Ireland and Presidents USA

ditchman

why is it that all USA presidents have to find a connection (family) with Ireland ?https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-11-12/joe-biden-could-the-us-president-elect-have-roots-in-rural-cambridgeshire

all i can say ...pity Cambridgeshire..............would that explain the high %age of Dementia cases in that area ?

It's all about votes Ditchy, there's a massive amount of americans who either are or claim to have irish ancestors, thing is iirc that most americans who claim irish descent are actually more likely to be descended from Scots. I did read this somewhere many years ago, what is believed to cause the confusion is that the last stop before crossing the Atlantic on the ships was Dublin or Belfast, which led people to think they have irish descendants.

s

7 hours ago, scobydog said:

It's all about votes Ditchy, there's a massive amount of americans who either are or claim to have irish ancestors, thing is iirc that most americans who claim irish descent are actually more likely to be descended from Scots. I did read this somewhere many years ago, what is believed to cause the confusion is that the last stop before crossing the Atlantic on the ships was Dublin or Belfast, which led people to think they have irish descendants.

s

When in America we came across loads of “Irish” people, who could name a tiny deserted town in Ireland that they supposedly “came from”, yet they had never left the USA. 

They only lived with other “Irish” people, in “Irish” communities, with stronger Irish accents than people from actual Ireland. 

I recall one of the Kennedys having a mooch about in N.Ireland many years ago, when he said to a squaddie on patrol…’Why don’t you just go home?’ to which the squaddie replied. 

‘Why don’t you? I live here!’ 

🙂

Edited by Scully

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

I recall one of the Kennedys having a mooch about in N.Ireland many years ago, when he said to a squaddie on patrol…’Why don’t you just go home?’ to which the squaddie replied. 

‘Why don’t you? I live here!’ 

🙂

Yeah coming from a country that committed genocide on its native inhabitants, a native American could have asked Kennedy the same question.

8 hours ago, scobydog said:

It's all about votes Ditchy, there's a massive amount of americans who either are or claim to have irish ancestor....

Yes. The country is full of these "hyphen"-Americans. Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans and etc. Yet you rarely hear of French-Americans or English-Americans? I guess the true American-Americans are those who are now called "Native" Americans. African-Americans I can understand as they had no choice in their arrival there but for the others? They presumably made a choice, paid a ticket or a fare and went there voluntarily even if under duress of domestic circumstance?

Edited by enfieldspares

On 10/04/2023 at 12:21, ditchman said:

why is it that all USA presidents have to find a connection (family) with Ireland ?https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-11-12/joe-biden-could-the-us-president-elect-have-roots-in-rural-cambridgeshire

all i can say ...pity Cambridgeshire..............would that explain the high %age of Dementia cases in that area ?

I believe he can trace more of his ancestry to West Sussex, but as he is no friend of the English, you can forget that.

On 10/04/2023 at 22:21, ditchman said:

POTUS has just announced he will be running for president 2024.................jeeesus chrust hasnt someone ever told him enough is enough.........why cant he just die in peace...

Oh he did, it is a robot you are seeing!   :cool1:

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

I believe he can trace more of his ancestry to West Sussex, but as he is no friend of the English, you can forget that.

That's right, his Irish connection is quite distant but he plays on it to get votes.

You don't hear trump boasting about his German ancestry though.

watching POTUS arrive at the Irish parliament was reminicant of watching someones old nan being interred in a end of life care home.........

im sure he will be tucking into a nice bowl of potatoes in a while................

will this appearance and speech involve a seance ?

Edited by ditchman

A former work colleague & matelot, tells the story of being on shore leave in the US.  He was in a bar drinking with his crewmates and a few USN personnel when a couple of people came in collecting for 'the cause' in Ireland.  At that moment, the TV in the bar showed news of the Hyde Park IRA attack.  The IRA collectors were...swiftly shown the door apparently, and a few self-identified (now ex) donors expressed their disgust at the tactics employed by the IRA.

well ...im sure we are all relieved that POTUS et al have had a good time....Gud ole cotton eyed Joe  was seen climbing the stairs of Airforce one...wearing hobnail boots and a 3/4 lenghth camel haired coat...with a copy of "the best jokes of Dave Allen"...tucked into his back pocket .....

.....closely followed by Hunter O'Biden...with his hunting dogs 2 dead hares newly tattoed knuckles saying **** the brits....wearing a leather pork pie hat....

how lucky we are that the special relationship is intact and the free world is safe

:good:...

And, was his supposed gaffe in confusing the All Blacks with the Black a Tans not an error at all but a deliberate reminder of history so as to emphasise his vote catching anti British pro Irish heritage.

Edited by Bobba

12 hours ago, Bobba said:

And, was his supposed gaffe in confusing the All Blacks with the Black a Tans not an error at all but a deliberate reminder of history so as to emphasise his vote catching anti British pro Irish heritage.

Where you offended by this?? This is a shooting forum.  And I know this is "Off topic ".. but I'm sure its definitely not a solely English forum.  And to me this topic has been "sneery" to say the least,  by some individuals.  

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

well ...im sure we are all relieved that POTUS et al have had a good time....Gud ole cotton eyed Joe  was seen climbing the stairs of Airforce one...wearing hobnail boots and a 3/4 lenghth camel haired coat...with a copy of "the best jokes of Dave Allen"...tucked into his back pocket .....

.....closely followed by Hunter O'Biden...with his hunting dogs 2 dead hares newly tattoed knuckles saying **** the brits....wearing a leather pork pie hat....

how lucky we are that the special relationship is intact and the free world is safe

:good:...

Slightly insultful  in a in direct way!..

9 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Where you offended by this?? This is a shooting forum.  And I know this is "Off topic ".. but I'm sure its definitely not a solely English forum.  And to me this topic has been "sneery" to say the least,  by some individuals.  

As someone who has friends of over 50 yrs standing from Kildare to Kilrush there was no “English only” in my comments. This topic is about US Presidents and my post was a Cynical comment about the vote catching strategy of the current president who hopes to stand again. No further comment.