Afghanistan

oowee

8 hours ago, toontastic said:

Just 2 points, first of all Biden hit the nail on the head last last when he said "why should our troops die when theirs won't even fight" 

While I would also agree with that statement, considering our troops have died for them, why on earth would you hand it back to the taliban on a silver plater instead of giving the afgan army every chance of success with a staged draw down, instead of pulling the rug from under their feet. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, henry d said:

Piffle, the Chinese are too interested in places like Kenya which are stable and looking to move forward, they have pooped on their own doorstep as far as Islam, and particularly fundamentalist regimes, is concerned due to the way they have treated the Uighur Muslims.

Well 12 hours later this is coming out, couldn’t have called that better. 

In exchange, China offered economic support and investment for Afghanistan's reconstruction. 

On Monday, China said it "welcomed" the chance to deepen ties with Afghanistan, a country that has for generations been coveted for its geo-strategic importance by bigger powers.

"The Taliban have repeatedly expressed their hope to develop good relations with China, and that they look forward to China's participation in the reconstruction and development of Afghanistan," foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters.

3EC21FB9-34A5-4C3B-B69C-D432BD7B7053.png

Good News everybody, 20 000 of them are coming here to stay, after wasting over 37 billion of taxpayers money (imagine what the NHS could have done with that money) we are now going to magically find houses, and no doubt benefits, for 20 000 if them. If you are currently on the housing list you may have to be a little more patient.

20,000 and the rest! It is normally in circumstances like this that our politicians like to grandstand and delude themselves that we are still a nation of international significance, and therefore look to do more than any other nation and revel in the virtue of offering more than any other nation (not that any of them will end up anywhere near them, or compete for school resources with their children, or impact their access to services).

Also, what do we do now when the boats arrive in Dover and everyone claims to be from Afghanistan.

1 hour ago, treetree said:

Also, what do we do now when the boats arrive in Dover and everyone claims to be from Afghanistan.

The key word is "claims"

this is an interesting read, and from a very good source

How the Taliban engineered 'political collapse' of Afghanistan | Reuters

Edited by Vince Green

Hello, from what I can see and hear the Taliban want to become the Afghans friendly Government , like wolves in sheep's clothing ? , They are already out in the province's going from house to house , they will be looking for those that worked for the Uk and Usa forces, news reporters, or those that defiled the Taliban regime , now China wants to shake hands , I can see Russia not far behind, and to quote an Afghan national, All we want is a peaceful life for our families and children, one can only hope, 

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, from what I can see and hear the Taliban want to become the Afghans friendly Government , like wolves in sheep's clothing ? , They are already out in the province's going from house to house , they will be looking for those that worked for the Uk and Usa forces, news reporters, or those that defiled the Taliban regime , now China wants to shake hands , I can see Russia not far behind, and to quote an Afghan national, All we want is a peaceful life for our families and children, one can only hope, 

I saw a copy of a tweet from some ex squaddie that 4 of the afghan guys he served with in the country had already been executed outside their houses. As soon as the last people leave and there is no more coalition defence around the airport or risk of imminent airstrip you will start to see more and more reports of executions and women's rights being infringed. China won't give a damn whats going on so long as they can rape the place for mineral rights like they do in africa

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Good News everybody, 20 000 of them are coming here to stay, after wasting over 37 billion of taxpayers money (imagine what the NHS could have done with that money) we are now going to magically find houses, and no doubt benefits, for 20 000 if them. If you are currently on the housing list you may have to be a little more patient.

Unfortunately only too true. 

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

If they served along side British troops in any capacity they will now be genuine refugees in fear of their lives and should be let in  

I hear what you say but it just sounds like it will end up as an uncontrolled admission of criminals and terroists.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

If they served along side British troops in any capacity they will now be genuine refugees in fear of their lives and should be let in  

This. Many of those will have families, they can’t be expected to leave them behind. 
The Taliban will administer swift retribution on those they feel have wronged them. You have to remember you’re not dealing with progressive, rational human beings here. 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

The videos are already on the dark web.  

19 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

While I would also agree with that statement, considering our troops have died for them, why on earth would you hand it back to the taliban on a silver plater instead of giving the afgan army every chance of success with a staged draw down, instead of pulling the rug from under their feet. 

This ^^^^^ as originaly proposed. 

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

What without the use of a rubber dinghy? 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I see the Afghan president did a bunk taking millions of £££sss with him, ?

He cleared out to the UAE with reportedly $169 on him. I did hear that there has been anti taliban protests and one person has been shot dead while putting up an Afghan national flag in some square.

The guy who has declared himself as the real acting president has a loyal band of supporters openly defying the taliban and according to him its not over yet. Wonder will the US government give him some support

39 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

He cleared out to the UAE with reportedly $169 on him. I did hear that there has been anti taliban protests and one person has been shot dead while putting up an Afghan national flag in some square.

The guy who has declared himself as the real acting president has a loyal band of supporters openly defying the taliban and according to him its not over yet. Wonder will the US government give him some support

I would hope so. 

For all the criticism (which is justified imo) that the afgan army fled. I really feel for those who did their duty and fought, assured by the afgan president and I've no doubt western forces that as long as the fought they would win. Well Western forces have now pulled out, the ex afgan president will be living it up in the UAE, most likely on UK and US money, while all the guys who stood and fought, many without pay will now be tortured then slaughtered. 

56 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I'm sure they will, even if its covert. 

The thing I don't understand is how easily the Taliban has strolled back in, if the population new what was going to happen then why just roll over.

4 hours ago, redial said:

By the time we put 20,000 in housing and get most of them on the benefit system.

It may have been cheaper to keep the military over there.

These 20,000 would make one hell of a strike force, rather than running away. 

as i said before/earlier.............this has only just started....im sure there is going to be a viscous/nasty/cruel/bloody power struggle when the west has nearly vacated the country...........and what comes out of that ...the west will have to protect against

im sure Iran is going to have some sort of input as well...and Iraq....this could end up as a real poo storm in the middle east.........UK needs to start drilling as many oil wells as poss...to future proof itself.......