Furlough pay back

scolopax

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, elgreco said:

As far as I know they don’t need to pay it back. 

This. I’m assuming we’ll all be paying it back for some time to come, via taxation or cuts. 🤷‍♂️
I can’t think why only those who received it should be responsible for paying it back, it wasn’t exactly their decision to stay at home. 

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

can’t think why only those who received it should be responsible for paying it back, it wasn’t exactly their decision to stay at home. 

I know of a tidy few that have done very very well from being on furlough, which does sit well with me.

1 hour ago, 8 shot said:

I know of a tidy few that have done very very well from being on furlough, which does sit well with me.

Yes. I know of at least two who have done so. Continuing their usual self-employment whilst at the same time receiving SEISS. But I won't condemn it. It was a Grant. It was paid automatically and it would have been churlish to refuse it after that nice Mr Johnson and that kindly Mr Sunak made so much effort to set it up. 

And those who had just started self-employment before covid and the lockdown in March 2020? Or those who were long term twenty year plus self-employed but because directly because of that nice Mr Johnson's Brexit had had since 2016 their worst three years of accounts?

Well trot on. We got nothing. Because actually seeing what was needed to help all who were genuinely self-employed immediately before March 2016 or who had been affected by Brexit was not what was "easy" and too much difficulty for that same nice Mr Johnson and that kindly Mr Sunak.

1 hour ago, 8 shot said:

I equally know of a tidy few who didn’t do well….80% of not a lot is basically **** all. 
I know because I supported two of them. 

4 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. I know of at least two who have done so. Continuing their usual self-employment whilst at the same time receiving SEISS. But I won't condemn it. It was a Grant. It was paid automatically and it would have been churlish to refuse it after that nice Mr Johnson and that kindly Mr Sunak made so much effort to set it up. 

And those who had just started self-employment before covid and the lockdown in March 2020? Or those who were long term twenty year plus self-employed but because directly because of that nice Mr Johnson's Brexit had had since 2016 their worst three years of accounts?

Well trot on. We got nothing. Because actually seeing what was needed to help all who were genuinely self-employed immediately before March 2016 or who had been affected by Brexit was not what was "easy" and too much difficulty for that same nice Mr Johnson and that kindly Mr Sunak.

I’ve been self employed for donkies years, and continued working as self employed, as I was perfectly entitled to, while receiving the grants I was perfectly entitled to. 
As HMRC have all my details and accounts, I’ve no doubt they’ll be letting me know if I’ve received anything I wasn’t entitled to. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I equally know of a tidy few who didn’t do well….80% of not a lot is basically **** all. 
I know because I supported two of them. 

I’ve been self employed for donkies years, and continued working as self employed, as I was perfectly entitled to, while receiving the grants I was perfectly entitled to. 
As HMRC have all my details and accounts, I’ve no doubt they’ll be letting me know if I’ve received anything I wasn’t entitled to. 

This. 100% Correct. 👍

The whole point to the scheme was to keep the country going and minimise job losses and damage to businesses. Some will have made and some will have lost, but I don't think the burden to pay it back should fall on any particular group as it was for the good of everyone. The only thing that should happen is anyone caught abusing it, like employers and employees claiming it for employees who continued to work, should have the book thrown at them. 

We had a lad at work who caught covid from his wife. He did the decent thing and stayed home for 2 weeks. Fit lad so only had a day of discomfort. He was, however, immediately put on statuary sick pay and he lost about £800 - a lot for a young family with one income. Seems to me somewhat unfair that financial support was not given in that situation at the same level (80%) as furloughed non workers. As he has said - next time he will come to work as he cannot deal with the stress and worry, I for one would not blame him.

Hello, if a self employed person continued to work and still claimed for SEISS payments would not HMRC not see their income had not changed and refused payments, maybe in the next financial year it will show up on their tax returns ? Unless they were working cash in hand ?

7 hours ago, 39TDS said:

And the small limited companies got nothing.

My trade is in to pubs and restaurants etc and as they were shut I had no trade. Small limited company? No, sorry but you get absolutely nothing.

Hello, I thought small companies got £10, 000 as a one off payment, ?

17 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if a self employed person continued to work and still claimed for SEISS payments would not HMRC not see their income had not changed and refused payments, maybe in the next financial year it will show up on their tax returns ? Unless they were working cash in hand ?

they did but it was immediately taxed as profit so in truth only received £ 8100 to support them, better than nothing I suppose

9 hours ago, millrace said:

Funny how the self employed who could continued to work full time felt it was their right to receive additional income support many many have done very well from this farce.....but we will all pay for it whether we recieved any of it or not!!

‘Funny’? Not really. I continued to work throughout, but that doesn’t mean my income was unaffected. The government introduced a means to reimburse for lost income, based on their previous years income,  and those who were affected in such a way took advantage of it. It wasn’t ‘additional’. 
I didn’t feel it was my ‘right’, either, it was something I was offered so took advantage of it, just as anyone else would. 
I haven’t claimed for the latest grant even though my accountant tells me I could, as I’m more or less back on track now. 

46 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Some may have got something,  but many got nothing,  I hadn't been operating as a limited company for the required time so got squat,  I actually stopped contracting as it was the safest option. 

The way small company payments were administered meant we got nothing. Which is fine there will always be cracks in the system. Some of my employed pals have been legitimately earning 150% due to furlough pay and perfectly legal moonlighting. Some others have been paid by the government to stay at home and do their house up. Obviously all this free money means inflation looms, which is nice. 

Impossible situation, anyone who had a better plan 18 months ago and could foresee all these twists and turns please step forward. 

BoJo’s alleged threat to demote Rishi is suicidal. He is not dealing with a Gordon Brown type figure, this is a man with almost universal approval and the confidence of the nation not just Tories vs a man who can’t be trusted to keep his sausage in his trousers. 

I have made my thoughts known on here in the past. I believe that the furlough should be paid back by the people/companies that it benefitted - in perhaps a similar method as the students do with their loans. It won't cover everything but would ease the taxation increases that will come.

Although slagged for where it sources its products etc... This was a breath of fresh air to see a company do this - https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-primark-to-return-121m-in-furlough-cash-as-reopening-sparks-record-sales-12280906 

Edited by discobob

Those who hadn’t been trading for long enough to qualify, have been able to claim for the last two grants according to another self employed bloke in the village. Directors of ltd companies weren’t allowed to claim, which is what the local pub owners are, but someone I know well in town received a lump sum of 10k for loss of earnings to their holiday let. They hadn’t even claimed! 

4 hours ago, discobob said:

I have made my thoughts known on here in the past. I believe that the furlough should be paid back by the people/companies that it benefitted - in perhaps a similar method as the students do with their loans. It won't cover everything but would ease the taxation increases that will come.

Although slagged for where it sources its products etc... This was a breath of fresh air to see a company do this - https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-primark-to-return-121m-in-furlough-cash-as-reopening-sparks-record-sales-12280906 

How on Earth are people on minimum wage supposed to pay it back? 
Despite what some folk think, most people on furlough weren’t sitting at home having a jolly good time. They were at home ON THE GOVERNMENTS INSISTENCE, and NOT BY CHOICE. I know some who have got into debt trying to make ends meet, and some whom it has really been a time of depression and desperation, of which getting back to work is just the first step in a long process to recovery. 
Like I said, 80% of not a lot is even less. 
I have no doubt there will be those for whom furlough was great, but there really are some bitter and twisted unthinking, blinkered people about. 

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

If the company had a rateable property, mine doesn't.

As far as I could ever find out there was no help for me or my company whatsoever (apart from a low interest "bounceback" loan).

All these loans, grants, furlough etc will have to be paid back, Can I just ask that the recipients pay rather than everyone. Fat chance of that of course but it would be fairer.

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Despite what some folk think, most people on furlough weren’t sitting at home having a jolly good time. They were at home ON THE GOVERNMENTS INSISTENCE, and NOT BY CHOICE. I know some who have got into debt trying to make ends meet, and some whom it has really been a time of depression and desperation, of which getting back to work is just the first step in a long process to recovery. 
I have no doubt there will be those for whom furlough was great, but there really are some bitter and twisted unthinking, blinkered people about. 

Well said.

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

Did you miss where I said 

" perhaps a similar method as the students do with their loans"

They don't repay until a certain of income and those on minimum wage would not be in receipt of the full amount of Furlough - but the employer could still be paying back - because they have benefitted by having staff (not all are going back - I will give you that)f retained who knows the company etc.....

Despite what some folk think - There will be some that will be affected but there are quite a few that benefitted as some have already raised and I know some as well