Question Time

old'un

watched question time last night and part of the debate was about altering the wording in certain books.

So is the altering of words in books by authors such as Roald Dahl complete woke madness.

These are just a few examples.

Augustus Gloop is no longer “fat,” he’s “enormous.”

Mrs Twit from The Twits is no longer “ugly,” just “beastly.”

The words “black” and “white” have been removed; the BFG.

Instead of being called "small men," Oompa-Loompas are now "small people."

References to “mothers” and “fathers” have been updated to “parents” or “family.”

I maybe missing something here but do not children learn about a word from association? “The cat sat on the matt” being a good example of word association.

So the new word for “fat” is now “enormous” so in the future will “enormous” be removed from books because children will start to associate the word “enormous” with someone who is fat.

Its no longer “The Fat Controller” but “The Enormous Controller”

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the thought police are here..........you will be monitered in your home and in private next..........years ago we used to laugh about the suggestion.....its not so funny now is it...?

And they already have the perfect tool for such...The Mobile.

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the thought police are here..........you will be monitered in your home and in private next..........years ago we used to laugh about the suggestion.....its not so funny now is it...?

It is already here - nice presentation from Davos this year - I wait for the nay-sayers to have a go - and it is also covered quite funnily by Russel Brand - but it is scary

and this has been picked up by a number of other commentators

26 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Country's going to pot so we will change words in kids books too help unbelievable 

Glad I was born when I was, its no wonder kids are mixed up today.

You can just see the future.

“The Enormous Controller”

But, mummy sorry, parent why is the controller called enormous?...Parent…...errrrr? Well child its like this???

I wouldn't have a Dahl book in my house even if I were paid to have it.

Roald Dahl is one of those Peter Sellars type folk. Beneath the outward perception of him a not at all nice person in some aspects and who infamously, Dahl, said this:

“There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it’s a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews,” he said. “I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.”

Edited by enfieldspares

36 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Roald Dahl is one of those Peter Sellars type folk. Beneath the outward perception of him a not at all nice person in some aspects and who infamously, Dahl, said this:

it wasn't so much about a particular persons/authors personality, it was more about altering any written text that I object to.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

everyone has skeletons in the cupboard.............Churchill refered to Gahndi as a "dirty little fakir in a nappy"..........:w00t:

if the thought police got into my brain...they would have a meltdown...and i would end up doing 15,000 years in jail ...:lol:

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Churchill refered to Gahndi as a "dirty little fakir in a nappy"..........

And, classic Churchill managing to insult BOTH Ghandi and members of that Inn of Court as "a seditious Middle Temple lawyer" as apparently in Churchill's time it was the Inn that those "not quite our sort" (middle class) would  join.

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Danny, Champion of the World is a great book, and one every countryman should have read as a child.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

And they already have the perfect tool for such...The Mobile.

You were right with the 'perfect tool '  ! It just wasn't the mobile I had in mind though  !   🙄

1 hour ago, Rem260 said:

It gets worse. In America some banks have been closing accounts when they have seen that their customers have bought anything gun related.

The Co-Op bank were doing that here years ago  !

I haven’t watched Question Time for years. Not since Fiona Bruce became chair /madam chair / chairperson / lady chairman / chair lady (not to be confused with charlady, although there are similarities). She has no idea on how to keep dominant gob sh-eyetes under control nor how to get panelists to answer the question they were asked rather than the question they would have liked to have been  asked. Bring back Robin Day.

2 hours ago, countryman said:

Maybe the Human race is nearly done, a lot of the younger generation want to cancel everything , and a lot of them have done nothing in life yet.

you know the more I look at society today I do wonder if you are not far off with that, perhaps its time for a reset of the human race.

Its, as was clearly pointed out on question time because netflix have bought all the rights for dahls works that this old story has resurfaced, 

it was puffin books and dahls estate who a while back changed the words to suit the modern buyer, people wernt buying the books due to the content, 20%/usa and 10%/uk of kids are obese hence many parents not buying books with 'fatty' etc as a descriptor for a generally unpleasant type of child, ugly children are always nasty little fekkers in dahls works, the uglier they are, the nastier is often the case, so just as when dahl himself changed the script to sell more copies so have his heirs, tbh its theirs to change whatever they want, obviously cash rather than whitewashing or such plays the major part in their decision,

Before QT even started last night I watched the news and felt bedraggled.

Then it started and Fiona Bruce had some sort of grip on the imbeciles on the panel.

Next up some debate on the taffs not having any new roads in their beloved lands, because they's prefer fancy lunches more than roads.

United Kingdom ? All for the greater good......? 

Scotland and Wales can make their own way as far as i'm concerned. Fed up with the bitching and moaning about the English (the huge majority) dragging everything down to gutter level. Take your own taxes and revenues and Westminster shoulds keep English money from taxes . See how you get on in the land of independence. See if the EU will accept your great countries. Just do it !    

Show your metal rather than keep sponging and run your own parliaments and live by your elected. 

These "debates" are nothing short of an embarrassment !    

Edited by Whitebridges