Vaping on the NHS

old man

I think it’s more nuanced than that with the idea that the cost of the scheme is offset by the savings on medical treatment for those that continue to smoke, as vaping is deemed lower risk (I know some will take issue with that statement)

personally I tried several methods to give up the fags and vaping was the only thing that worked so I’m all for it if it helps others quit

This is just the ammunition ( no pun) I need ,I have a couple of medical issues one in my left hip ,that was that bad last year I was admitted to hospital they in their professional opinion thought before seeing any xrays /ct scan results it was either cancer or a tumour so wanted to open me up but me being me declined their offer, so my very good GP put me on Ibuprofen gel as he saw my scans and the problem had dissapated and gone and the gel worked , put in a repeat script this week and was told  I now have to purchase the gel if I need it in future as it can be bought over the counter my argument will be now so can Vap  materials  so I will putting that to the Quack.

Like drinking, I wasn't forced to start smoking, I started from habit of being in the wrong groups, from being around others that were, and not wanting to be left out from the 'cool' kids. It is a habit, which escalates to a addiction and I know, I've a past that would make mick jagger blush. 

From this, I stand by my word, if you've got £13 for a pack of fags, you can buy your own vape juice. If not, get free patches. Besides champix or some others are better suited for quitting if your body is up for it, mine isn't. 

The other flip side is I know of 1 person who's started vaping now (0% nicotine) in his 20s, as he didn't want to smoke but wanted to look like the ******* who go down the street billowing like a train. Oh well. 

I saw an otherwise attractive young woman (18-22) smoking as I walked to my car this evening. I was amazed that anyone would be daft enough to take it up now as smoking has been considered dirty and unfashionable for such a long time.

A lot of old people started to smoke because it was promoted in film and advertising as being “cool” and so had an allure across society but that was a very long time ago. 

Society giving free vape fluid to people who became addicted by being conned into starting by media and commercial influences 40 years ago seems ok, whilst giving it to fools who have known better from birth seems like good money after bad. 

10 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I saw an otherwise attractive young woman (18-22) smoking as I walked to my car this evening. I was amazed that anyone would be daft enough to take it up now as smoking has been considered dirty and unfashionable for such a long time.

A lot of old people started to smoke because it was promoted in film and advertising as being “cool” and so had an allure across society but that was a very long time ago. 

Society giving free vape fluid to people who became addicted by being conned into starting by media and commercial influences 40 years ago seems ok, whilst giving it to fools who have known better from birth seems like good money after bad. 

Smoking kills the appetite, which is why a lot of them smoke….to stay slim, and is also why most people gain weight when they stop, as most ex smokers replace tobacco with food, and just as frequently. 

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

which is why a lot of them smoke….to stay slim

Interesting, a bit mad obviously but interesting that is why they do it. My wife’s grandmother was a district nurse and hating smoking but smoke during each of her five pregnancies as the perceived wisdom was that it “made the babies smaller, so safer and easier to get out” 🙈

I smoked for nearly  60 years and it was only Vaping that got me off cigarettes nearly 3 years ago. I tied to pack them in many times and could not manage it at all. Vaping did it for me and I found it relatively easy to pack in compared to all previous attempts. I still vape but no nicotine and cutting down greatly on it week by week.

I would not expect it to be free on the NHS but would certainly recommend it as a means of stopping smoking and certainly a much cheaper alternative to cigarettes.

I packed in smoking 30 plus yrs ago started when i was 12 like most because all the other kids did it. I didn't use patches all it took was a £50 bet money up front 

What about the ones that will get free vape and sell it  to others cheaper and still smoke 

Edited by Rim Fire

I had an eye opener recently when I met someone who was one of my best friends when we were small children (under 10 years old, so 55 years ago).  Although I have seen him occasionally since, I hadn't seen him for many years.  He was a smoker from his teens, and now struggles to get about (mobility scooter), has to use an oxygen bottle and generally has a seriously impaired quality of life.  He doesn't smoke now, but did continue to smoke for a fair time despite the early signs of COPD.

Sadly it is now apparently too late for him to 'get better', though stopping will slow the rate of decline.  It was a big eye opener to me.

14 hours ago, Scully said:

Smoking kills the appetite, which is why a lot of them smoke….to stay slim, and is also why most people gain weight when they stop, as most ex smokers replace tobacco with food, and just as frequently. 

Pork pies for me please.

Perhaps I'll start vaping if it's free, why not?