Is it time to bring back the birch?

Rob85

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst I am not at all condoning the woman's method of protest, she may have a point.

It has been interesting to note the surprisingly high number of executive jets that fly over the UK.

Or perhaps it is because I live not far from Biggin Hill

54 minutes ago, amateur said:

Whilst I am not at all condoning the woman's method of protest, she may have a point.

It has been interesting to note the surprisingly high number of executive jets that fly over the UK.

Or perhaps it is because I live not far from Biggin Hill

Was one sector during covid that actually increased. 
People wanted to travel when the Airlines weren’t and felt ‘safer’ from the ‘vid’ by doing so too. 

It caught on and has continued. 
Love how her t-shirt said end ‘UK Private Jets’ when most aren’t on the UK register!!!

There does seem to be an element of anarchy at present. The cretin her poured excrement on the memorial or the idiot who accosted a Tory MP, screaming abuse in his face.

On a bad day, Sharia type punishment or the birch seem attractive, but in the cold light of day it just needs existing laws applied properly. There seems a reluctance to tackle these issues by the Police and CPS. It is high time old fashioned policing was brought back.

The Philips principle of separating investigation from prosecution has a lot to answer for. It might have been done for good and sound reason at the time, but it needs re-thinking.

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

There does seem to be an element of anarchy at present. The cretin her poured excrement on the memorial or the idiot who accosted a Tory MP, screaming abuse in his face.

On a bad day, Sharia type punishment or the birch seem attractive, but in the cold light of day it just needs existing laws applied properly. There seems a reluctance to tackle these issues by the Police and CPS. It is high time old fashioned policing was brought back.

The Philips principle of separating investigation from prosecution has a lot to answer for. It might have been done for good and sound reason at the time, but it needs re-thinking.

Well put Gordon.  :good:

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

it just needs existing laws applied properly. There seems a reluctance to tackle these issues by the Police and CPS.

I agree - BUT in some instances - I think possibly the Bristol Edward Colston statue, the damage to Shell's(?) offices in London etc., and probably others - the police and CPS have brought people to trial - and despite clear directions from the judge - the juries have failed to convict - because they agree with the aim of the protest.

WE know that it isn't about agreeing with the cause, but a straight forward 'did the accused commit the offence of which they are charged - or not?'  The idea that we accept they committed the offence, but we agree with their aims, so find them "not guilty" makes a nonsense of the whole law and nature of trial by jury.  If the trial doesn't have decent chance of a conviction, the CPS will not proceed.  "Woke" juries effectively make trial by jury uncertain.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Just now, Gordon R said:

JohnfromUK - very valid point.

Thank you - but it is one that I don't have any (credible) ideas on how it should be tackled. 

I believe that in some instances, there may be a need to have a non jury trial with a panel of (say three) experts - who might be judges, magistrates etc.  Such might also be helpful in some complex fraud/financial trials where the nature of the law and alleged crime is so complex that it is not reasonable to expect the jury of laymen to grasp the full situation.

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Whats the point of a jury ? she freely admits it and supplies photographic proof, give her a month in prison without the choice of diet [ i would bet shes a vegan.😁]

Or claims to be vegan but conveniently ‘forgets’ occasionally. 

Just now, islandgun said:

she freely admits it

Agreed - and we have seen video evidence - but (assuming she is charged) unless she pleads guilty, she could still claim a jury trial (I think) and so it is possible (on past record) that a jury who 'sympathised with her cause' might find her 'not guilty'.  Bizarre as it seems, I think that is the case.

There is now even a "Jurors Guide to Going Rogue"  http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2021/05/a-jurors-guide-to-going-rogue/

On 02/10/2022 at 12:16, welsh1 said:

I honsetly think that some people like this woman who engage in some of these extreme protests are mentally unstable and a bit brain washed by the "cause"

She's 21, for her whole life all she'll have heard is Climate change catastrophe doom and gloom, from teachers, the media (the bloody BBC bang on about it all the time), they _know_ it's real and a big problem, the world is heading for destruction to the point people aren't having kids.

It's almost child abuse. She should still be charged though.

Nobody is presenting an alternative viewpoint...

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/10/02/fact-checking-bbcs-hurricane-reality-check/

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/09/30/long-term-trends-in-atlantic-hurricane-activity/

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/09/29/big-trouble-in-the-tropical-troposphere/

18 minutes ago, Nial said:

She's 21, for her whole life all she'll have heard is Climate change catastrophe doom and gloom, from teachers, the media (the bloody BBC bang on about it all the time), they _know_ it's real and a big problem, the world is heading for destruction to the point people aren't having kids.

It's almost child abuse. She should still be charged though.

Nobody is presenting an alternative viewpoint...

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/10/02/fact-checking-bbcs-hurricane-reality-check/

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/09/30/long-term-trends-in-atlantic-hurricane-activity/

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/09/29/big-trouble-in-the-tropical-troposphere/

My children are an average age of 21 but they wouldnt consider doing what she has done, as others have said she is a glory seeker, her time would be better spent doing practical, helpful things to improve our lot, plant some trees, pick up litter, etc etc etc

I think it just shows how indoctrinated our society is becoming with extreme left views. It's weaved right throughout society, including the media, education, politics, policing and just about any other government institution. Kids these days are so radicalised with it, they believe doing things like this is justified and even some jury's won't convict. 

Like I've said in other threads, we need a new political party or this country is finished, the ones we have at the moment, particularly the cons and Labour are simply refusing to give its citizens what they want as they know that they will always get back in to power. 

16 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think it just shows how indoctrinated our society is becoming with extreme left views. It's weaved right throughout society, including the media, education, politics, policing and just about any other government institution. Kids these days are so radicalised with it, they believe doing things like this is justified and even some jury's won't convict. 

Like I've said in other threads, we need a new political party or this country is finished, the ones we have at the moment, particularly the cons and Labour are simply refusing to give its citizens what they want as they know that they will always get back in to power. 

Rife in schools, university's and social media.

As a single handed protest, this was successful in that it made the front pages of several papers. No permanent damage was caused (poo from birds lands on statues every day) and nobody got hurt.

In response, the title questions whether she should be birched - i.e. stripped and beaten savagely with a bundle of sticks. Would this prospect have stopped her ? - I think not. A fair number of climate protesters are in jail right now and the prospect did not deter them. They are as certain of their cause as the Tolpuddle martyrs or the suffragettes (other examples are available) so it's hard to see harsher punishments stopping their actions.

Climate change is unfortunately real, rather than an "extreme left" conspiracy. Why left ? - no idea. But you can choose to believe whatever makes you feel better as the consequences are inevitable now anyway, and I see no reason to take any action.