Brexit talks have collapsed

Remimax

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

You mean like BSA, Austin or British Leyland! Maybe Triumph too........

God help us if that’s the standards that you feel we should be striving for. 

I think we were talking about firms like BSA/Austin before the combination of unions and accountants ###### them up. Long before BL or even Triumph existed.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think we were talking about firms like BSA/Austin before the combination of unions and accountants ###### them up. Long before BL or even Triumph existed.

How do unions and accountants mess up engines? I was hanging on to beezers and Tri/ Nortons in the mid 70's even though they were fading fast compared to a Yammie FS1E

34 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Hate to be admitting that but its correct. HMS Prince Of Wales for example?

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, B725 said:

And if it had a union jack stuck on it you knew it was quality.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Well, you did if it had Rickman Metisse on the tank with the Union Flag, not so sure if it was the other four

22 hours ago, oowee said:

Still time 🤞

Dont be silly now 😃

14 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Sorry, but you're living in the past guys. Those days are gone and with the best will in the world, not coming back

Oh I dont know , I think with good direction, we could get back into manufacturing quality products, we do now, just for other countries !
Brand Britain does still carry some weight, what would Mini be without the British connection ?

This to me was always the real value of Brexit, a re imagining of British industry , particularly farming and manufacture.
Technology and innovation side, we are already a world leader.
Theres a big future out there, and I reckon we can play a big part in it, as an independent nation, not a part of the EU , but not at odds with it either.
If the EU commission wasnt so obsessed with its goals of a superstate, it would realise this and let us go , without trying to cause so much damage to us, and the people THEY are supposed to represent ?

13 hours ago, Jaymo said:

In all fairness, when British Leyland was in its heyday, it was probably of the same standard (ie , rubbish) as every other countries car manufacturers were.
We joined the  EEC (EU) and they moved on , created a better product, and we were pretty much forced to dismantle our car industry.
We just werent competitive anymore, coal and steel soon followed, its got to the point where we cant even build a power station for ourselves any more.
Im surprised we didnt get the Germans to build our new carriers for us :lol:

Such is the depths of our reliance on all things EU , I think its time we picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off, and got back to work.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Oh I dont know , I think with good direction, we could get back into manufacturing quality products, we do now, just for other countries !
Brand Britain does still carry some weight, what would Mini be without the British connection ?

This to me was always the real value of Brexit, a re imagining of British industry , particularly farming and manufacture.
Technology and innovation side, we are already a world leader.
Theres a big future out there, and I reckon we can play a big part in it, as an independent nation, not a part of the EU , but not at odds with it either.
If the EU commission wasnt so obsessed with its goals of a superstate, it would realise this and let us go , without trying to cause so much damage to us, and the people THEY are supposed to represent ?

Unless the govt stump up some real cash to drive this then imagining is all it will be.

That said there is always the new Dept of Investment who are trying to get money from, yes you guessed it, overseas.

Feel free to counter with examples where the UK govt are demonstrating serious investment in rebuilding UK Industry - just forgive me if I don't hold my breath whilst waiting...

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Feel free to counter with examples where the UK govt are demonstrating serious investment in rebuilding UK Industry - just forgive me if I don't hold my breath whilst waiting...

I hear what youre saying , but I will counter with the fact that UK govt were VERY quick to prop the country up (rightly or wrongly) with massive covid funding.
If they cant do similar for industry post Brexit, then I will gladly stand with you in condemnation.

I remember very well the farewell greeting at work in the UK was often "don't work too hard". Where will all these nose to the grindstoner"s appear from? It is a great dream to make Britain just like the USA great again but many other hungry countries have taken up the baton and without state aid like China does UK will never build up to the old days again. So see I the future. There needs to be a new take on what the UK can do best and then go hell for leather for it.

Nice dream I know.

8 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

I remember very well the farewell greeting at work in the UK was often "don't work too hard". Where will all these nose to the grindstoner"s appear from? It is a great dream to make Britain just like the USA great again but many other hungry countries have taken up the baton and without state aid like China does UK will never build up to the old days again. So see I the future. There needs to be a new take on what the UK can do best and then go hell for leather for it.

Nice dream I know.

Again ,I agree , work mentality in the British workforce needs a shake up, and I do believe that shake up is coming.

Theres nothing like a good dose of unemployment and recession to focus the mind.
And ,as always....

Hard Times Create Strong Men : TheRightCantMeme

26 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Nice dream I know.

Far too many with the "Out the door at 4" mentality 

24 minutes ago, the enigma said:

Far too many with the "Out the door at 4" mentality 

I still see a lot of people with the ‘them’ (managers) and ‘us’ (workers) attitude who see it as a challenge to get one over on their boss. 

29 minutes ago, AVB said:

I still see a lot of people with the ‘them’ (managers) and ‘us’ (workers) attitude who see it as a challenge to get one over on their boss. 

I work in unison with my Boss.

She knows things will get done and she can get on with other stuff!

Some of my colleagues on the other hand will go out of their way to be difficult.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Again ,I agree , work mentality in the British workforce needs a shake up, and I do believe that shake up is coming.

Theres nothing like a good dose of unemployment and recession to focus the mind.
And ,as always....

Good news it started today at Honda. :good:

Must give the quitters a thrill.  More to come no doubt. 

Edited by oowee

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

Must give the quitters a thrill.  More to come no doubt.

Of course there will    'And its all because of Brexit' isnt it ?

Car manufacture , Europe wide , has been on the ropes for YEARS , for a variety of reasons , not least because in 10 years,  time climate change advocates achieve their wet dream.
But no , lets try and believe that auto manufacture will only decline in the UK, we will of course become a wasteland of rag wearing paupers , who cant afford to own or run cars within 5 years anyway 'Because of Brexit'

But its hardly news, and not the first time the dwindling remain camp followers have tried to blame brexit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/business/brexit-honda.html

Honda Confirms Plan to Leave Britain as Brexit Looms

The Japanese automaker, which employs 3,500 at its Swindon, England, plant, is set to close the site by 2021.

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Feb. 18, 2019

LONDON — The Japanese automaker Honda has become the latest business to make plans to leave Britain as global forces reshape the car industry and the country prepares to exit the European Union.

Honda will close its plant in Swindon, England, which employs 3,500 workers, by 2021, it confirmed on Tuesday.

The factory, which produces about 150,000 cars a year, will close once its current line of Civic cars comes to an end.

“In light of the unprecedented changes that are affecting our industry, it is vital that we accelerate our electrification strategy and restructure our global operations accordingly,” Katsushi Inoue, the chief officer for European operations, said in a statement.

21 hours ago, henry d said:

How do unions and accountants mess up engines? I was hanging on to beezers and Tri/ Nortons in the mid 70's even though they were fading fast compared to a Yammie FS1E

I was thinking more about how good and reliable BSA and Austin stuff was perceived about 1900 / 1930. You are thinking dates after it all went **** up.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Of course there will    'And its all because of Brexit' isnt it ?

Car manufacture , Europe wide , has been on the ropes for YEARS , for a variety of reasons , not least because in 10 years,  time climate change advocates achieve their wet dream.
But no , lets try and believe that auto manufacture will only decline in the UK, we will of course become a wasteland of rag wearing paupers , who cant afford to own or run cars within 5 years anyway 'Because of Brexit'

But its hardly news, and not the first time the dwindling remain camp followers have tried to blame brexit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/business/brexit-honda.html

Honda Confirms Plan to Leave Britain as Brexit Looms

The Japanese automaker, which employs 3,500 at its Swindon, England, plant, is set to close the site by 2021.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Feb. 18, 2019

LONDON — The Japanese automaker Honda has become the latest business to make plans to leave Britain as global forces reshape the car industry and the country prepares to exit the European Union.

Honda will close its plant in Swindon, England, which employs 3,500 workers, by 2021, it confirmed on Tuesday.

The factory, which produces about 150,000 cars a year, will close once its current line of Civic cars comes to an end.

“In light of the unprecedented changes that are affecting our industry, it is vital that we accelerate our electrification strategy and restructure our global operations accordingly,” Katsushi Inoue, the chief officer for European operations, said in a statement.

There is the a reason, the plant was intended to make Honda cars to sell into the EU but the EU remained resistant to Japanese makers. Nissan had the same problem,  Demand never reached the levels that was predicted for the plant