Putin and the ICC

ditchman

Quite surprised to turn the tv on and see the headlines that Putin has had an arrest warrant put on him by the ICC

dont know if that is a good idea or not.....................definatly no way back for him now....and how will the chinese treat another president with an arrest warrant on his head....they have a hell of alot to lose..

Gaddaffi had an arrest warrant on his head as well....(and that didnt end well)

Putin is going to be like a cornered rat now...as he must have seen Gaddaffi being dragged out of a culvert and shot

13 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It makes headlines, but I suspect will be meaningless in reality.

"meaningless" being the operative word....................

on a tangant now ............i understand there is still a group "out there"...still trying to put enough eveidence together for the same thing to happen to Tony Blair.....

perhaps it will now stop Macron "grandstanding" on his peace making visits to the USSR..............mind you thats the least of Macrons probs at the moment as a result of raising the retiring age to those lazy frogs..:lol:

This confused me. I saw the title and thought, 'How has Putin managed to pick a fight with the International Cricket Council?' Fair enough he's a bit of a power-crazed megalomaniac, but invading cricket is a bit of a stretch.

International Criminal Court makes a touch more sense, although the former would at least result in something significant happening

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Quite surprised to turn the tv on and see the headlines that Putin has had an arrest warrant put on him by the ICC

dont know if that is a good idea or not.....................definatly no way back for him now....and how will the chinese treat another president with an arrest warrant on his head....they have a hell of alot to lose..

Putin is going to be like a cornered rat now...as he must have seen Gaddaffi being dragged out of a culvert and shot

Russia will be swamped by bounty hunters now.:lol:

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

This confused me. I saw the title and thought, 'How has Putin managed to pick a fight with the International Cricket Council?' Fair enough he's a bit of a power-crazed megalomaniac, but invading cricket is a bit of a stretch.

International Criminal Court makes a touch more sense, although the former would at least result in something significant happening

You need to check "The wisdoms Almanach" 2020.......

Lords were hosting the international presidents cricket match..........

Karmel Harris was at the crease...Biden was wandering about at the bowlers end...Demitry Kasperkoff bowled a googlie...took Karmel Harris by surprise and she stepped back (to everyones consternation onto the stumps)

whilst the umpire (dickie bird) was extracting the bale from her back door......on rushed president Trump and tampered with Presidents Putins ball.....who was standing legs akimbo at silly mid off......we are also led to believe that a small ammount of electricity was applied as well........

this was all captured by a geo-statioary orbital spy saterlite   and the evidence was then passed to the MCC and the ICC for further investigation.......

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

Cornered?

Where will he be cornered?

It is all just pointless procedural twaddle!

It’s an interesting one - the ICC issued warrants not just against Putin but some ‘middle managers’ too, thereby implying everyone in the pecking order from middle manager all the way up to Putin is now in the firing line. 

Yes if Putin never leaves Russia it’s hardly likely we’re ever going to see him in Court, but it is pressure on his regime because everyone is going to feel that heat. 

If you think of all of the people with dosh and vested interests in Russia who have lost out because of Putin’s mad Ukrainian venture - not just Oligarchs losing football clubs and yachts.

Whilst Putin has been busily poisoning, murdering and otherwise throwing his opposition out of windows, soon there’s not going to be enough windows…

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Russia, Chine, USA and Ukraine did not sign up to the ICC.

So they have no durisdiction over those countries.

On the other hand the UK did sign up and I do wonder how Blair has not had an arrest warrant issued, along with others for Iraq?

Ukraine signed but did not ratify. 

If he survives I suspect Putin will be handed over in exchange for sanction relief and retribution. 

17 hours ago, Gordon R said:

It makes headlines, but I suspect will be meaningless in reality.

In reality it means he officially an international pariah and to be avoided at all costs. Only the Syrian and Iranian and North Korean regimes may still support him.  It also tells the oppressed Russain people what the world thinks of their leader.

The war has dragged on and on, with no sign of it ending. Whether you are a fan of Putin or Zelensky - I have little time for either of them - innocent people are dying with no conclusive ending in sight. When it started, it was suggested Putin would be dead in a month, Russia would quickly overrun Ukraine and the West wouldn't really be involved.

Fast forward over a year, the best we can come up with is an arrest warrant. I had hoped China would be pressuring Russia to withdraw or make some attempt at peace, but there are no signs.

Ukraine insists there will be no peace until Russians leave their country. The Russians are clearly the aggressors, but have to win or face humiliation.

Where do members realistically see the situation in say three or six months time?

55 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Where do members realistically see the situation in say three or six months time?

About where it is now.

One thing is 100% clear to me.  IF Russia had occupied Ukraine fully, it would have been continuously attacked from within by 'resistance' and been a massive festering sore - just as both the Russians and The West found in Afghanistan.  In the long term it always was a pointless and stupid invasion - even if you believed Russian rhetoric that it would be 'over in days'.

Russia (allegedly) had one of the most powerful armed forces on the planet - but have proved utterly hopeless.  They rely on mercenaries (called Wagner), but they have not proved much better.  Russian intelligence reportedly told Putin that his army would be welcomed with cheering crowds - which also proved completely wrong.  The whole thing has been proved to be a massive mistake by Putin - but he has no way out.  Hence it will remain roughly where it is now.