BARBOUR WAX COTTON

DUNKS

55 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi guys I have a hankering after getting one of these. "The Bedale" what are your thoughts on this coat? I know they can be a bit cold but I have many fleeces to wear underneath and anyway you can buy a warm lining.

I had a Bedale many years ago.  Quite a short 'trim' cut if I remember right, I think the style possibly aimed more at the horse riding fraternity?  It was fine and I liked the design ........ but waxed cotton is not for me now there are so many alternatives available. 

Biggest downsides to me are the stiffness when it's cold and the wax transfer onto things like car seats - OK in my old Defender on which the 30 year old seat covers almost have their own wax coating - but not good if I get a lift in someone's smart clean car with light coloured upholstery!

I also find that the old waxed coat styles tend to get pretty 'ripe' if they are used a lot!

Great for thorns but not as good as modern waterproof gear, they are horrible if you take them off at lunchtime and have to go back out, cold, stiff and damp on the inside. 

We are fortunate to have the outlet nearby and got my wife a synthetic waterproof jacket last year and we had a walk on the beach while it tipped down and kept her cosy and dry, I was in my tweed jacket but I wouldn't have liked to be in waxed cotton. 

As mentioned above, the Bedale was initially designed for equestrian use - quite short. It was trendy for a while. However fabric technology has moved on a long way now. I remember my old Barbour Solway. It was the main outdoor coat of its day and kept me dry (mostly), however it was like wearing cold cardboard. I definitely wouldn’t have one now. 

No one has mentioned the fact that they stink absolutely rank.  And have to be continually  greased or else the material cracks and a hole develops at the end of the crack.  What this means is that in circumstances of wetness, the liquid migrates down the crease and suddenly you experience a sensation of very cold water running down your leg or wherever.  The first time  I  encountered this was beating through kale. An emotional event.

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Thanks all. Thought never entered my head about the wax emigrating onto car seats. Mine are off white leather. Think I will give the coat a miss.

Wax Barbours are strictly an outdoor coat. You don’t wear them around furniture or car seats (except old plastic Land Rover seats). The coat needs to travel in the load space and you put it on when you get out.

Goretex is good when its new, but once it gets dirty to the point they need washing , they are never as good again, despite the correct use of reproofing treatments. Barbours though a bit heavy nowadays and stiff in the cold and you sweat a bit in them, will remain waterproof and keep going. I liked the lightweight Durham the best, but the fabric would eventually wear through.  I think the military used the Durham unofficially.

Edited by morgan

The only Barbour wax coat I have got now is the Norththumbria , this is a fairly heavy jacket but I have to admit it is 99.9 waterproof , I wore it on a shoot day last year that was one of the wettest days we had shot on for a number of years , in the end the guns called it a day at dinner time and we thankfully went home to dry out , my top half was bone dry but silly me had waterproof trousers that went inside my wellies , yes you have guessed right , my feet were soaken and I had to dry the inside of the wellies out .

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The only Barbour wax coat I have got now is the Norththumbria , this is a fairly heavy jacket but I have to admit it is 99.9 waterproof , I wore it on a shoot day last year that was one of the wettest days we had shot on for a number of years , in the end the guns called it a day at dinner time and we thankfully went home to dry out , my top half was bone dry but silly me had waterproof trousers that went inside my wellies , yes you have guessed right , my feet were soaken and I had to dry the inside of the wellies out .

Age but no experience!    :lol:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

37 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Age but no experience!    :lol:

Would you believe it T C  , I take a spare outer garment if the forecast is for a wet day so I can slip a dry coat on for the afternoon sesson and in my bag is a pair of Le Chameau treggings that slip over the wellies dead easy , but I know what your thinking , they won't keep my feet dry while they are resting in my grub bag , and yes once again you are 100% correct , Do you want to buy a quality pair of treggins that have seen little use ? :lol:

46 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Would you believe it T C  , I take a spare outer garment if the forecast is for a wet day so I can slip a dry coat on for the afternoon sesson and in my bag is a pair of Le Chameau treggings that slip over the wellies dead easy , but I know what your thinking , they won't keep my feet dry while they are resting in my grub bag , and yes once again you are 100% correct , Do you want to buy a quality pair of treggins that have seen little use ? 

Yes I would believe it, I often do the same.   :good:

BUT I do NOT put my waterproof trousers inside my Wellington boots!   :rolleyes:  

Would I wear a Barbour on a driven shoot... No. Do I wear on on our rough syndicate.... Damn straight. It's a Northumbria, kept me dry in soggy day today and doesn't mind being pushed through the thick. It's very water proof if you wax it each summer, heard wearing and a comfortable practical shooting coat over treggings. It's also heavy, a bit sweaty if you don't vent and a but greasy. Although if you have a fancy car I don't expect you will be out in a rough shoot anyway.

Hello, i only use my wax coats on my walk to the river or maybe fishing, I find my wax waist coat better with a waterproofed fleece for shooting, or beating, I have a Barbour border for best 😁, I also have a Aussie wax coat and a poncho , not that I wear the latter, my border cost less than the zipper I bought new back in the day when Barbour was the new cool coat, 

You can always repair a wax jacket, not so with modern water proofs.

I've still got my Solway Zipper its one of the last batch and was dry waxed. The original zip and studs are still in perfect condition. I returned it to Barber a couple of years ago to re-wax and repair the lining and tidy up. The cost me nearly what I paid for it in the late 80s early 90s and was returned wet waxed but hey still well worth it. I reckon it'll out live me.

On 30/12/2022 at 12:00, Fellside said:

As mentioned above, the Bedale was initially designed for equestrian use - quite short. It was trendy for a while. However fabric technology has moved on a long way now. I remember my old Barbour Solway. It was the main outdoor coat of its day and kept me dry (mostly), however it was like wearing cold cardboard. I definitely wouldn’t have one now. 

I still have my grandad's Solway Zipper, as well as a Northumbria and Logshoreman smock. Not been worm for sometime.