Blackpowder

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just seen reports on local TV   (just one example)...........a local farm shop fairly big  one has seen its energy rise from £14,000 quid to nearly £ 69.000 quid in a year and a half.................THIS IS NOT UNUSUAL......some of the pub energy bills are now bloody cripling .......

Small buisnesses and medium buisness are going to start chucking the towel in now.....not just 100's but 1000's maybe even tens of 1000's

we will be looking at a total breakdown of society...........the govt are just tinkering at the edges.....all they are thinking about is protecting big buisness...as thats where their pension funds are locked up in.....

Truss and Sunak....are a total waste of space for what comes ahead..........they really need to think....if people dont eat for 4 days anarchy will raise its ugly head...hungry cold people of this country will take to the streets and tear down parliament....proberly set fire to it...and set upon anyone will a politicle context......

im quite worried about the future.........i am always a positive thinker ...glass half full...............but im having difficulty now

get your dictionary out and look up the meaning of "ANARCHY"...........it is on the way...it will effect the city and the country......

the govt are wittering about drilling more oil wells ...Fracking........wont make any difference to the price as it will be sold on thy world market price

TELL ME IM TALKING RUBBISH..............just really think about what i have said first

something big needs to change

4 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

The last proper Free House pub in my local town announced today they are shutting in a couple of weeks.  They've already pared their costs down to the bone but their next energy bill is going to sink them 🥺

That is so sad.............i know how hard people who have their own buisness have to work....and when that happens like kicking someone whilst they are down.......it is utterly soul destroying

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

just seen reports on local TV   (just one example)...........a local farm shop fairly big  one has seen its energy rise from £14,000 quid to nearly £ 69.000 quid in a year and a half.................THIS IS NOT UNUSUAL......some of the pub energy bills are now bloody cripling .......

Small buisnesses and medium buisness are going to start chucking the towel in now.....not just 100's but 1000's maybe even tens of 1000's

we will be looking at a total breakdown of society...........the govt are just tinkering at the edges.....all they are thinking about is protecting big buisness...as thats where their pension funds are locked up in.....

Truss and Sunak....are a total waste of space for what comes ahead..........they really need to think....if people dont eat for 4 days anarchy will raise its ugly head...hungry cold people of this country will take to the streets and tear down parliament....proberly set fire to it...and set upon anyone will a politicle context......

im quite worried about the future.........i am always a positive thinker ...glass half full...............but im having difficulty now

get your dictionary out and look up the meaning of "ANARCHY"...........it is on the way...it will effect the city and the country......

the govt are wittering about drilling more oil wells ...Fracking........wont make any difference to the price as it will be sold on thy world market price

TELL ME IM TALKING RUBBISH..............just really think about what i have said first

I did think about what you said, and no, you are not talking rubbish, now tell me I am talking rubbish.

We have all seen the delay in renewals and suspension of new grants for SGC and FAC, plus some people reporting a shortage of ammo.

is all this really down to Covid/Brexit? or is there a more sinister reason?

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

I wouldn't say your talking rubbish , well not on this post :lol: , I saw on the box last night where Germany are taking it very seriously with the high cost of energy by closing shops early and switching off all the lights ect in there public buildings , as for our pubs , although it won't affect me as I don't drink, but any that are still trading next year will be a one off , you know Yarmouth as well as I do and pubs are shutting up every week and now the visitors are going back they will lose money by trying to stay open , and how long can they afford to do that ? :drinks:

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I wouldn't say your talking rubbish , well not on this post :lol: , I saw on the box last night where Germany are taking it very seriously with the high cost of energy by closing shops early and switching off all the lights ect in there public buildings , as for our pubs , although it won't affect me as I don't drink, but any that are still trading next year will be a one off , you know Yarmouth as well as I do and pubs are shutting up every week and now the visitors are going back they will lose money by trying to stay open , and how long can they afford to do that ? :drinks:

Hello, I think once the October increase bites, lots of businesses , pubs, shops will find it difficult to bear the cost of heating, government buildings, schools might need to reduce hours, I read they might have warm spaces available like libraries , village halls , for those in need in the day time, I remember well the 3 Day week, the coming winter will be a difficult one 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

15 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

All's sorted now, you just need a new kettle

Can definitely recommend one of those insulated kettles, especially if you have a significant other who has a habit of forgetting she's boiled the kettle then turns in on again after 5 mins.  Insulation means it's still at 90-odd-so clicks off almost immediately.

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I see no point in smart meters

As stated, main benefit is the little separate display you get with it.  Allows the more, um, arithmetically challenged, members of the household to see precisely what appliances uses what, and how much it costs, per hour to run.

The tinfoil hat brigade will tell you that you will be the first in the queue to have your power cut if you have a smart meter.  I've got bad news for them, that's not how 'rolling blackouts' (AKA Load shedding in RSA) works.  It's coming to us all, unfortunately (IMHO, of course).  Whether you have a smart meter or not will make precisely zero difference.

Also, it should allow you to be charged for demand pricing, or the modern equivalent of economy 7.  This may be good or bad, depending how you see it, but I personally don't see why I should pay full price for using the juice when there is otherwise low demand.

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

the coming winter will be a difficult one

You are right, it will be, but there are measures that can reasonably be taken, though people won't like them.

Thinking back to 60 years ago when I was a child, we lived in a fairly large farmhouse, and were 'comfortably off'.  However, heating wise - things were MUCH less luxurious than would be expected now.  We got used to living in warm clothes in the winter.

Our house had a solid fuel (basically reconstituted coal) Aga in the kitchen - which was reasonably warm and we had a coal boiler that heated the hot water and did 4 (quite small) radiators which were only ever 'hand hot'.  Then we had an open log fire in our living room that was only lit in the evenings.  My father also had a coke 'slow combustion' stove in his study/office, but it was rarely lit.  Many people only had an open fire, sometimes with a back boiler, and central heating was comparatively rare.

There was no heating upstairs at all.  It was (in cold weather) pretty cold and ice on the inside of windows behind the curtains was not unknown, and pipes inside the house froze in the cold winter of 1962/3.  My father had thermometers in many rooms and I still have some of the thermometers we had then and they show "Temperate" which is what we considered comfortable as being 55 degrees.

My 'normal' winter even now I have the kitchen and living room set to about 65 degrees which is plenty warm enough for me. 

Nowadays people expect to lounge around the house in a T shirt and have everywhere at 70 - 75 degrees.  I think many businesses, pubs, shops will have to be much more careful, and that will include having less warm spaces, especially those spaces which are little used for sedentary work.

IMG_3447.jpeg

Hello, there's a health and safety issue that say a large office with 50 people or warehouse with 100, has to be kept at a certain temp, ?

21 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Can definitely recommend one of those insulated kettles, especially if you have a significant other who has a habit of forgetting she's boiled the kettle then turns in on again after 5 mins.  Insulation means it's still at 90-odd-so clicks off almost immediately.

As stated, main benefit is the little separate display you get with it.  Allows the more, um, arithmetically challenged, members of the household to see precisely what appliances uses what, and how much it costs, per hour to run.

The tinfoil hat brigade will tell you that you will be the first in the queue to have your power cut if you have a smart meter.  I've got bad news for them, that's not how 'rolling blackouts' (AKA Load shedding in RSA) works.  It's coming to us all, unfortunately (IMHO, of course).  Whether you have a smart meter or not will make precisely zero difference.

Also, it should allow you to be charged for demand pricing, or the modern equivalent of economy 7.  This may be good or bad, depending how you see it, but I personally don't see why I should pay full price for using the juice when there is otherwise low demand.

Hello, I keep a thermos flask by to keep any left over boiled water for another tea or coffee , 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You are right, it will be, but there are measures that can reasonably be taken, though people won't like them.

Thinking back to 60 years ago when I was a child, we lived in a fairly large farmhouse, and were 'comfortably off'.  However, heating wise - things were MUCH less luxurious than would be expected now.  We got used to living in warm clothes in the winter.

Our house had a solid fuel (basically reconstituted coal) Aga in the kitchen - which was reasonably warm and we had a coal boiler that heated the hot water and did 4 (quite small) radiators which were only ever 'hand hot'.  Then we had an open log fire in our living room that was only lit in the evenings.  My father also had a coke 'slow combustion' stove in his study/office, but it was rarely lit.  Many people only had an open fire, sometimes with a back boiler, and central heating was comparatively rare.

There was no heating upstairs at all.  It was (in cold weather) pretty cold and ice on the inside of windows behind the curtains was not unknown, and pipes inside the house froze in the cold winter of 1962/3.  My father had thermometers in many rooms and I still have some of the thermometers we had then and they show "Temperate" which is what we considered comfortable as being 55 degrees.

My 'normal' winter even now I have the kitchen and living room set to about 65 degrees which is plenty warm enough for me. 

Nowadays people expect to lounge around the house in a T shirt and have everywhere at 70 - 75 degrees.  I think many businesses, pubs, shops will have to be much more careful, and that will include having less warm spaces, especially those spaces which are little used for sedentary work.

IMG_3447.jpeg

yup that was me too..........i always and still do sleep with the bedroom windows open...often i have woken up and wanted a drink and found that my glass of water had ice over the top...i had a good duvet and an electric blanket to warm the bed up.........love it :yahoo:

i wonder ..(im sure the info is out there) what the fuel bills for wetherspoons has gone up to ????...anyone know ?

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there's a health and safety issue that say a large office with 50 people or warehouse with 100, has to be kept at a certain temp, ???

Yes, and with the combination of the present high energy prices and the worries over 'global warming', maybe it is time to have more environmentally friendly limits.  I am perfectly comfortable at 65 degrees - although I do wear a jersey indoors in winter.

I can see that the buildings like old peoples homes would need to be warmer, but that is a slightly special circumstance.

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i wonder ..(im sure the info is out there) what the fuel bills for wetherspoons has gone up to

I don't know - but again my recollection is that pubs 40 - 50 years ago were typically only heated by an open fire.  No central heating then in the pubs I remember visiting then.

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I think once the October increase bites, lots of businesses , pubs, shops will find it difficult to bear the cost of heating, government buildings, schools might need to reduce hours, I read they might have warm spaces available like libraries , village halls , for those in need in the day time, I remember well the 3 Day week, the coming winter will be a difficult one 🤔

They will be called heat banks.

A certain celebrity vicar has suggested that pubs could be local hubs where those who can’t afford to heat their homes could congregate to keep warm? 🤔
I pointed out that pubs were a business and would expect those keeping warm to buy drinks, and suggested that as the church has so much money perhaps the likes of St Paul’s , Westminster Abbey, York Minster etc etc etc, could open their doors to such people. I know our local church is always heated in winter. 
It’s all gone quiet now though for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

A certain celebrity vicar has suggested that pubs could be local hubs where those who can’t afford to heat their homes could congregate to keep warm? 🤔
I pointed out that pubs were a business and would expect those keeping warm to buy drinks, and suggested that as the church has so much money perhaps the likes of St Paul’s , Westminster Abbey, York Minster etc etc etc, could open their doors to such people. I know our local church is always heated in winter. 
It’s all gone quiet now though for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

Well done, just another celebrity mouthpiece who opens his before thinking it through! :rolleyes:

Could someone please explain to me why the cap here is so high compared to say France? Surely some politicians must have had an inkling of the likely impact and also some control over the idiot that set it?

My wife having severe rheumatoid arthritis requires lots of heat  night and day so I have an interest.

12 minutes ago, old man said:

Could someone please explain to me why the cap here is so high compared to say France?

France hasn't privatised its infrastructure

France has far less of a domestic generation shortfall

France is not an island, and therefore has more options when it comes importing electricity

France has invested in Nuclear

French people like a good riot.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

French people like a good riot.

I'm quite sure that before myself and a lot of others are really affected by any of this there will have been civil unrest,  I'm not expecting any blackouts and the idea that bills are going up to help the Ukraine is only going to last so long.

The pubs were full last weekend,  people were still going on holiday before the kids start back and folk are still paying £1.80 a litre for diesel and sitting around outside cafes and Costa's in the sun.

So when I hear of the impending doom surrounding rising bills I pretty much just shrug my shoulders. 

As has been said before it's going to hit those on a fixed income.