling me to stay at home. The council have just paid my rent for a year with a free grant and now my accountant has told me that the government is paying 80% of my wages for the time being. There’s not a cloud in the sky and it’s 24 degrees outside. So I’m getting drunk. What a great waste of time.

For once in my life

1 hour ago, Pistol p said:

Nothing. For once in my life. I received a letter from Boris Johnson this week telling me to stay at home. The council have just paid my rent for a year with a free grant and now my accountant has told me that the government is paying 80% of my wages for the time being. There’s not a cloud in the sky and it’s 24 degrees outside. So I’m getting drunk. What a great waste of time.

For once in my life

Sounds a bit like me except its hissing down, we have received a very welcome grant from the nice government,  It means i can catch up with stuff i usually dont have time for this time of year, will be planting 150 strawberry plants and 150kg of seed potatoes, plus seeding tomatoes and lettuce and herbs in my new polytunnel, ... apologise to all those stuck indoors