Time for the Monarchy to go.

oowee

Much as I have total respect for the Queen and all that she has done in service to the country, the Prince Andrew situation highlights just how much performance is dependent on the individual. Who and where is the payment of the legal fees coming from? Where did the Duchy money come from in the first place? Now Charles is under suspicion. Clearly innocent now but we should not be dependent on individuals. That cannot be right how long before we get a complete chump at the helm. How do we hold these people to account? 

It's time for this outdated institution to go. 

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

Much as I have total respect for the Queen and all that she has done in service to the country, the Prince Andrew situation highlights just how much performance is dependent on the individual. Who and where is the payment of the legal fees coming from? Where did the Duchy money come from in the first place? Now Charles is under suspicion. Clearly innocent now but we should not be dependent on individuals. That cannot be right how long before we get a complete chump at the helm. How do we hold these people to account? 

No, you go, and live in some republic if you don’t like the way things are here.

not overly fussed with the monachy.............but prefer it to being a republic..........they are accountable to the people........you can see that happening now......

i see that kevin the carrot is wanting access to mi6 files for his security teams and for uk to pay for his security.........he should have thought that one out before deserting my septered isle in a silver sea..........think they ought to tell him to walk away in short jerky movements

What would be the alternatives? We tried it once before. Do we try again with Lord Protector Blair? Lord Protector Johnson? No thank you! Or what an apolitcal figure? David Attenborough? Sir Trevor McDonald? Lord Dannart MC? Or some fat bird that once appeared on television's "Loose Women"? No. It might be imperfect and there's too many hangers on and when we locked down with covid did we really miss the ribbon cutting, the handshaking, the tea parties? No. All that could go. But as a formal Head of State it's anachronistic, yes, but I don't relish the alternatives.

Edited by enfieldspares

I suppose you would rather have Biden or Trudeaux or even Putin or any of those creeps in charge of the EU as Head of State. As London Best says , if you prefer that then potter off and live there. Me, I am staying put and believe we have by far the best system of government etc in the world and the Royal family earns us a huge amount of money. I have no time for certain members and past members who have let our Queen down badly. The media will always go out of it's way to drag Prince Charles down and readers will suck up every word printed...example covid with a lot of what was printed now proved to be totally incorrect. A much less important example being the log burner pollution issue which has now been proved to be a 'false plag'. 

48 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

TBH I can't see what the hoo haw is with Charlie boy: A massive 1.5 Million pounds to a charitable cause is worthy of some decent recognition in my book.

Yep lets sell those honours to the highest bidder.

20 minutes ago, holloway said:

Every walk of life has some bad eggs ,politicians ,police,doctors etc etc etc ,I admire the sense of duty shown by the majority.

True but where is the accountability in the Monarchy? Get rid of one and another steps in from the same family.

29 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

and a lot hanging on,

And its so much more than the monarchy. It's the patronage that goes with it from the City of London Club, the honours list, the Officers getting into and coming out of Sandhurst the stench of the Monarchy pervades far and wide. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Guessing your stuck inside and bored today. 

The numbers of tourists the Royal family brings to London every year must be staggering,  I wonder how much revenue that generates in hotels,  shopping,  food & drink, would that all disappear or reduce significantly?

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

And its so much more than the monarchy. It's the patronage that goes with it from the City of London Club, the honours list, the Officers getting into and coming out of Sandhurst the stench of the Monarchy pervades far and wide. 

But none of it affects normal folk getting on with their lives, we don't need the house of Lords really do we, or all the folk made Sirs by being pals with Boris or Blair.

I've no issues the Royalty,  I certainly wouldn't want to do it, and many of them probably do a lot more for charities than we realise.

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

The numbers of tourists the Royal family brings to London every year must be staggering,  I wonder how much revenue that generates in hotels,  shopping,  food & drink, would that all disappear or reduce significantly?

No. It's a nonsense argument. More people queue to visit Versailles Chateau on any single day than visit Buckingham Palace in a whole year. Paris is, after London the second most visited city in Europe and has it is said if you include Versailles the world's top three tourist venues. London has none. People visit for the buildings, the exhibitions, the special events, the museums and other attractions. They don't go for the people. No one goes to Brussels to see the King of Belgium, to Norway or the Netherlands ditto. If there was no monarchy in the UK they'd still go to London. And offset against that "London tourism revenue" the massive amount that we pay in tax to the NHS in Westminster hospitals for accident and emergency to treat foreign tourists that get taken poorly or trip or fall.

6 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No. It's a nonsense argument. More people queue to visit Versailles Chateau on any single day than visit Buckingham Palace in a whole year. Paris is, after London the second most visited city in Europe and has it is said if you include Versailles the world's top three tourist venues. London has none. People visit for the buildings, the exhibitions, the special events, the museums and other attractions. They don't go for the people. No one goes to Brussels to see the King of Belgium, to Norway or the Netherlands ditto. If there was no monarchy in the UK they'd still go to London. And offset against that "London tourism revenue" the massive amount that we pay in tax to the NHS in Westminster hospitals for accident and emergency to treat foreign tourists that get taken poorly or trip or fall.

I had to look, 7 million plus for Versailles, 550k for Buckingham Palace,  but I doubt that includes the numbers who stand outside watching the changing of the guard and such like.

I can't imagine Great Britain without a monarchy. 

21 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Guessing your stuck inside and bored today. 

But none of it affects normal folk getting on with their lives, we don't need the house of Lords really do we, or all the folk made Sirs by being pals with Boris or Blair.

I've no issues the Royalty,  I certainly wouldn't want to do it, and many of them probably do a lot more for charities than we realise.

Too true.

That could stay pretty much the same the any income loss would be ofset by the operational savings.

It effects all of us every day. We just don't realise it. The vast majority of UK very senior management will be ex Harrow, Eaton, Charterhouse etc they often get there through patronage and connections. Even those self made get sucked in with gongs and connections that pervade society like a bad cancer. 

The contribution to charity is from the assets that they looted from the country in the first place.

Answer the question, would you rather have someone like Biden .   His entourage probably cost multi times more than our Royal Family.    Just the convoy which delivers him or any President of the USA to a function would probably finance a doubling of our NHS system if they cut the disgusting salaries of top jobs in that. 

Try North Korea if your dissatisfied with our system.

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I had to look, 7 million plus for Versailles, 550k for Buckingham Palace,  but I doubt that includes the numbers who stand outside watching the changing of the guard and such like.

I can't imagine Great Britain without a monarchy. 

Thank you. And I agree with you for the monarch serves still a useful purpose as it is to the monarch that a soldier swears allegiance (God forbid it was to Blair or Johnson) to to the monarch (God forbid it was to Jack Straw or Priti Patel) that a police officer swears allegiance. We have as such no written "constitution" that as in the USA a person swears allegiance too.

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Answer the question, would you rather have someone like Biden .   His entourage probably cost multi times more than our Royal Family.    Just the convoy which delivers him or any President of the USA to a function would probably finance a doubling of our NHS system if they cut the disgusting salaries of top jobs in that. 

Try North Korea if your dissatisfied with our system.

What's the question mean? Would i rather what was someone like Biden? Queen king monarch president??? Why do we need any particular person?