Emergency Alerts: The Government’s new warning service goes live.

Robden

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched them off on my phone. There was an option to switch off "extreme alerts" or "severe alerts" or both.

They'll be sending severe alerts when the temp gets over 75 degrees or there's 1mm of snow on the ground. Extreme alerts when it hits 80.

9 hours ago, discobob said:

Nobody can answer if pressing confirm goes back to somewhere central - say with your GPS coordinates 

Also, what if your driving and it goes off and has to be confirmed- and a copper sees you?

Presumably the "copper" will be receiving the same text!

If I am shooting a competition my phone will be in the glove box.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here you go boys.  AND to those who are hermits. live under a rock.  wear a tin foil hat, ne'ar-do-wells, general folk who think that they are important enough to merit government time and attention, terrorists and weirdos. Oh and religious menaces, odd balls who come round informing that the end of the world is neigh, Kwis types.  Forgive me if I have not encompassed all variants.  ANYWAY it's..... A message with a siren at 15:00 BST on 23 April will say "in a real emergency, follow the instructions in the alert to keep yourself and others safe".---------YOU WILL OBEY... OR ELSE ....... EXTERMINATE.

Link...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65290166

12 minutes ago, Minky said:

Well here you go boys.  AND to those who are hermits. live under a rock.  wear a tin foil hat, ne'ar-do-wells, general folk who think that they are important enough to merit government time and attention, terrorists and weirdos. Oh and religious menaces, odd balls who come round informing that the end of the world is neigh, Kwis types.  Forgive me if I have not encompassed all variants.  ANYWAY it's..... A message with a siren at 15:00 BST on 23 April will say "in a real emergency, follow the instructions in the alert to keep yourself and others safe".---------YOU WILL OBEY... OR ELSE ....... EXTERMINATE.

Link...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65290166

im having Soylant green for sunday lunch...................

On 21/03/2023 at 06:31, Robden said:

Is this a precursor to the UK/USA giving Ukraine the aircraft they've been asking for?  Just in case Mr Putin is stupid enough to send us a present?

I am leaving alerts on because if Mr Putin does send us a present I will have plenty of time to follow the Governments instructions on how to build a temporary fallout shelter. :)

I don't think it matters, phone on or off. Someone somewhere is watching and listening to you 24/7.

Yesterday I said to my wife in person not on the phone, my tinnitus was bad, the rest of yesterday and today I'm bombarded with spam emails and adverts popping up for "magic" cures to get rid of tinnitus. 

Meanwhile.......big brother or sister or aunty or they, them it continue to monitor.......

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I don't think it matters, phone on or off. Someone somewhere is watching and listening to you 24/7.

Yesterday I said to my wife in person not on the phone, my tinnitus was bad, the rest of yesterday and today I'm bombarded with spam emails and adverts popping up for "magic" cures to get rid of tinnitus. 

Meanwhile.......big brother or sister or aunty or they, them it continue to monitor.......

similar thing happens to me..............i was carping on about no NHS dentists ..i need dentures blah blah blah................for the next 3 weeks im bombarded with care home costs...funeral plans...will writing.services.................spooky ehy ?

Anyone who owns a mobile phone is known and your location is known. How do you think you get a signal... The mast will hold the phone details ( MAC address) and this will then be able to be seen.. how else do you think police get information for high profile SOC cases.. you can pin point where anyone is at any time by the phone pinging the masts. Get three pinging and you can triangulate pretty damn spot on location 

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

im having Soylant green for sunday lunch...................

I don't believe that fact is important enough  to warrant the government marking you up as a subversive.

8 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Just turn the emergency alerts off on your device, job's a goodun.

I  don't think that you can. You have to acknowledge receipt before you can use the item.

8 hours ago, JKD said:

Read on the BBC report for this,,,, "Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can continue using their devices." ???

This.

I don't  see what the problem with this alert is.  As soon as you are born you are in the system. You have a national insurance number. A tax record, an NHS number.  Umpteen things.  If you are connected to the internet in any way you have an identity.  A lot of vehicles are connected to the manufacturer and that vehicle can be tracked as to everything about that vehicle.  That's how some bloke who shot and killed someone with a crossbow was identified, tracked and convicted.  even though he had burnt the vehicle.  Unless you don't  exist you are known and in the system.

7 hours ago, Centrepin said:

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

similar thing happens to me..............i was carping on about no NHS dentists ..i need dentures blah blah blah................for the next 3 weeks im bombarded with care home costs...funeral plans...will writing.services.................spooky ehy ?

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Anyone who owns a mobile phone is known and your location is known. How do you think you get a signal... The mast will hold the phone details ( MAC address) and this will then be able to be seen.. how else do you think police get information for high profile SOC cases.. you can pin point where anyone is at any time by the phone pinging the masts. Get three pinging and you can triangulate pretty damn spot on location 

If this is happening you need to have a look into your settings and notifications.

Edited by Minky

10 hours ago, Minky said:

If this is happening you need to have a look into your settings and notifications

If what is happening?! It's nothing to do with settings. Mobile phones emit a signal. That signal is traceable by the carrier company and everytime you phone talked to a receiver a connection is made. And logged. 

If you own a mobile the authorities know exactly where you are. It's that simple.

12 hours ago, Minky said:
14 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Lol half my county doesn't get a phone signal on most carriers, We had a lad disappear 3 weeks ago , sent a text to his girlfriend then vanished, the police didn't know where his call came from, they started a search by the last time someone saw him by a slip way in his car, yesterday his body washed up.

You may be able to trace people in densely populated areas but not so easy in a rural location.

If you don't want to recieve the alert  simply turn that option off.

Screenshot_20230417-101723.png

Screenshot_20230417-101738.png

5 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Lol half my county doesn't get a phone signal on most carriers, We had a lad disappear 3 weeks ago , sent a text to his girlfriend then vanished, the police didn't know where his call came from, they started a search by the last time someone saw him by a slip way in his car, yesterday his body washed up.

You may be able to trace people in densely populated areas but not so easy in a rural location.

If you don't want to recieve the alert  simply turn that option off.

Screenshot_20230417-101723.png

Screenshot_20230417-101738.png

How you getting that alert if you say it's that poor signal? 

I am not saying about the alerts I'm pointing out that most of the time the people who need to know.know...