More restrictions possible in England (and Wales)

discobob

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I wear a mask for work or I will when I go back. The blue ones that you see everyone wearing or not. I was reliably told by my wife that they offer no protection at all from covid. If someone coughs on you who has covid and not wearing a mask and you are. The chances of you still contracting the virus from that person is very high to almost certain.

They do however stop you transmitting it to others, The virus can get in through the front but cannot get out.

Why then are these the masks they issue you with and insist on you wearing when visiting hospital? are you actually saying the materiel works one way only?

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

Why then are these the masks they issue you with and insist on you wearing when visiting hospital? are you actually saying the materiel works one way only?

Same mask's surgeons use to stop bacteria from him being transmitted to an open wound or what ever surgery he is doing. DOES NOT stop transmission the other way, unfortunately. It does say on the box not suitable for viral conditions.

Masks only work once.  Walk into a store wearing one, walk out and bin it.  These antsy fancy things are no better because they do not get washed.  Far better than to just keep your distance...basic common sense.  These lockdowns do not work. Ask yourself has the rate gone down in the last week or so?  No, and it will not. The virus is here and until we all get our jabs it will continue to infect.  Just learn to live with it and take precautions.

41 minutes ago, markm said:

Make wearing a mask in any internal public area the law. 

If you can’t wear a mask, have someone shop (or whatever) for you. I think we all know know that (for other than SEN) there is no reason not to wear one, it is total p00p. 

I've said this before,  if you are going to the shops then wear a mask,  there can't be many reasons why someone can't wear a mask for twenty minutes nipping in the shop, it's a very small thing to be able to protect others.

Or use click and collect,  home delivery,  or have someone else shop for you.

The professional medical advice given to the government from day one was that masks are of little benefit, why that advice would be different now is anyone’s guess. They certainly didn’t do much good in the virus’ place of origin, and they’ve been wearing them for donkies years.  
I only wear one because I won’t be allowed in the shops I need to go in or do the things I want to do, without one. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

The professional medical advice given to the government from day one was that masks are of little benefit, why that advice would be different now is anyone’s guess. They certainly didn’t do much good in the virus’ place of origin, and they’ve been wearing them for donkies years.  
I only wear one because I won’t be allowed in the shops I need to go in or do the things I want to do, without one. 

Because it’s an easy way to show compliance. It’s the governments way of making people believe that they are contributing to the effort and dissenters can be easily identified. 

In the news today, Morrisons are to ban people who don't wear masks. Great, but I can't think why this wasn't the case when masks were made compulsory. In our local shops I've not seen anyone flouting it particularly. West Dorset's pretty low on the Covid outbreak scale of doom, too, unlike East Dorset. Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch are really letting the county side down!

3 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

In the news today, Morrisons are to ban people who don't wear masks. Great, but I can't think why this wasn't the case when masks were made compulsory. In our local shops I've not seen anyone flouting it particularly. West Dorset's pretty low on the Covid outbreak scale of doom, too, unlike East Dorset. Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch are really letting the county side down!

The issue is around discriminating against somebody who may have a legitimate reason not to wear a mask (I read of a rape victim who couldn’t have anything across her face as it brought back memories of being attacked) and the uneasy position of making people prove a ‘disability’. It’s a tricky one. The government advice is still that you don’t need to provide evidence of a medical condition so it puts shops in a difficult position. 

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

Wasn't this because they didn't want people panic buying the masks like toilet rolls when they wanted them for the NHS,  my SIL is in daily contact with covid patients,  would anyone want to do this without a mask?

You could argue that the government is still trying to tip toe around everyone,  its January its wet and cold, tell everyone to stay home for the next two/three weeks, everyone!,  just allowed out for food shopping and having the vaccine,  that should stop the spread.

There will be people who have to work, farmers, emergency services, NHS, power plant, and more I'm sure others will come up with, but while people are still mixing and bending the rules to snapping point then this virus won't go away. 

Edited by Mice!
Spelling

7 minutes ago, AVB said:

The issue is around discriminating against somebody who may have a legitimate reason not to wear a mask (I read of a rape victim who couldn’t have anything across her face as it brought back memories of being attacked) and the uneasy position of making people prove a ‘disability’. It’s a tricky one. The government advice is still that you don’t need to provide evidence of a medical condition so it puts shops in a difficult position. 

Oh absolutely. and they make it clear they're not making people wear them with medical exemptions. I think some way of proving the exemption needs to be looked at. Some form of letter from a medical professional could be arranged. With any luck it'd help those who have them feel that they are not being judged by every passing knowitall, because they could only be in the store with the medical exemption. 

What I'd hate to see is for people with those exemptions feeling like they're unable to go out. It can be a pretty alienating experience having a medical condition that's not immediately apparent; I wouldn't want it to be the case that the default for them would be to just stay home because they feel unnecessarily judged. 

5 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

What I'd hate to see is for people with those exemptions feeling like they're unable to go out. It can be a pretty alienating experience having a medical condition that's not immediately apparent; I wouldn't want it to be the case that the default for them would be to just stay home because they feel unnecessarily judged. 

No we stay at home as much as possible so the ding bat nay sayers don't give us the virus 

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

Wasn't this because they didn't want people panic buying the masks like toilet rolls when they wanted them for the NHS,  my SIL is in daily contact with covid patients,  would anyone want to do this without a mask?

You could argue that the government is still trying to tip toe around everyone,  its January its wet and cold, tell everyone to stay home for the next two/three weeks, everyone!,  just aloud out for food shopping and having the vaccine,  that should stop the spread.

There will be people who have to work, farmers, emergency services, NHS, power plant, and more I'm sure others will come up with, but while people are still mixing and bending the rules to snapping point then this virus won't go away. 

I have no idea. People have and do quite often, catch the virus in hospital, where I’m assuming PPE and personal hygiene is in theory, top notch?  I’m not naive enough to believe it is of course.....hospitals are a breeding ground for germs, but  it would seem masks are as first stated, of little benefit. 
There is no predictability with this virus, the more it goes on the more I’m prone to believe it’s a total lottery. 

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

but while people are still mixing and bending the rules to snapping point are not living in sterile bubbles then this virus won't go away. 

It's an airborne virus.  It will not get back in its box.

21 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Start fining the shops and it will stop overnight

For what, failing to prove a negative?  "I don't need to wear a mask, I'm medically exempt"  "prove it!"  "What, you're store security, and in any case, you need to prove I'm not, poke off."

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

The professional medical advice given to the government from day one was that masks are of little benefit, why that advice would be different now is anyone’s guess.

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN? : TheSimpsons

It was the incessant demands to 'do something' by the Keir Lovejoys of this world that led to the government to cave on the mask issue.

Having just watched the latest hopeful TV spouting's it seems clear that control of the virus is still left in the hands of the uncaring and supplies of vaccine?

It is quite amusing that the government think it prudent to allow proven rule breakers to keep promoting "behavioural responsibility" to the plebs?

We were advised, well in advance, that numbers would rise in the Winter as people tended to stay indoors, now, at the same time, apparently if we stay indoors the virus will not spread and we will save the NHS. Save the NHS - now there's a mute point, even before this fiasco the NHS was performing well below par with cancelled operations and huge queues at A&E.

17 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It's not just that, where my SIL works had an outbreak a while back, they put it down to the brew room, people touching things, kettle,  fridge,  toaster etc they now diligently wipe things every time, apparently using wipes to lift the kettle for example. 

Often the people paid to clean are on the lowest wage,  how good a job are they going to do?

When I arrive at work I wipe down 'my' table in the brew room,  I do this every night, then keep my hands clean and mind my distance,  not everyone else does, but since xmas folk are being more aware,  the new variant has got people thinking.

23 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

For what, failing to prove a negative?  "I don't need to wear a mask, I'm medically exempt"  "prove it!"  "What, you're store security, and in any case, you need to prove I'm not, poke off

Morrisons are bringing in a no mask no entry policy. 

17 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It's not just that, where my SIL works had an outbreak a while back, they put it down to the brew room, people touching things, kettle,  fridge,  toaster etc they now diligently wipe things every time, apparently using wipes to lift the kettle for example. 

Often the people paid to clean are on the lowest wage,  how good a job are they going to do?

When I arrive at work I wipe down 'my' table in the brew room,  I do this every night, then keep my hands clean and mind my distance,  not everyone else does, but since xmas folk are being more aware,  the new variant has got people thinking.

23 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

For what, failing to prove a negative?  "I don't need to wear a mask, I'm medically exempt"  "prove it!"  "What, you're store security, and in any case, you need to prove I'm not, poke off

Morrisons are bringing in a no mask no entry policy.