Future house prices

ditchman

just thinkiing whilst out in the garden this afternoon....listening to the joyous crys of children in the gardens ....the parents are actually engaging with them...........sort of reminds me of the sounds 40 years ago..............

experts are saying the housing market is going to take a dive............

im just wondering if people in the cities and towns are going the revaluate their lives and going to move to the country ...where they have a garden and life seems to go on as more or less normal....as opposed to being cooped up in a prision flat or maisonnette....no garden no yard....just 4 walls looking out onto concrete and brick..............that..................if it happens may well see an increase in value of country side properties.............or at the least ...they wont go down..

thoughts ???:hmm:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

If the market drops people might fall into negative equity so it won't necessarily mean this will happen, but I would imagine a % of people will be able to do so.. 

you are right ...the whole market will drop ......but due to supply and demand the country properties will attract a premium which will rectify the fall......

I'd imagine everyone is sat at home wishing their home and garden were bigger right now as we're all compelled to stay in them. I'd love to live in the countryside, but have to admit being in town is so much more convenient  especially with small children. I'd imagine that when the lockdown is lifted people will be reminded of the convenience of town living. City living is a different matter though

We downsized from a huge four storey Georgian house to a tiny bungalow in the green belt that we converted the loft to bedrooms under PD. Not many people downsize with 3 young children but it’s been the best decision. My wife and boys love the house, I love the garden and the view of fields. We have no curtains, no need for them. 

1 hour ago, treetree said:

I'd imagine everyone is sat at home wishing their home and garden were bigger right now as we're all compelled to stay in them. I'd love to live in the countryside, but have to admit being in town is so much more convenient  especially with small children. I'd imagine that when the lockdown is lifted people will be reminded of the convenience of town living. City living is a different matter though

We have lived mostly on towns and cities although semi rural at the moment. There are some benefits but it is a pain when the kids want to be with mates in town (obviously not at the moment) and I feel sorry for older folks who can’t drive and are dependent on a very irregular bus service. 

9 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

We downsized from a huge four storey Georgian house to a tiny bungalow in the green belt that we converted the loft to bedrooms under PD. Not many people downsize with 3 young children but it’s been the best decision. My wife and boys love the house, I love the garden and the view of fields. We have no curtains, no need for them. 

Because there's only me and the wife I'm converting the loft into a man cave! 😀😀

As far as I know the UK area is around 60 million acres. Take area for roads,airports, rail and such infrastructure. Land for agricultural use (provided we still grow stuff) then land for industry and distribution. Then there is the land which would be extremely uninhabitable, high mountains,flood plains,marsh land. I am sure I could think of more non domestic uses.

Then consider our population is well over 60 million and rapidly climbing. We may be lucky to get half acre each. 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

just thinkiing whilst out in the garden this afternoon....listening to the joyous crys of children in the gardens ....the parents are actually engaging with them...........sort of reminds me of the sounds 40 years ago..............

im just wondering if people in the cities and towns are going the revaluate their lives and going to move to the country ...where they have a garden and life seems to go on as more or less normal....as opposed to being cooped up in a prision flat or maisonnette....no garden no yard....just 4 walls looking out onto concrete and brick..............that..................if it happens may well see an increase in value of country side properties.............or at the least ...they wont go down..

thoughts

In some respects it's the same here. Young children in the garden laughing and screaming and having fun. Sometimes with formally very busy parents, business leaders and the like you didn't see  before Corvid 19 as they had very little time to do such things. I've seen those i've never seen before, out riding bicycles with their kids and new dogs that have been kept behind fenced gardens. This virus is changing normality for something different. 

As for money whether it's bricks and mortar, stocks and shares, chattel's, gold, bonds, land  etc. Be prepared to get raped and pillaged further for a good while to come.      

Edited by Whitebridges

Many of the Liverpudlians I work with have young families and live in terraced housing which make up a significant proportion of Liverpool. Lots of these have small postage stamp back yards. However these Victorian terraces make up for that as even though they may appear thin they can go back a long ways. I have been in many which are deceptively cavernous and that can be a draw of this housing as opposed to dearer housing in other areas with a back garden further away from the aforementioned.

I know of lots of adults with young families  who come from tight knit communities with several families in the vicinity and choose to stay close as the benefits of employment , shorter travel times,  having family near for helping with childcare and socializing etc.

I have known a few over the years who have moved  when they have had children to have a house with a garden but not a far way out into the countryside. I live in a semi rural ,rural village which is over a 1000 years old and I can be into Liverpool town center in 30 minutes on a good run. Whenever a colleague asked where I live and I tell them, I would say 9 times out of ten they have no idea where it is. I travel into towards the city for my work.

I would guess that post the current climate that you may very well be correct that a move out of the rat race may be more appealing for more.

One of my favorite videos from youtube.

atb

7diaw

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

thoughts

I thought the same

2 hours ago, stumfelter said:

I suppose a lot of the people with no garden can't afford anything else.

Did the same last year and wish I'd have done it sooner.

I can't afford to do it sooner 

Bungalows around here will be 30k more then the simalar build of house, age wise etc. I've been here 20 years nearly so should make a profit

The estimate is that in excess of 100k people have tragically been lost to the virus globally. In the big scheme of things that's about 0.0013% of the world population - alone that isn't going to reduce demand by much.

From an affordability perspective it's a different story of course but realistically I would think the main wedge that will be driven here is the gap between the haves and have nots.

Whilst there may be a short to medium term dip I would expect the rough doubling of house prices every ten years, which has persisted since at least 1970, will continue.

Houses in the country may become more attractive to those who can afford to move out, especially if the need to socially distance persists but personally I wouldn't envisage a major shift.

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The estimate is that in excess of 100k people have tragically been lost to the virus globally. In the big scheme of things that's about 0.0013% of the world population - alone that isn't going to reduce demand by much.

From an affordability perspective it's a different story of course but realistically I would think the main wedge that will be driven here is the gap between the haves and have nots.

Whilst there may be a short to medium term dip I would expect the rough doubling of house prices every ten years, which has persisted since at least 1970, will continue.

Houses in the country may become more attractive to those who can afford to move out, especially if the need to socially distance persists but personally I wouldn't envisage a major shift.

Predicting house price impact is tricky but if this goes on for a while then I reiterate that the impact on the economy is going to be far far worse than many think. 50% drop in prices? Don’t be surprised. I hope not but, from an economic perspective,  we are in very dangerous times. 

Houses may have doubled every 10 years from the 70’s but we could potentially see a depression as big as the Great Depression. 

It all hangs on how long lockdown lasts. 

Just now, AVB said:

Predicting house price impact is tricky but if this goes on for a while then I reiterate that the impact on the economy is going to be far far worse than many think. 50% drop in prices? Don’t be surprised. I hope not but, from an economic perspective,  we are in very dangerous times. 

Houses may have doubled every 10 years from the 70’s but we could potentially see a depression as big as the Great Depression. 

It all hangs on how long lockdown lasts. 

I agree on the economy aspect. Personally speaking I'm currently not concerned about the value of my house and if things go on indefinitely we'll all have much bigger things to worry about.

But of course the flip side of any risk is opportunity. If the value of my house tanks but I am able to maintain my income then I get twice as much for my money if I decide to upgrade...

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

thoughts

Jesus we don’t want anymore of those city people moving into our villages they are bad news, keep them in their concrete jungles. 

Edited by blackbird

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I agree on the economy aspect. Personally speaking I'm currently not concerned about the value of my house and if things go on indefinitely we'll all have much bigger things to worry about.

But of course the flip side of any risk is opportunity. If the value of my house tanks but I am able to maintain my income then I get twice as much for my money if I decide to upgrade...

Yes I will just be grateful for having a roof over my head. Even if you can afford to move the problem will be finding sellers especially as so many will be in massive negative equity. 

Just now, AVB said:

Yes I will just be grateful for having a roof over my head. Even if you can afford to move the problem will be finding sellers especially as so many will be in massive negative equity. 

Sadly, that's true. Sadder still is that some will not only be in negative equity but also unable to meet their payments.