Oxford University - AstraZeneca's Vaccine Approved

TIGHTCHOKE

3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

good news, get your sleeves rolled up folks

It is good news but I would not get too excited, 2024 is the projected timescale to produce enough, assuming no further mutations which is quite a supposition.

I have not yet heard of any significant plans to ramp up production facilities to a level whereby we can get ahead, which is somewhat surprising.

34 minutes ago, oowee said:

Brilliant news send some down here. 

Brilliant news send some all over the way infection rate is going up because we will have more idiots trying to spread it on Thursday night for the NHS to deal with. Light at end of tunnel and stay safe all

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

2024 is the projected timescale to produce enough

The boss (?) of Astrazeneca was on R4 this morning.  He was asked about production capacity.  They already have 'many millions' stockpiled (4 million was mentioned on ITV) and he claimed that they could supply the UK faster than expected capacity to administer (tens of millions in Q1/21)- and also have capacity to supply other countries. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-30/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-who-will-get-it-when-and-how

It apparently is more flexible in when the second dose is needed - up to 12 weeks being allowable.  The first dose apparently gives a high immunity within a week or so, but declines - and the second dose is much longer lasting.

1 minute ago, Fisheruk said:

It’ll be a long queue 😳

Too right - currently for the 70-75 and/or Highly vulnerable they are giving February as earliest.  To be fair however most GP surgeries are already working to capacity and using the flu clinic as an example this requires a group of 5 staff on  overtime to run and administer.

17 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

February is not bad, I’ll be 74 then 👍

Yeah, I’m 61 so a wait to go yet, but as I’ve mentioned, one of the blokes who beats with us is 70 and has received notification of a date and venue where he will receive his. He’s super fit and still an active member of a local mountain rescue team, so how it’s all worked out I don’t know. 

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Walker570 should be one of the first PW Members to get the jab.:good:

Good for him and any others receiving their jabs shortly.

Until such time that we all have our jabs, keep safe everyone and let’s look forward to a better year ahead.

OB